Port Or North Which teams performances have been strangest this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Both sides have simply been strange in how they have performed in 2019 one week they have been trash and the next week they have looked like premiership material.

North HAS SIMPLY BEEn inconsistent by losing games by big margins and going on a losing streak followed by suddenly winning games and also by big margins.

Port on the other hand has managed to drop games god knows how that they should have won easily while they have shocked teams like Adelaide and Geelong who nobody was really thinking they could beat.

Last night's game incredibly was another good example of both teams weird form with North stunning the power by smashing them when they were predicted to win with North coming off a smacking the week before and kicking only one goal.

So who has been the stranger team to watch this year in terms of their match results? Personally I think it is fairly even as I cannot remember a time recently when two sides have been so totally unpredictable and inconsistent.

Port have been the biggest up and down performer of the year by a long way.

What amuses me is some in the media never learn, they have a great win and they're are declared the new dark horse for the flag but they forget about the atrocious losses they have had.

IMO Ken Hinkley has had enough time to get it right, hand the reins over to someone else.

Gold Coast's start to the year was the weirdest thing I have seen in a long, long time.
I had them losing every game by 40-50 points but they started on fire. Not sure how they managed to win so many early games with such a lack of any genuine talent across the field.

Gold Coast's start to the year was the weirdest thing I have seen in a long, long time.
I had them losing every game by 40-50 points but they started on fire. Not sure how they managed to win so many early games with such a lack of any genuine talent across the field.
I wouldn't really say they started the year on fire when the 3 games they won were all by under a goal

Freo is up there. Beaten 4 of the top 6 but also lost to the bottom 3 teams.

I don't think Port have had a strange year, this has been the norm during Hinkley's tenure. It's now the 5th year in a row of them prickteasing their supporters. NM were simply a good team being held back by a poor coach and subsequently improved after he was sacked.

See if you can figure out where Port Adelaide fall down...

2nd in disposals per game
1st in contested possessions per game
1st in clearances per game
1st in centre clearances per game
1st in inside 50s per game
1st in metres gained per game
5th in tackles per game
1st in intercept possessions per game
1st in one percenters per game
2nd in tackles inside 50 per game

14th in disposal efficiency
1st in turnovers per game
17th in rebound 50s per game
10th in marks inside 50 per game
18th in contested marks per game
16th in running bounces per game

10th in points per game
10th in points conceeded per game

They've got the effort and hardness thing down pat, but that's it. No polish and shocking ball use (trading out Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, and Jasper Pittard hasn't helped there, and neither has not having Jack Watts, who is a good ball-user for a bigger guy), no proper marking power (Charlie Dixon missing half the season hasn't helped there either).

This sort of output isn't unusual for them though. Kind of shows with their list and gameplan that instead of tweaking things to find what works, they're just stubbornly doubling-down year on year, hoping they can bash and crash their way to wins and to a flag. Yeah, it's gutsy and inspiring when it comes off, but it must be like beating their head against a wall for the supporters.

I've found the Bulldogs the weirdest but it appears they are getting it together and playing consistent footy now

Losses to Gold Coast and the Bolton blues, but sherlackings of Richmond, GWS, and wins against Brisbane & Geelong

5th in tackles per game

10th in points per game

They've got the effort and hardness thing down pat, but that's it. No polish and shocking ball use (trading out Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, and Jasper Pittard hasn't helped there, and neither has not having Jack Watts, who is a good ball-user for a bigger guy), no proper marking power (Charlie Dixon missing half the season hasn't helped there either).

This sort of output isn't unusual for them though. Kind of shows with their list and gameplan that instead of tweaking things to find what works, they're just stubbornly doubling-down year on year, hoping they can bash and crash their way to wins and to a flag. Yeah, it's gutsy and inspiring when it comes off, but it must be like beating their head against a wall for the supporters.
Where did you get these stats from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port for sure IMO.

There's a lot of talent on that list but their inconsistency is something else. You just have no idea which Port you're going to get in any given week.

They'll probably come out this week and destroy Fremantle, but how can you possibly have any confidence in them going forward?

North have done pretty well overall under Shaw but I'm not sure many were expecting them to do anything of note in 2019.

5th in tackles per game

10th in points per game

You have absolutely nailed it.

5th in tackles per game

10th in points per game

*en elite from you

Port have been the biggest up and down performer of the year by a long way.

What amuses me is some in the media never learn, they have a great win and they're are declared the new dark horse for the flag but they forget about the atrocious losses they have had.

IMO Ken Hinkley has had enough time to get it right, hand the reins over to someone else.

Yeah port win 2 in a row and then the media 'can they win the flag?'. No they cant, they would have to beat 4 top eight opposition in a row and have shown all season they cant do it for more than a couple of weeks against any side, let alone the best of the best.

North Melbourne have just gone WAY too far with their "Let's prove everyone wrong" mindset.

Last year they were picked to finish bottom 2, but they won 12 games, proving us all wrong in the process.

This year, with a few nice additions and a strong core group staying together, general thinking was "They'll be pretty good, could see them sneaking into the 8." That's not North's style though, they proved us all wrong by being terrible and firing their long term coach.

Once we worked out they were no good everyone thought "bottom 4 finish, Rhys Shaw is a good caretaker while they search for a long term coach." North told that assessment to GAGF by winning 5 from 6 games and making an unlikely march to September. Shaw looked like a great coach, so they locked him in long term.

So we (and I speak on behalf of the entire Football supporting population in this assessment) decided they'd locked in the right senior coach, would be an issue for good sides at the back end of the year and Finals was a strong possibility. North proved us wrong once more, losing 4 of their next 5, culminating in a game in which they registered the lowest score in their history.

Now we start to think, "did they lock down Shaw too soon? They are clearly cruising to see out the season." So North, not happy with that discussion, decided to beat Port by 119 points (wasn't it?) and ruin their season.

I think we can all agree that North Melbourne will beat Melbourne in Tassie this week. So I'm expecting North to prove us wrong once more by turning up to Marvel Stadium to beat Team USA 104-97.

Last edited:
North comfortably beat Richmond, the dogs, the Hawks, Collingwood, and port, narrowly lost to Brisbane once as well; but also get belted by Geelong, west coast, Brisbane, gws, Essendon, Freo and lost to the swans. None of that makes sense to me; up and down, all over the place. Expect them to lose next week against Melbourne too.

North comfortably beat Richmond, the dogs, the Hawks, Collingwood, and port, narrowly lost to Brisbane once as well; but also get belted by Geelong, west coast, Brisbane, gws, Essendon, Freo and lost to the swans. None of that makes sense to me; up and down, all over the place. Expect them to lose next week against Melbourne too.

It's been that sort of year to be honest. Teams are up and down week to week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back