Prediction Port ready for Roo raid on assistant coaches

In his time as defensive coach, Bassett always had an oversupply of defenders available (thanks Ken), robbing us of forward structure. While we seem to have trimmed back the number of defenders, forward structure we seem to have less of this year (under Bassett) than ever?

Regardless of potential AFL success he might have (ala Ross Lyon), he's certainly not the guy who's going to build us a more balanced system and team.

I think Bassett could be very valuable to an AFL side under two conditions:

1) His role is backline coach
2) He's working in conjunction with a hardass senior coach who's going to keep him in line and not let him overstep his boundaries.

Unfortunately neither of those conditions exist at Port Adelaide. And that makes him a net negative to us.

Last edited:

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Bassett could be very valuable to an AFL side under two conditions:

1) His role is backline coach
2) He's working in conjunction with a hardass senior coach who's going to keep him in line and not let him overstep his boundaries.

Unfortunately neither of those conditions exist at Port Adelaide.

He seems to be the one Ken communicates the most with, I have noticed that.

Whats the point of losing assistants when the real person who needs to go stays put.....
Clears the decks (and assistant budget) for the new coach.

Replacing these guys on higher pay with a couple of more recent ex-players and shuffling the other coaches up a little might pick away at the cap impact of Hinkley leaving a bit

Expecting North to raid us for coaches is going to be a case of Waiting for Godot.
1B7937D9-FB2B-45A6-A867-E52C84302290.gif

Hong-Kong Phooey

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2011
i have no idea
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man United
Schofield and Monty have come in and we've gone even further backwards so I don't really understand why they're so highly rated on here.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't say we've gone backwards at all. We are playing a very young team. I think it's fair to say they've done well, but would do even better with a senior coach who had the balls to make hard calls on his unoerforming senior players

PORT Adelaide expects North Melbourne's coaching search to extend to a couple of Ken Hinkley's assistants, but doesn't have a problem with Michael Voss and Nathan Bassett being pursued by the Roos mid-season.

The Roos recently parted ways with Brad Scott and, while Rhyce Shaw has taken the reins in the interim, they will eventually make a permanent appointment.

There are two standouts at the Power. Michael Voss was in charge at Brisbane in 2009-13 and recently told AFL.com.au's In the Game podcast that he wanted another chance to show his wares.

Bassett has been in the AFL coaching ranks since 2014, joining Port a couple of years later, and led Norwood to successive SANFL flags in 2012-13.

Port chief executive Keith Thomas wasn't concerned about North coming after either assistant during the Power's 2019 campaign.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05...o-raid-on-assistant-coaches-saints-back-richo

Can we do a package deal on Voss, Bassett and Ken?

Christmas in July!

Schofield and Monty have come in and we've gone even further backwards so I don't really understand why they're so highly rated on here.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah given the injuries we have racked up we are doing OK, maybe relatively better than last year when we were 5-3 before China game and 6-3 after that game. We were 5-4 after 9 games this year. Ryder was the big out last year and then Hartlett after 5 games. Where as this year most weeks we have 4-8 of our best 18 out.

It's our forward play that has stagnated or gone backwards. How much of that is the way Basset has set up the forward line? How much is it no Dixon and no presence up there? Our goal's kicked is down on last year and Ebo was our leading goal kicker before he got hurt says a lot.

Schofield and Monty haven't made a massive difference yet but because we have had lots of holes in the teams we put on the park, it's hard to rate their impact. My gut feel is if we had the same injuries last year, our record in the first 9 rounds wouldn't have been as good as it was.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So if Voss goes, and Richo keeps his job at Saints, who do we get in as our senior assistant to replace Voss?

Wouldn't mind getting a Walsh like strong tactical guy rather than someone who wants to coach an AFL side.

Back