Prediction Port ready for Roo raid on assistant coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
PORT Adelaide expects North Melbourne's coaching search to extend to a couple of Ken Hinkley's assistants, but doesn't have a problem with Michael Voss and Nathan Bassett being pursued by the Roos mid-season.

The Roos recently parted ways with Brad Scott and, while Rhyce Shaw has taken the reins in the interim, they will eventually make a permanent appointment.

There are two standouts at the Power. Michael Voss was in charge at Brisbane in 2009-13 and recently told AFL.com.au's In the Game podcast that he wanted another chance to show his wares.

Bassett has been in the AFL coaching ranks since 2014, joining Port a couple of years later, and led Norwood to successive SANFL flags in 2012-13.

Port chief executive Keith Thomas wasn't concerned about North coming after either assistant during the Power's 2019 campaign.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05...o-raid-on-assistant-coaches-saints-back-richo

Good riddance. The less number of non-Port people in the coaches box (and in administration, and Board of Deputies) the better IMO. That applies then, now and in the future. They are not to be trusted.

Why are people around here so against Bassett. He did a great job with our defence. He really just shouldnt be a forwards coach, but still is a good footy brain. I think would do well away from Ken. So I knw which one I'd prefer to see go.

Happy to see Voss go though. But again, he may just be another victim of Kenny.

Good riddance. The less number of non-Port people in the coaches box (and in administration, and Board of Deputies) the better IMO. That applies then, now and in the future. They are not to be trusted.

This is a stupid, insular post. This is the kind of thinking that led to us re-signing Mark Williams over Hardwick and then appointing Matthew Primus over Chris Scott.

We want the best available people, regardless of background. Fos Williams was a 'non-Port person' when he got here from West Adelaide.

John Longmire is the current favourite. The list of possibles from assistant coaching ranks is long.

They could choose from:

Justin Leppitsch (Richmond)

Matthew Knights (Geelong)

Adam Kingsley (Richmond)

John Barker (Carlton)

Brendan McCartney (Melbourne)

Brett Ratten (St Kilda)

Brenton Sanderson (Collingwood)

Robert Harvey (Collingwood)

Michael Voss (Port Adelaide)

Scott Burns (Hawthorn)

Blake Caracella (Richmond)

Ash Hansen (Western Bulldogs)

Justin Longmuir (Collingwood)

Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)

Matthew Nicks (GWS)

Jade Rawlings (Melbourne)

Rhyce Shaw (North Melbourne)

Dean Solomon (Gold Coast)

Sam Pang (The Front Bar)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PORT Adelaide expects North Melbourne's coaching search to extend to a couple of Ken Hinkley's assistants, but doesn't have a problem with Michael Voss and Nathan Bassett being pursued by the Roos mid-season.

The Roos recently parted ways with Brad Scott and, while Rhyce Shaw has taken the reins in the interim, they will eventually make a permanent appointment.

There are two standouts at the Power. Michael Voss was in charge at Brisbane in 2009-13 and recently told AFL.com.au's In the Game podcast that he wanted another chance to show his wares.

Bassett has been in the AFL coaching ranks since 2014, joining Port a couple of years later, and led Norwood to successive SANFL flags in 2012-13.

Port chief executive Keith Thomas wasn't concerned about North coming after either assistant during the Power's 2019 campaign.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05...o-raid-on-assistant-coaches-saints-back-richo
If they pick both, the freight should be free. I would even wrap them up with a really nice paper.

This is a stupid, insular post. This is the kind of thinking that led to us re-signing Mark Williams over Hardwick and then appointing Matthew Primus over Chris Scott.

We want the best available people, regardless of background. Fos Williams was a 'non-Port person' when he got here from West Adelaide.
Port people who, ACCIDENTALLY, ended up growing up elsewhere are welcome. Not an issue.

Port Crows who, ACCIDENTALLY, grow up believing to be Portmen should be out. They are allowed to barrack, nothing more.

It is simple.

We're flattering ourselves if we believe our football programme would be seen as somewhere you'd hire a senior coach from.
There are clubs way worse than ours.

Funnily enough, the media is talking about North needing to bring in a North Melbourne person to replace Brad Scott.

But thats also the same media clowns that called Brad Scott a visitor to the club (211 games as a coach vs 241 games as a player).

Why are people around here so against Bassett. He did a great job with our defence.
The same defence that regularly had the ball trapped in our back 50? The same defence whose glacial slow ball movement had us constantly shut down with ease?

Basset crippled any amount of attacking drive from our defence.

In his time as defensive coach, Bassett always had an oversupply of defenders available (thanks Ken), robbing us of forward structure. While we seem to have trimmed back the number of defenders, forward structure we seem to have less of this year (under Bassett) than ever?

Regardless of potential AFL success he might have (ala Ross Lyon), he's certainly not the guy who's going to build us a more balanced system and team.

We're flattering ourselves if we believe our football programme would be seen as somewhere you'd hire a senior coach from.
I reckon Voss would be one of the best candidates around based on credentials and experience. He’d probably land a role if he wants one.

Whether he’d actually be a good senior coach I’m not really sure about.

Vossy's coaching time at Brisbane was a mistake, he believed the suckups who told him he could walk in and coach, and he was happy to burn West Coast to do it. He might have learned a bit more about coaching by now, but do you reckon Port is a place he might've learned not to believe the backslappers and get complacent/ahead of himself? Doubt it.

I accept my post is very insular. That can happen when a person is a traditionalist. I also agree the best available person is the way to go. "Best available" also includes attitude.

But let's just say the best available head coach and 1 or 2 or all coaching assistants for that matter are say ex Crows players and/or coaches. But all best available. You lock them all in ? At what point does it cross a line ... Or is there no line ? Does that also apply to administration as well ? Is it the influence of non port people making cultural changes within the club and team that is drastically changing the definition of being Port Adelaide ?

Just my opinion but an important aspect regarding Schofield and Montgomery returning is they are family. We are not disconnected. The club, the members, the players, we get it. Instant warmth. Explanation not required. They walk in with no "cultural awareness" program or training required. THAT can not be discounted by you or anyone. For me, it is one major element of being "the best available". The survival of that culture also plays out in the coaches box.

And by the way. All opinions on this board are valid. Whether I, you or anyone else agrees with them or not, they are still valid. But if you prefer to use the word stupid on comments you disagree with that's your right, keeping in mind others could apply that rule to your comments.

Why are people around here so against Bassett. He did a great job with our defence. He really just shouldnt be a forwards coach, but still is a good footy brain. I think would do well away from Ken. So I knw which one I'd prefer to see go.

Happy to see Voss go though. But again, he may just be another victim of Kenny.

In regards to Basset:

His first year with us we were the Joe the Goose special.

His second year with us we had statistically an excellent defence, but it crumbled against good opposition.

Last years defence was poor and led to terrible ball movement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back