Port or Crows, who's been more successful in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think supporters of both clubs think they should of got one more Premiership than they do.

The rivalry is good and I am as guilty as anyone of getting involved but I think sometimes both clubs focus too much on the other and lose sight of the bigger picture.

I think at times both clubs have got comfortable when the other club is struggling and it's been to their detriment.

I'd trade all the showdown wins for a premiership if I could.

I think supporters of both clubs think they should of got one more Premiership than they do.

The rivalry is good and I am as guilty as anyone of getting involved but I think sometimes both clubs focus too much on the other and lose sight of the bigger picture.

I think at times both clubs have got comfortable when the other club is struggling and it's been to their detriment.

Nah. U win a flag .. what's the first question from media "can you go back to back?" Can't enjoy it. No mad Monday as such now.

A Showdown win u can enjoy for 6 months 😶‍🌫️

That is a great point and I never thought of it like that.

Maybe from a player point of view, but from a Port Adelaide supporter point of view, just win. Win bloody everything!!!

What we as a supporter group have struggled with since Hinkley became coach, is our uncompetitiveness against the contenders. Knocking off Melbourne the other night gave the fan base a much needed injection of hope that success is possible once again. Just need to keep it up against other contenders to grow the confidence.

Anyone claiming its not flags clearly hasnt seen their team win enough flags.

Its literally the only thing which matters.

Except when it comes to Coach of the Year awards. Then its about whichever team did better than expected.
Geelong more successful than Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne according to that graph. That's despite Geelong having won three less flags than that aforementioned trio of clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide.

Wasn't going to matter whether they got the first or second licence- they were always going to win the popularity contest by virtue of not being Port Adelaide. The first licence, however, did give them the ideal platform to build significant financial backing with sponsors lining up, as well as a strong membership base.

The metric of success, on field, is premierships. 2 AFL premierships to 1 has them in front in this space.

Overall wins, finals, making grand finals only count as a tiebreaker if equal on flags. Hence why Essendon and Carlton are above us despite us leading head to head against every Victorian team, having the highest winning percentage in the league, making grand finals more than anyone else, etc.

Success is measured in premierships. Nothing else matters. Crows have 2 Port only 1, therefore at present Crows are more successful

If success is defined by no of flags, Adelaide...but we should also consider time in league. For Port its one in 26 seasons, for Adelaide two in 32 seasons...a strike rate of one every 16 years. But we should distinguish premiership success from overall performance. By that metric Port has more minor premierships, slightly better h2h etc. Would say Port has performed better, also if you consider they're 6 years younger in the AFL.

Both clubs are underachievers and none of the flags matter really when you consider they came about off the back of being handed state teams.
That both clubs took 7/8yrs to achieve success from their startup suggests their developments at AFL level we're as expected. West Coast also took a similar trajectory from inception to initial flag, albeit 6yrs. So too GWS at 8yrs for a GF appearance.
I guess one could argue that Port probably had it harder as both us and Brisbane, who we're also rejuvenated through Fitzroy folding, peaked at the same time, whereas Adelaide we're setup at a time when no other new club was gifted the same advantage.
Since we've had to fend for ourselves without AFL player handouts both clubs have only made 1 each and failed in GF's.

Last edited:
Considering how strong an AFL state SA is, it’s disappointing how few both of them have won really. Crows should have picked up one in that 2002-2006 odd period and Port should have got one more in either of their periods finishing up top.

Considering how strong an AFL state SA is, it’s disappointing how few both of them have won really. Crows should have picked up one in that 2002-2006 odd period and Port should have got one more in either of their periods finishing up top.
It highlights how hard it is for interstate clubs to win the GF in Melbourne.
Throw WC into the equation as another football state and apart from their initial success with a gifted state team, they've only managed to beat a non Vic club in Sydney and Collingwobbles in the dying minutes.

Hard to argue with that logic.
It just comes down to how you define successful.

Port fans will be right with you.
Crows fans will say flags

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Port fan here - the whole point of being in the competition is to win flags. H&A wins are all well and good, and i'm certainly one that feels we should be placing a much bigger emphasis on the minor premier - It takes a lot more to be on top after 20 something rounds vs winning a few games at the pointy end of the season. A few key injuries, loss of form, everything clicking together (or a combination of those) can be all that's needed to win a premiership. (and no, i'm not saying that's the case every season)

It's hard to deny that the Crows have been the more successful AFL club oweing to the 2 prems vs 1.

Shows how hard it is to win it as an interstate club. Not only do we have to win in Melbourne, it's at a ground that most interstate clubs rarely get to play at. Some clubs would be lucky to play 3 games a season at the MCG, and often end up playing against a club that plays there week in week out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back