Club History Port to wear prison bar guernsey twice in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Again, i think the mythology surrounding his performance that night has gone to slightly over the top levels.
I was there in that half of the ground, obviously the 100th helped us too, but if he wasnt there that 1st qtr we'd be in deep s**t with the typical stage fright we were infamous for at the time.

I was there in that half of the ground, obviously the 100th helped us too, but if he wasnt there that 1st qtr we'd be in deep s**t with the typical stage fright we were infamous for at the time.

I was there too, as were probably most of the people here. The idea he single handeldly held back a St Kilda tide is a bit over the top. St Kilda came out of the blocks very fast as was clearly their plan. But momentum shifts in football occur all the time and they were always going to go off the boil and we were always going to work our way into it. I'm not saying James was rubbish, but him single handedly saving us from embarrassment is a complete myth. In fact, i don't recall a single effective Roger James disposal in that first quarter.

Last edited:
Anyway, we're not here to argue about Roger James' performance in the 2004 preliminary final. But you seem to have elevated his opinion, a staunch Norwood man, on Port Adelaide's history above the opinions of people like Tim Ginever, George Fiacchi or Warren Tredrea, because of a few of his deeds on the football field. What makes the opinion of Roger James so special?

Anyway, we're not here to argue about Roger James' performance in the 2004 preliminary final. But you seem to have elevated his opinion, a staunch Norwood man, on Port Adelaide's history above the opinions of people like Tim Ginever, George Fiacchi or Warren Tredrea, because of a few of his deeds on the football field. What makes the opinion of Roger James so special?
That we should be inclusive of other people's views.

We aren't in the position where we can pick and choose who follows us, we need fans, we need growth.

They can follow Norwood their whole life and Power in the AFL, that doesn't make them any less.

I understand that, but each to their own, he's a Port legend, everyone's entitled to their opinions, regardless of how we feel.

It’s a bullshit opinion IMO and offensive to our great club and supporters. That’s my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there too, as were probably most of the people here. The idea he single handeldly held back a St Kilda tide is a bit over the top. St Kilda came out of the blacks very fast as was clearly their plan. But momentum shifts in football occur all the time and they were always going to go off the boil and we were always going to work our way into it. I'm not saying James was rubbish, but him single handedly saving us from embarrassment is a complete myth. In fact, i don't recall a single effective Roger James disposal in that first quarter.

He was by far our best, most influential first quarter player in an insipid first 15 minutes.

That we should be inclusive of other people's views.

We aren't in the position where we can pick and choose who follows us, we need fans, we need growth.

They can follow Norwood their whole life and Power in the AFL, that doesn't make them any less.

I could care less if a Norwood supporter wants to follow Port Adelaide in the AFL

But this club was established in 1870. If you don't buy into that you can take a hike as far as i'm concerned.

You seem to be really big on inclusiveness. How do you feel about the Norwood (SANFL) Port Adelaide (AFL) supporter trying to ram down our throats that we're actually supporting a "new" club? That's the very essence of divisiveness.

Guys like Roger James & Josh Francou were the last of the SANFL guys with that ingrained hatred of the Magpies, I can overlook it with those guys it's almost like they had to rationale it that way to themselves to function.

But this club was established in 1870. If you don't buy into that you can take a hike as far as i'm concerned.
Never argued to the contrary... My username is proof.

I could care less if a Norwood supporter wants to follow Port Adelaide in the AFL
I'm happy for them too... I want a bigger supporter base.

Anyone else find it interesting that the numbers for AFC and PAFC are suspiciously close to the magic formula that SMA uses to determine the Oval Members to each club?

Roy Morgan reckons it's 64:36

What does the SMA use again? Isn't it 65:35?

Surely they wouldn't be taking Mr Morgan's formula and just applying that to their numbers, would they? (lol, of course they would)
Dug up my spreadsheet from KT's announcements each year

2014 specific numbers 8,206 SMA members specific allocation of 2,928 ie 35.68%

2015 specific numbers 8,009 SMA members specific allocation of 2,883 ie 36.00%

2016 generic 33% of generic 8,000 SMA members (works out to 2,640)

2017 generic 28% of generic 8,000 SMA members (works out to 2,240)

2018 specific allocation of 2,252 of generic 8.000 (works out to be 28.15%)

2019 no announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back