Club History Port to wear prison bar guernsey twice in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Well I’m just going off of what Ben told me. He said 98%, but regardless, 93% is still a very high number and certainly ain’t the 50% old mate is claiming.
If Ben said that, then that could be from an updated survey. The figures I was told was from a survey back in late 2011 and we have around 30,000 extra members since then.

Yeah 50% is BS.

I'm actually happy for this to happen as it means we are playing in an AFL Reserves competition and not the SNAFL.

However I would like to see both our league and reserves sides wear the PBs in games against the Camry Crows.
Yep agreed. As much as I love the bars, it may well be the identity crisis that seems to be present has stopped us from moving forward in the AFL.

Last edited:
End of the day, the club can’t fight the AFL on anything while it is millions of dollars in debt. And our admin continue to make decisions that put us further into debt.

If there is some sort of agreement written up, it isn’t worth s**t. All the club would need to do is leak it online. but then we will miss out on good fixtures, extra funding, etc. that we desperately need.

The AFL isn’t blameless in Port Adelaide’s financial plight.

Year on year the AFL hands us a fixture lacking in national free to air exposure, making the job of selling the club to lucrative potential sponsors all the more difficult, just so the AFL can maximise television exposure beamed live into Melbourne on Channel 7. At best this is grossly unfair, at worst it’s gross negligence on the part of the AFL in providing certain clubs an unfair financial advantage over competitors.
Denying Port Adelaide an opportunity to celebrate and market its history in perpetuity, the very history that saw this club elevated to the national league, would be another example of the AFL hamstringing this club.

What other organisation on earth is continually allowed to so brazenly favour certain constituents over others? The AFL brings the sport into disrepute with these actions.

For the stability of the club so it can solely focus on winning a flag I am all for it, even if it means changing the reserves strip to be the same as the AFL strip and wearing the bars on special occasions.

The facts are starting to become more and more obvious with young supporters, they recognise the Power strip, so in time there will be more of them than us old Magpie supporters. So as long as we are the PAFC and it unites supporters, i'm okay with that although it pains me to say it.

Last edited:
For the stability of the club so it can solely focus on winning a flag I am all for it, even if it means changing the reserves strip to be the same as the AFL strip and wearing the bars on special occasions.

The facts are starting to become more and more obvious with young supporters, they recognise the Power strip, so in time there will be more of them than us old Magpie supporters. So as long as we are the PAFC and it units supporters, i'm okay with that although it pains me to say it.
Can you share these facts you are referring to?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Campeonato Brasileiro Série D, our fourth division, is more like a qualifying cup rather than a league. Here, all the top-60 clubs in 2019, divided by state (18 out of 27):

Campeonato Brasileiro Série A
São Paulo (SP) - Corinthians, Palmeiras, Santos, São Paulo; Rio de Janeiro (RJ) - Botafogo, Flamengo, Fluminense, Vasco; Rio Grande do Sul (RS) - Gremio, Internacional; Minas Gerais (MG) - Cruzeiro, Atlético; Bahia (BA) - Bahia; [Those are the "Club of 13" - the historically biggest Brazilian clubs] Ceará (CE) - Ceará, Fortaleza; Santa Catarina (SC) - Avaí, Chapecoense; Paraná (PR) - Athletico; Goiás (GO) - Goiás; Alagoas (AL) - CSA.

Campeonato Brasileiro Série B
SP - Botafogo, Bragantino, Guarani, Oeste, Ponte Preta, São Bento; PR - Coritiba, Londrina, Operário, Paraná; SC - Criciúma, Figueirense; GO - Atlético, Vila Nova; RS - Brasil; MG - América; BA - Vitória; AL - CRB; Pernambuco (PE) - Sport; Mato Grosso (MT) - Cuiabá.

Campeonato Brasileiro Série C
RS - Juventude, São José, Ypiranga; MG - Boa, Tombense; PE - Náutico, Santa Cruz; RJ - Volta Redonda; CE - Ferroviário; MT - Luverdense; Maranhão (MA) - Imperatriz, Sampaio Correa; Pará (PA) - Paysandu, Remo; Parahyba (PB) - Botafogo, Treze; Rio Grande do Norte (RN) - ABC, Globo; Acre (AC) - Atlético; Sergipe (SE) - Confiança.

The clubs promoted from the '19-D to the '20-C are already known:
Brusque (SC); Ituano (SP); Jacuipense (BA); and Manaus (Amazonas, AM)
So would some RS - Juventude, São José, Ypiranga fans support their team in the state league when they play Gremio and/or Internacional Gacho league, but support one of them in the National league?

Don't think this has been posted in this thread
Posted it as well in the other thread..

Dwayne Russell on
@dwaynesworldSEN

“I actually want to know who at Port Adelaide agreed to that deal. Whose signatures are on that document? Who signed the contract to say
@PAFC wouldn’t wear the black and white prison bars ever again after 2020?”

I think it's time for for the club to line all it's ducks up.
For me I would love us to wear the bars at least at home games. If we can't do that then the whole club should wear the same strip, just bring out the famous jumper on special occasions.
It's not healthy for the PAFC and it's supporters to be split on the jumper issue and I say this with alot of of thought, it will hurt but we have to move forward as one and stick it up the rest of the AFL let's do what we do best, win ******* premierships.

One thing that has to be followed is our traditions, when that goes we are lost.

I think it's time for for the club to line all it's ducks up.
For me I would love us to wear the bars at least at home games. If we can't do that then the whole club should wear the same strip, just bring out the famous jumper on special occasions.
It's not healthy for the PAFC and it's supporters to be split on the jumper issue and I say this with alot of of thought and it will hurt but we have to move forward as one and stick it up the rest of the AFL let's do what we do best, win ******* premierships.
They are trying, that's why Dwayne is being a dick on behalf of Eddie and trying to mess things up.
Dwayne's comments are a part of Eddie's push back.

Don't think this has been posted in this thread
Posted it as well in the other thread..

Dwayne Russell on
@dwaynesworldSEN

“I actually want to know who at Port Adelaide agreed to that deal. Whose signatures are on that document? Who signed the contract to say
@PAFC wouldn’t wear the black and white prison bars ever again after 2020?”
Could you link to the actual tweet? I can't see it on his page, maybe he's deleted it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I shouldn't have use the facts. What i meant was as new young supporters get on board is all they really know is about the power.
Yes when they watch their first game they will see the Power. But if they start watching with parents / grandparents / family they will ask questions about the past and those family members if they are footy fans will tell them the fuller story. Kids aren't thick as bricks and say I can only understand what is in front of me once they are 8/9/10 etc. They ask questions.

If they start watching on their own accord or because of mates at school, they will also start asking questions to find out about the past. How much success has this club had? What flags have they won? Who were the past champions? Where did they come from? etc. Just think about your own experience and friends and why and how they started supporting Port. There are many diverse reasons and not everyone is in the same bucket.

The facts are starting to become more and more obvious with young supporters, they recognise the Power strip, so in time there will be more of them than us old Magpie supporters. So as long as we are the PAFC and it units supporters, i'm okay with that although it pains me to say it.
Hhahah, its the youngster who want the Bars back. It's the older people who resigned themselves to the teal over the years that argue against it.

Year on year the AFL hands us a fixture lacking in national free to air exposure, making the job of selling the club to lucrative potential sponsors all the more difficult, just so the AFL can maximise television exposure beamed live into Melbourne on Channel 7.

9 of 11 home games in the dreary Sunday slots in 2004.

2004!

Yes when they watch their first game they will see the Power. But if they start watching with parents / grandparents / family they will ask questions about the past and those family members if they are footy fans will tell them the fuller story. Kids aren't thick as bricks and say I can only understand what is in front of me once they are 8/9/10 etc. They ask questions.

If they start watching on their own accord or because of mates at school, they will also start asking questions to find out about the past. How much success has this club had? What flags have they won? Who were the past champions? Where did they come from? etc. Just think about your own experience and friends and why and how they started supporting Port. There are many diverse reasons and not everyone is in the same bucket.
Definitely, I agree but as us oldies pass on, the younger generation of supporters will only know us in the current jumper and colours, eventually the bars jumper will become diluted.
As far parents passing on the history I agree with you.

I have two sons, one which saw me supporting the Maggies and the other not quite old enough to understand my passion. They are chalk and cheese the way they look at the jumper. The younger one that is now 30 just wants us to win flags, no matter how many videos I send him of great Magpie victories lol. The other understands me and what the jumper means.
I keep getting told by them that I have to move on, we are not the same, not the Magpies.

Last edited:
Could you link to the actual tweet? I can't see it on his page, maybe he's deleted it.

He says it early on in the show, the 5 min mark, he wants to know who from Port signed the agreement that states we can't wear the PB's after 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back