Club History Port to wear prison bar guernsey twice in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The further the administration drift away from our traditions, the longer it will be before another.

Mate, you should wear your prison bar strip every week as far as I am concerned.

Good result imo.

The only reason the post 2020 ability to wear it, is so strongly against from the AFL, is that they don't want us to start trying to make it our Guernsey permanently, and that's fine and fair as it should never be our full time Guernsey.

However if we request another 1 off in 2021 and every subsequent year, I'm confident the AFL and Collingwood would allow it. We just wouldn't do it that regularly as it would devalue the sale price of the one-off Guernsey auctions.

Yeah our full time number one jumper for the huge majority of our existance, the one we etched an unrivalled successful history, the one worn by players that served the country, that many legends have gone to their graves having draped themselves in it when living ... should never be our primary jumper. We should honour it by making it a money making exercise until another two generations pass by where sales plummet after it becomes meaningless and unwanted. We'll wear the 'bend over and take it' jumper because it means so much to EddieFL. We should stand aside and watch the Vic clubs honour their historic jumpers. We'll have our legends like Ginever handover the v-roosters jumper to a new player and talk passionately about playing for the v-roosters jumper. Yeah, we are Port Adelaide, the v jumper version, lots and lots of love for the v jumper club.

Your post made me dig up some figures and I found these 2 posts.

From 17 July 2015 in a Kane Mitchell thread.

And a week later in a thread started asking at which team do big footy posters supporter in the SANFL, 87.8% of poll respondents said Port. I can't see who voted, but IIRC a few crowies voted in the poll.

Ok. Well I’m just going off of what Ben told me. He said 98%, but regardless, 93% is still a very high number and certainly ain’t the 50% old mate is claiming.

What the AFL don't take into account is that we entered the expanded VFL as a club.

West coast - Not a club
Adelaide - Not a club
Fremantle - Not a club
Giants - Not a club
Gold Coast - Not a club
Port Adelaide - A club with 149 years of rich history.

We deserve the right to be and show who we are. A marked difference here.

Unfortunately the sad reality is, as people that grew up with that jumper in the past, the new Port supporters will only know the power strip and the bars will be a long forgotten.

I can understand both sides of the argument, new supporters have and will only associate the current jumper with the AFL team and I understand that, the only way we can change that is to be allowed to wear it at least at all of our home games.

This is still no reason to move away from our traditions. People like Foss Williams and Jack Cahill didn't make this club one of the best footy clubs in Australia, so it can be flushed down the toilet when ever the AFL or Eddie say so.

Remember, it was the AFL that were breaking their necks to get Port into their competion because how can you have the best competition in Australia, without the best team participating in it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of the day, the club can’t fight the AFL on anything while it is millions of dollars in debt. And our admin continue to make decisions that put us further into debt.

If there is some sort of agreement written up, it isn’t worth s**t. All the club would need to do is leak it online. but then we will miss out on good fixtures, extra funding, etc. that we desperately need.

The Collingwood challenge isnt just about colours or mimicing them directly - its the fact that the jumper is linked purely and directly to "the Magpies".

That's the real reason they're against it - it makes us a challenge to the Magpies name in the AFL. The agreement that Gil referenced is almost certainly one that states we must rebrand to be separate and distinct from the existing Collingwood Magpies to gain entry into the AFL, not a guernsey specific agreement.

And honestly I don't have an issue with that. I dont want to be 'the other magpies', I want us to be our own club with a strong unique identity that has an equally strong history. That's why I dont think the prison bars should be our permanent jumper - just once/twice a year is enough to pay homage to our great history.

The real issue is that we haven't forged a new successful history in our current jumper.

I like the PB but let’s move on.

Our poor record in the AFL, to me says the AFL boys haven’t earned the right to wear it anyway.

Love the old pb guernsey. But agree with Power Raid move on. Recognize the 150 - terrific news.

Love the current guernsey and what it has evolved into. From the back it is the old guernsey. From the front a blend of PAFC and state. And I really like the thought that has gone into the font of our player numbers... the club has nailed it

I like the PB but let’s move on.

Our poor record in the AFL, to me says the AFL boys haven’t earned the right to wear it anyway.

I can't see an issue with us wearing the bars at our home games in SA.

At least new young supporters will understand the history.

I reckon this PB strip thing gets some Port fans going due to the false impression that Port (AFL) is viewed as having a tenuous connection with Port (SANFL), impacting on the clubs historical integrity. It's bullshit, but getting bent out of shape over ignorant people is a fruitless exercise, because you can garauntee that there will always be ignorant people.

Here's how you fix it, make "teal" 0.0000001% of your home strip.

In fact, are there directional AFL guidelines regarding the amount of teal that is required in the strip?

Interesting if we were suddenly allowed to wear the bars and it was put to a vote, I wonder what the outcome would be. In saying that I do understand and respect new supporters that only know us wearing teal, that's fair enough.

if we are to hang up the bars, we may as well let our reserve team wear our current AFL strip too, then at least we will look like one club.
I'm actually happy for this to happen as it means we are playing in an AFL Reserves competition and not the SNAFL.

However I would like to see both our league and reserves sides wear the PBs in games against the Camry Crows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back