Club History Port to wear prison bar guernsey twice in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is a troll. At the end of day i want three things every year, for us to beat melbourne, its my mates team, the crows, and play finals, and hopefully win a flag

Last edited:

No one is a troll. At the end of day i want three things every year, for us to beat melbourne, my mates team, the crows, and play finals, and hopefully win a flag
That's 4 and hopefully a 5th. :) or do you mean beat melbourne as it's my mates team

Have you ever thought that not everybody at port adelaide want pb all the time, and are supporters of other sanfl, clubs like centrals, woodville, that wouldnt be caught dead supporting adelaide, so support port adelaide. There would be 50% of the supporter base like this. They respect the port adelaide history, but are happy with current history and enjoy the players playing in back in black.
The biggest load of horse s**t I've read in awhile.. kudos

Lets all face it, no one cares about the magpies, attendances say that. The only time we do, is to check which players have played well enough to get into the afl side.
The Port Adelaide first team has been in the AFL since 1997, that's why SANFL attendances are way less. It's our secondary side. Not sure what this has to do with wearing the Prison Bars jumper at AFL level? If the AFL side wore the Prison Bars one week at home and the SANFL side wore the BIB jumper, is 30k people going to head to Alberton instead? Don't think so.

Can you mock up another version and put a thin white line between the silver and black to see what it looks like? Thin white like the 1914 Invincibles wore but thinner maybe 1/5th the thickness of the grey bar.
I just used templates on the ISC site https://www.iscsport.com/teamwear
Its limited in what you can do, i was hoping someone else could mock one from the ground up and make the silver lighter.

Richmond has 100k

Thats accepting mediocrity.

You take your 50k, filled with retired old Magpies fans, lemme know your how that goes for sustainability.

Club needs to grow.
You're just looking for fights now.
Why do you continue to divide our supporters into Magpies and Power? We're Port Adelaide supporters. We have a higher percentage of children and young adults in our crowds than our competitors in the local market. Our growth stagnated because of our stagnant and mediocre form over half a decade now, not because of our push to wear the bars next year. We'll grow again when supporters see some positive change on field.

Have you ever thought that not everybody at port adelaide want pb all the time, and are supporters of other sanfl, clubs like centrals, woodville, that wouldnt be caught dead supporting adelaide, so support port adelaide. There would be 50% of the supporter base like this. They respect the port adelaide history, but are happy with current history and enjoy the players playing in back in black.

Most on here are rusty old people, that cant accept change and are just whingers, about the coach, and think port should have won 5 flags already, and its the management, coaches and certain players fault. Ffs

The club membership department has done extensive research on this. 98% of Port Adelaide members identify Port Adelaide as their SANFL club. That's not to say they care that greatly about whether or not the Magpies win week to week, but it's the tiniest of minorities that identify either as a supporter of another SANFL club or have no SANFL allegiance at all.

We're Port Adelaide supporters. We have a higher percentage of children and young adults in our crowds than our competitors in the local market.
Really??!!!?!??!? That's your measure of success???? Oh we are better than them? It's ok. We still losing money, but hey, all good right?

Regardless, I'd like to see proof of that ageing demographic. I initially would have thought as much, but unless we have evidence....

You need everyone to grow us. Not just us Port tragics... They won't sustain us. Let alone make us the dominant club we wanna be.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone ever asked McGuire if he objects to the Black and silver prison bars?
He said he doesn't care about the design. But wants the colours changed. Think he made a disrespectful request of teal and magenta prison bars.

The club membership department has done extensive research on this. 98% of Port Adelaide members identify Port Adelaide as their SANFL club. That's not to say they care that greatly about whether or not the Magpies win week to week, but it's the tiniest of minorities that identify either as a supporter of another SANFL club or have no SANFL allegiance at all.

Your post made me dig up some figures and I found these 2 posts.

From 17 July 2015 in a Kane Mitchell thread.
How much is a bunch?

93% OF EXISTING PAFC MEMBERS SUPPORT A TEAM IN THE SANFL

93% OF THESE PEOPLE SUPPORT THE MAGPIES IN THE SANFL

And a week later in a thread started asking at which team do big footy posters supporter in the SANFL, 87.8% of poll respondents said Port. I can't see who voted, but IIRC a few crowies voted in the poll.

I went to a meeting of supporter groups at Alberton in February 2012 and the club had done some big survey and had dug up the names of 45,000 lapsed members between 1997 and 2011. They said the result of the survey showed 93% of members surveyed, showed fans either supported the Magpies or no interest and no club in the SANFL.

Connecting with those 45,000 is a big part of why we have gone from 29,092 members in 2010 to 60,000+.

Simple question here:

Would you prefer Port's history or Adelaide's history?

I for one am glad our club has a rich history that we can look back on with pride unlike our soulless cousins. The prison bars are a major part of our history which we should embrace and not cast away. It’s what sets us apart and gives us our identity.

I know some see it as a bastardisation of the PBs but I would take that as a permanent guernsey in a second.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
It's an interesting hypothetical, if Port itself were to embrace bastardising the PBs with silver, would Collingwood accept this version? Or would they claim that it is still too similar? Would they stipulate a certain minimum of pigment in the bars, eyechecked by McGuire himself before every season?

It really would just reveal what a farce the current situation is.

Last edited:
Really??!!!?!??!? That's your measure of success???? Oh we are better than them? It's ok. We still losing money, but hey, all good right?

Regardless, I'd like to see proof of that ageomg demographic. I initially would have thought as much, but unless we have evidence....

You need everyone to grow us. Not just us Port tragics... They won't sustain us. Let alone make us the dominant club we wanna be.
Why don't you write a detailed essay on what you think I'm saying - or what you want me to say, then you can argue with yourself over it.

After every response I've written you've gone off on a tirade about opinions you've imagined me having.

I think you may have been initially triggered by me accusing a particular poster of not being a Port supporter. I genuinely believe that person to be a troll and not a Port supporter based on their body of posting, not just on their 1 post I responded to.

By the way, it is fine for someone to support PAFC in the AFL, but another club in the SANFL. It is two separate leagues. The only time this would be an issue is when both clubs play against each other in the SANFL. The person can even accept Port's SANFL history and even be proud of it.

Such an arrangement is quite common in Brazil. Many people support their local team and one of the big teams simultaneously — even when they are from the same state, and play against each other during the state-league season.

It is also fine for someone to follow PAFC in the AFL, but not in the SANFL. This doesn't mean the person doesn't care about our history. He can be proud of it, feel as part of it, and believe it is absolutely relevant for Port. It would not be something against the Magpies or the PB guernsey. He could simply not to care about how our reserves are doing.

Those people are ok. The danger comes from those who want to deny our past, as if "a new club was born" in 1997. It wasn't, and PAFC has the right... No. Scrap that! Port has a DUTY to celebrate our History, that which makes us unique, which makes us who we are, as the club sees fit.

Another danger is trying to deny the Power. It is also part of our History, too. We must treat it accordingly. Underneath its many colours, teams, and nicknames, Port Adelaide FC is ONE (and the same) CLUB.

Has anyone ever asked McGuire if he objects to the Black and silver prison bars?
The prison bars are black and white.

Eddie has said he is fine with us wearing a guernsey with the same pattern as the prison bars in black and teal.

Edit: RossFC says teal and magenta

I think you may have been initially triggered by me accusing a particular poster of not being a Port supporter. I genuinely believe that person to be a troll and not a Port supporter based on their body of posting, not just on their 1 post I responded to.
I don't know their history.

My only issue is we shouldn't criticise others who support the Power, given plenty of our players felt the same way too and felt nothing for the PB.

I myself love to see it, on occasion. But I love the V now.

By the way, it is fine for someone to support PAFC in the AFL, but another club in the SANFL. It is two separate leagues. The only time this would be an issue is when both clubs play against each other in the SANFL. The person can even accept Port's SANFL history and even be proud of it.

Such an arrangement is quite common in Brazil. Many people support their local team and one of the big teams simultaneously — even when they are from the same state, and play against each other during the state-league season.

It is also fine for someone to follow PAFC in the AFL, but not in the SANFL. This doesn't mean the person doesn't care about our history. He can be proud of it, feel as part of it, and believe it is absolutely relevant for Port. It would not be something against the Magpies or the PB guernsey. He could simply not to care about how our reserves are doing.

Those people are ok. The danger comes from those who want to deny our past, as if "a new club was born" in 1997. It wasn't, and PAFC has the right... No. Scrap that! Port has a DUTY to celebrate our History, that which makes us unique, which makes us who we are, as the club sees fit.

Another danger is trying to deny the Power. It is also part of our History, too. We must treat it accordingly.
Excellent post

Like you've said, if you want to support the PAFC be prepared to leave any other old SANFL allegiances at the door. That's just the way it is with us. If you aren't prepared to do that then there's 17 other teams out there to chose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back