Club History Port to wear prison bar guernsey twice in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look isn't it a bit early for off season discussion?

This deal sucks.

Exclusively wearing the PB against the plastic fantastics, in what is sure to be a twilight game shoehorned to fox footy, sucks.

Discuss.
Wearing it 4 times in 22 years sucks more.

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
McLachlan is an integral part to all this farce. He was directly involved in 2006 when we boycotted the heritage round, and in 2007 when we made the agreement to wear it in any future home heritage rounds (lol).

It just screams classic Gillon arse-about nonsense, I reckon this bloke has a fair bit to do with why this has been such a circus for the last 15 years.

We have a solid membership base, but we dont have nearly enough many fans to turn into members. Focusing on our history will increase the fans into members numbers but not overall fans.

So tell me, how does Collingwood attract so many supporters?

It wouldn't happen to have anything to do with their history, would it?

It's because they're allowed to wear black and white stripes without any external approval

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
You either support a football club, or one of the new souless franchises.. This is a football club. Anyone opposing any football club from wearing a jumper it has worn for over 100 years, has been part of 90% if not more of its premierships, and is the very heart and soul of the club can gtfo. They are not supporters of the club, a footy club is more than just a game you see on TV and sometimes attend. Go support the crows or the giants if you want something new and doesn't offend you..
We have the worst new 'supporters'

Which others are designed to represent the area they're from? You mean like Sydney?

Its not that special when another club already does it and was doing it before we joined the AFL.

We need to be more than just our history.

This here is why we need to expand our reach:
View attachment 727148
We have a solid membership base, but we dont have nearly enough many fans to turn into members. Focusing on our history will increase the fans into members numbers but not overall fans.

We're with the bulldogs, saints, dees and North This shouldn't be acceptable.

Anyone else find it interesting that the numbers for AFC and PAFC are suspiciously close to the magic formula that SMA uses to determine the Oval Members to each club?

Roy Morgan reckons it's 64:36

What does the SMA use again? Isn't it 65:35?

Surely they wouldn't be taking Mr Morgan's formula and just applying that to their numbers, would they? (lol, of course they would)

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's just a rough indication of our colour, but needs to be 'bluer' as per our current use of teal.

There's also this...

View attachment 727154

I think pushing for this design as a full-time home guernsey is a realistic aim, with the proper prison bars to be worn in Showdowns. It makes sense to insist on purity of the design when celebrating the guernsey's history (i.e. during heritage rounds and anniversaries), but a full-time home guernsey is different and represents the club moving forward into the future.

Achieving a consistent design that carries over between AFL and SANFL is important, and could go hand in hand with a logo update (monogram potentially) so that all Port players play under the same logo and in the PBs (in whichever colourway). It also allows for an smooth implementation of the black and white PBs when winds are more favourable (i.e. Eddie is dead).

Reading through this thread I'm genuinely ashamed to have some members here as supporters of our club.

I don't know what is more embarrassing, those who say "it's oh so tough why even bother", the minute things get hard.

Or those so thick that they can't see that everything valuable and distinctive about the club, our competitive edge and the essence of who we are, is in our history. You may not care for it, but by arguing against it you are actively hurting our cause.

You do not deserve to support the PAFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I am impressed with is that the invisible line in the sand that chiwigi bomberclifford & Co. drew when the petition was at 0 is now two metres wide and growing wider, longer, deeper ... stretching, cutting its way towards Melbourne, like a fault line travelling through the footy landscape.

Reading through this thread I'm genuinely ashamed to have some members here as supporters of our club.

I don't know what is more embarrassing, those who say "it's oh so tough why even bother", the minute things get hard.

Or those so thick that they can't see that everything valuable and distinctive about the club, our competitive edge and the essence of who we are, is in our history. You may not care for it, but by arguing against it you are actively hurting our cause.

You do not deserve to support the PAFC.
Some are trolls, some are misguided and some spend too much time with Crows fans.

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You mean outside of being the biggest club in a city with 4x the population of Adelaide?

Well it probably helps having been in the competition for a lot longer than us... And their CEO for the past 20 years is a prominent media figure capable of putting them on the national stage constantly. And they're incredibly wealthy and have all the biggest games of the year and are constantly on FTA tv. And then then they have a strong culture and history that gets people invested in the club.

We have that last bit obviously

The notion that young people generally don't care for old/historical things is one of the stranger myths going around. I'm 23 and know plenty of people around my age with interests like film photography, collecting vinyl records, classic cars, particular historical events (WWI/II, the British monarchy, ancient civilisations—whatever really), seeing important historical sites when travelling, etc.

Yeah, great call.

As if a young Port fan hears of the club's history and tradition of success, its record premiership tally, etc, and then shrugs their shoulders and says "tell me more about Perfect Pear!".

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Yeah, great call.

As if a young Port fan hears of the club's history and tradition of success, its record premiership tally, etc, and then shrugs their shoulders and says "tell me more about Perfect Pear!".
Conveniently you all choose to deliberately ignore such things as.... He wasn't the only either.

James, an inaugural Power squad member from Norwood who played 147 games for the club from 1997-2005 and was a member of its first AFL premiership side in 2004, says he always has viewed the Power as a new club.

"I understand Port's background but as far as I'm concerned the Power was started from scratch, has only been in the (AFL) competition for 11 years and was made up of players from every SANFL club," he said. "To me, it's heritage goes back to 1997 and that's why I question the decision to wear a Magpies jumper."

So because this sucks slightly less than the other thing that sucks we should bow down to our glorious leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have a strange read of people’s comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back