Prediction Port ready for Roo raid on assistant coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Fascinating really.

So why the interest in Voss? Are we missing something? Is it because he is a ‘good bloke’? Has he actually been good at Port and we just don’t recognise it? Do the players like him and is this important? How has he improved himself post brisbane -courses, degrees, etc?

From an external view point his time at Brisbane was shocking and he doesn’t appear to have achieved much at Port. We didn’t see huge player development in our midfield group. Our set ups saw us regularly get beaten or we required an extra to push up to the contest thereby robbing our defence or forward line.

Bassett I’m not sure about. Some defenders have really improved under him. Our defence was good, it was young though and we did require extra numbers back there. It’s also not a defence made to move the ball forward and our transition play has fallen away. I’m not sure if Bassett style fits with ken style.

On all of this, the media has also spoken about brad Scott being a potential candidate for Carlton and St Kilda. This is a coach who has achieved a 50:50 win loss record, had two prelims and that’s it. Basically achieved nothing. Hinkley’s record is better! So I would take it all with a grain of salt.

Fascinating really.

So why the interest in Voss? Are we missing something? Is it because he is a ‘good bloke’? Has he actually been good at Port and we just don’t recognise it? Do the players like him and is this important? How has he improved himself post brisbane -courses, degrees, etc?

From an external view point his time at Brisbane was shocking and he doesn’t appear to have achieved much at Port. We didn’t see huge player development in our midfield group. Our set ups saw us regularly get beaten or we required an extra to push up to the contest thereby robbing our defence or forward line.

Bassett I’m not sure about. Some defenders have really improved under him. Our defence was good, it was young though and we did require extra numbers back there. It’s also not a defence made to move the ball forward and our transition play has fallen away. I’m not sure if Bassett style fits with ken style.

On all of this, the media has also spoken about brad Scott being a potential candidate for Carlton and St Kilda. This is a coach who has achieved a 50:50 win loss record, had two prelims and that’s it. Basically achieved nothing. Hinkley’s record is better! So I would take it all with a grain of salt.

My take is

1. People knew Voss did the wrong thing and go basically from playing, to a year or two in the media and then coach an AFL side without doing a full apprenticeship. They reckon he will be a better coach second time round.

2. Name recognition. Being a triple premiership captain still counts for something.

3. He would come to the job with 10 years experience, 5 as a past coach and 5 at Port.

4. Port has a good set up, not a great premiership challenging set up but a good set up middle class team set up from a smaller club. Port are a hard side to beat despite us fans being pissed off we haven't done better, lose too many close games etc, so he will be attractive to cellar dweller clubs and mid class clubs who know they have to rebuild and aren't in a premiership window for a few years. He wouldn't get a look in at the Pies, Eagles, Tigers, Cats or Giants at the moment as well as Hawks or Swans who have a history of success.

5. He presents well. Is a good clear thinker/talker, so to go with point 2 he has cache and will get deep in interviews with cellar dwellers and middle class teams. Doesn't mean he is a premiership coach in waiting, but he is competent assistant, respected read for a crack, compared to say a Mark Neeld or Brendan Bolton type assistant.

Last edited:
We’ve had enough of the Hinkley/Richardson work hardery for longerer gameplan

There was more too it when Richo was here. The slingshot was simple but devestating, because everyone knew what their job was and could execute it at high speed.

I wonder how well we would have dealt with the uberdefensive reaction to the slingshot had Richo stayed around.

Do you think our assistants already know Ken is probably on the way out, and are scrambling for the next gig?

It’s glass half full I know... but is it possible?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I accept my post is very insular. That can happen when a person is a traditionalist. I also agree the best available person is the way to go. "Best available" also includes attitude.

But let's just say the best available head coach and 1 or 2 or all coaching assistants for that matter are say ex Crows players and/or coaches. But all best available. You lock them all in ? At what point does it cross a line ... Or is there no line ? Does that also apply to administration as well ? Is it the influence of non port people making cultural changes within the club and team that is drastically changing the definition of being Port Adelaide ?

Just my opinion but an important aspect regarding Schofield and Montgomery returning is they are family. We are not disconnected. The club, the members, the players, we get it. Instant warmth. Explanation not required. They walk in with no "cultural awareness" program or training required. THAT can not be discounted by you or anyone. For me, it is one major element of being "the best available". The survival of that culture also plays out in the coaches box.

And by the way. All opinions on this board are valid. Whether I, you or anyone else agrees with them or not, they are still valid. But if you prefer to use the word stupid on comments you disagree with that's your right, keeping in mind others could apply that rule to your comments.

If they're the best available and assuming they're extremely good (ie: best available doesn't mean there's just nothing good so they're the best out of a s**t bunch), I'd take a ex Crows player in a heartbeat, even if in the past they've said 'I don't like port power est 1997 they are big dumbs 119 lol'. The only thing that matters is that they'll help Port win flags, everything else is insular nuffy bullshit.

Do you think our assistants already know Ken is probably on the way out, and are scrambling for the next gig?

It’s glass half full I know... but is it possible?
Given the current climate among supporters etc. I'd be very surprised if that's not the case, especially since some posters who seem to be in the know, reckon the powers that be are well aware of the unrest.

If they're the best available and assuming they're extremely good (ie: best available doesn't mean there's just nothing good so they're the best out of a **** bunch), I'd take a ex Crows player in a heartbeat, even if in the past they've said 'I don't like port power est 1997 they are big dumbs 119 lol'. The only thing that matters is that they'll help Port win flags, everything else is insular nuffy ********.

Fair enough.
The current coaching staff is approx 50% from outsid
If they're the best available and assuming they're extremely good (ie: best available doesn't mean there's just nothing good so they're the best out of a **** bunch), I'd take a ex Crows player in a heartbeat, even if in the past they've said 'I don't like port power est 1997 they are big dumbs 119 lol'. The only thing that matters is that they'll help Port win flags, everything else is insular nuffy ********.

Fair enough. I am not opposed to outside coaches. If an individual meets the essential criteria based on recognized performance why not. If you read my original post, what I said was " less of the non port the better". Why ?The current coaching staff is approx 50% are from other clubs. I oersonally think that percentage is too high. People on this board speak how we over the last few years appear to accept mediocracy at both team and coaching level. I'm just saying, if the dominant culture in the coaching box is from outside the organization, don't wonder why the culture changes. The same thing happens in any organization or society.

The Port culture IMO must been retained otherwise we become another AFC or any another club. We will lose who we are for short term gain. Disagree fine. I assurebyou, I am not an idiot and I am not opposed to an "outside" coach but I am apposed to traditional Port culture being compromsed in the coaching department by people who came from outside.

Given the current climate among supporters etc. I'd be very surprised if that's not the case, especially since some posters who seem to be in the know, reckon the powers that be are well aware of the unrest.

I don’t really think they would give much of a thought to supporters unrest, in their minds we are an annoyance and they have s club to run.

They will look deeper once attendances and $$ diminish.

"I don't know what their intentions are or what their plans are, but if I was looking at Port Adelaide, those two stand out to me as coaches in the making, but it's not for me." - KT (that's gotta be code for "let me pack their bags for you"... surely?).

Sorry but in what reality would a club CEO invite a raid on assistants if they were any good.... lol !?!

Besides the west coast game: I do not see any tactical coaching.
Apathetic players, who do not seem motivated to be successful.
All I see is a 8th to 10th playing group.

Basically another wasted year.

Do we need a younger coaching group? BUT SOMEONE WHO IS A TACTICIAN>>>
With an older/father figure as a head coach, like Kern??

Can we do a trade, Hinkley/Voss/Basset/Koch to North, Polec back to Port.

Besides the west coast game: I do not see any tactical coaching.
Apathetic players, who do not seem motivated to be successful.
All I see is a 8th to 10th playing group.

Basically another wasted year.

Do we need a younger coaching group? BUT SOMEONE WHO IS A TACTICIAN>>>
With an older/father figure as a head coach, like Kern??
Even the WCE game. Was it really any better than kicking it like s**t into forward 50 and then pretending we did it on purpose?

It just so happened that our default shitness was their kryptonite.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back