Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

The best part about games like this is you get to see who the “I’m not watching next week, this club is pathetic” types are. I hope Bevo reads them The Man in the Arena this week.

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Boat 3 votes by a country mile. Thought wines was terrible until the 4th we he stepped in up and stopped, turning it over. No way in hell Wines gets 3, not sure even 2 but not sure who could get the 2

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t think anyone is talking about how awful Wood was because it’s so obvious. Next year he can’t be in our team.

Duryea - Keath - Williams
Dale - Gardiner - Richards
(Daniel)

That needs to be our back 6 unless we recruit a chb.

The responsibility sits with the players as far as I'm concerned.

The effort just not there.

McCrae had the worse game I have ever seen him play, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Disappointed, but not surprised something is not right with this team. Hard questions do need to be asked at the end of the year.

On another note, how disappointing would it be to make the GF this to year with no parade, no game at the G, hell we wouldn’t even be allowed to attend.

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McCrae had the worse game I have ever seen him play, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Disappointed, but not surprised something is not right with this team. Hard questions do need to be asked at the end of the year.

On another note, how disappointing would it be to make the GF this to year with no parade, no game at the G, hell we wouldn’t even be allowed to attend.
Lucky we're nowhere near it then

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Boat 3 votes by a country mile. Thought wines was terrible until the 4th we he stepped in up and stopped, turning it over. No way in hell Wines gets 3, not sure even 2 but not sure who could get the 2
He was real good and it was damning that he routinely had a metre of space coming out of every contest. Not really a bloke renowned for his speed.

I agree with those saying we look fatigued. In fact, our season really finished 3 weeks ago if we are being realistic. Not sure what to put this down to: lack of fitness of returning players, an over-worked midfield compensating for a poor ruck situation, the lack of a bye, mental fatigue, or all of the above. Some might argue that these are just excuses and that our team is simply lacking in work rate, particularly our midfield.

We're like a classic racing car that has blown a gasket after leading all the way and then spluttering over the finish line near the tail of the field. There were high expectations for a strong finish and so there are now serious questions to be asked about the head mechanic's ability to keep the old girl running. There is still one last race left for the season and he has a chance to repair the engine. If, however, the old girl breaks down again she will need to be sent to the garage for a major overhaul and the head mechanic could find himself working at KMart Auto as an apprentice grease monkey. But, I digress.

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree with those saying we look fatigued. In fact, our season really finished 3 weeks ago if we are being realistic. Not sure what to put this down to: lack of fitness of returning players, an over-worked midfield compensating for a poor ruck situation, the lack of a bye, mental fatigue, or all of the above. Some might argue that these are just excuses and that our team is simply lacking in work rate, particularly our midfield.

We're like a classic racing car that has blown a gasket after leading all the way and then spluttering over the finish line near the tail of the field. There were high expectations for a strong finish and so there are now serious questions to be asked about the head mechanic's ability to keep the old girl running. There is still one last race left for the season and he has a chance to repair the engine. If, however, the old girl breaks down again she will need to be sent to the garage for a major overhaul and the head mechanic could find himself working at KMart Auto as an apprentice grease monkey. But, I digress.

The first signs of trouble for me were the north game and then definitely the Swans game. The ease in which the Swans just chipped the ball around all the way down the ground was super alarming. Thought it might have just been an off day but don’t think it was.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

iMO it’s our game plan that wears the players out. That’s why are first quarters are so good and second halves poor.

We need to be able to control the ball in the air better and to get a big ruckman to take the pressure off our mids.

The way we defend also takes a lot of energy.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
iMO it’s our game plan that wears the players out. That’s why are first quarters are so good and second halves poor.

We need to be able to control the ball in the air better and to get a big ruckman to take the pressure off our mids.

The way we defend also takes a lot of energy.

Seems pretty clear our game plan isn't sustainable for 120 minutes week in week out and just cooks our players.

Would love to see this team learn when to take the foot off the gas for short periods by maintaining posession with a higher kick to handball game or applying a defensive structure that doesn't rely on a high press that leaks out the back. It looks like we've got fifth gear or first but nothing in between.

Not sure it matters who we draft or trade in until we find a better balance.

Claudonious

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Injuries

Comparison

Western Bulldogs

Toby McLean
- Mid/HF - 17 Games - ACL 1 , ACL 2
Stefan Martin - Ruck - 15 Games - Shoulder,Groin,Mystery
Lin Jong - Utility - 15 Games - Hammy off the bone - retired
Ed Richards HBF - 15 Games - 14 Ankle, 1 Concussion*
Ryan Gardner - CHB - 15 Games , 14 - 2 Shoulder Ops , 1 Covid Protocol
Josh Dunkley - Key Mid - 12 Games - 11 Shoulder, 1 Covid Protocol
Adam Treloar - Key Mid - 10 Games - Ankle
Laitham Vandermeer Wing - 10 Games - Knee/Quad Etc
Easton Wood HBF - 7 Games - Hamstring times 2
Hayden Crozier HBF - 4 Games Shoulder
Tim English - 4 Games - Concussion*
Alex Keath FB - 2
Games - Hammy
Josh Bruce - KF - 2 Games - ACL
Aaron Naughton - KF - 1 Game - Concussion*, 1 ribs during game
Josh Schache - KF/KD 1 Game - Knee
Riley Garcia - SF - 1 Game - Concussion

Bold are clearly best 22

Melbourne

Jack Viney 8 games - foot
Adam Tomlinson 15 games - Knee

No wonder we have played every one but Bedendo.

Depth becomes critical when there are injuries - and even more critical in a covid scenario. VFL have played 9 games this year. This gives players no pathway back from injury,
and no choice but to come straight back in and try to pick up form in the AFL. Or rot on the sidelines.....

We have been smashed with injuries - fact.It's not an excuse - it's a valid reason. Early season form with few injuries validates this fact.I don't buy the "they have worked us out"
theory at all.Any player out for 10 weeks or more has a steep hill to climb to get back to form.

Not only did Bont/Libba/Macrae/Smith have to shoulder all of the workload for the second half of the season- they then had to cover underdone players coming back in.Our game plan is heavily dependant on 2 way running.

No wonder they are shot now.Macrae is so stuffed he is falling over like he never has before.Bont has no power left - couldn't kick over 40 metres last night.

Lipinski should have been getting games to shoulder some of the load and give these guys a rest.West unfortunately was very poor in the games he played.Garcia came in, but is not ready.Daniel had a go in the guts for a few weeks - but it was not enough of a chop out for the other guys.

The lingering effects of concussion are clear to see - Naughton and English have not been the same since.

If there was no faith in Sweet - Young should have been playing Ruck weeks ago. Martin simply cannot walk straight in.

We have to go out and get a Ruckman - a mid to late 20's senior ruckman.Everyone is banging on about selection - but there was noone to select. Oppo ruckman have
run us ragged - Sweet would not keep up , and Martin would be shot at the end of the first quarter.

We need a Ruckman, a Key Defender, and a bit of luck with injury.We have a great list, with a couple of glaring deficiencies that can be addressed - and hopefully will be

You can talk about strategy, game day, commitment , something not right etc - but injuries and the knockon effect of them is the primary reason we lost the last 2 games

All of these injuries and we still win 15 games, lose 2 by less than a kick (one after the siren) and 2 by 2 kicks.

I was pissed AF last night - but I am a realist.The Geelong game is what hurt me the most - and it has come back to haunt us.

Keep the faith.I am.

Timewillcome

Senior List
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We get Essendon again who we have covered.
I like your optimism. We got beat (should have been pumped) by them three weeks ago. We have since lost Bruce and have been demoralized with two very ordinary games since then and most likely miss top 4 after being locked in.

Dopers are looking to break their embarrassing finals drought and will go in favorites. I'm not as confident. Going to be ugly around here if we lose.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I've had opposition supporters with no particular grudge against our club tell me we would be unlikely to go anywhere in the finals anywhere because we lack the necessary fortitude. I can't argue with that.

It really is. Look at 2015 - we choked in an Elim Final, in 2019 we got bullied in 2020 we didn't show up until late. 2016 was brilliant, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. That's gone, long gone. We don't have the mental fortitude, we go to water.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Ok while I am really disappointed about the last 3 weeks, am I being too glass half full in saying that we almost knocked off a top 2 team with the midfield well beaten, huge issues with the ruck, and a largely non functional forward line ?

Last edited:

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Compare our forward line right now of Naughton Hannan JJ Weightman Vandermeer English to a team that also had to deal with only having one key forward: Richmond 2017 which had Riewoldt Rioli Butler Caddy Townsend and Martin doing whatever he wanted because the team could stand on its own without him at times.

You may think some of those names are not higher quality than ours, but them and their game plan got. the. job. done. Look at our forward line setup and you wonder what is going on with our team and coaches.

Our backline also relies too much on having the mids run back. They are either too small or have players currently not up to it like Wood and at times Williams. both going for the backwards handball to a teammate under pressure and Wood costing us 3 goals. Richmond on the other hand had 3-4 players OVER 190cm in the backline. We have 2, 1 of them needing to be a 3rd tall so we are missing a 2nd tall. In spite of this though I'd say our backline has actually stood up very well against the odds and with its deficiencies.

Not gonna talk about the ruck, we all know our problems there.

I know not ever premiership side is 100% the same and completely comparable but we simply have too many players in the team that do not contribute or are not up to it unfortunately. Right now the team is maybe a 1 flag winning side with the amount of talent its got but not a multiple flag winning side.

You're kind of missing the fact that Richmond's key forward was a coleman medalist. Makes a pretty big difference....

The best part about games like this is you get to see who the “I’m not watching next week, this club is pathetic” types are. I hope Bevo reads them The Man in the Arena this week.
You should email or phone the club and suggest it. They might appreciate a helpful suggestion rather than the criticism that is no doubt being thrown their way.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
You're kind of missing the fact that Richmond's key forward was a coleman medalist. Makes a pretty big difference....
And that list also included Dusty in that group of Richmond players.

Back