Autopsy Port v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Last couple if years have been all about grunt and then run.
Neutralise our grunt and we are done.

Classic Hinkley. Classic Port. Classic gutless front running squibs at large.

We have a tremendous win last week and then instaed on riding and building on the confidence that must have brought to the team he goes full on negative almost the day after. Now is my time to show my coaching mastery he must have thought - once again. We bring in a player cut by the Dockers when they were real crap, who has to this stage done nothing more than play reasonable SANFL footy and he sets the tone. We will deny them!!!

Game starts and the first 10 mins is spent with the most reactionary footy I think I have ever seen. Guys more interested in making contact with 1 Brisbane player than anything else. Every contest is watching our guys worried about theirs and Hinkleys masterplan is in full swing.

I said during the week it looked - once again - like we were going down a path of doing something to prove to the world our coaching genius when there was actually no need to.

Ken made this week about him, about his standing in the game, about his ability to out-coach another and he got slaughtered - and so did our team.

The game was over before half way through the first.

A few of the players battled manfully.

DBJ played well. Robbie Gray tried to get something happening after spending most of the first half camped in the forward 50 - where the ball wasn't. How can this coaching group not see that Robbie Gray is our only constructive mid? The others battle away but unless injured he must always be around the ball to begin with more often than not. Once again, Hinkley just showing his pathetically scared, negative ways be mainly playing guys to negate through the first half.

After 10 mins he had a huge problem developing and once again he did nothing until halftime. The stunned mullet routine is really starting to annoy me. If your eyes can't tell you what's going on, if your coaching ability can't think of ways to address what's happened on the fly then you're not qualified to be in the position you are. GIVE IT UP, KEN.

Oh yeah. Westhoff's first 10 mins is exactly why he must be moved on at the end of the year. Should have atleast smothered their first goal but reacted like a scared 10 yr old. Stupid decision to slide and knock the ball out of bounds gave them their second - again courtesy of Westhoff and their third came because he was too scare to take possession of the ball and on a wet, slippery day once again decided to try something fancy.

We can't trust the coach, nor the team and you sure as hell can't trust Justin Westhoff to play with any sort of maturity or desire unless the planets have aligned.

Butters needs to go play SANFL. He may have an AFL future but he's got a lot to work on.

And whose idea was to once again have every single player within 5m of the ball all move so they are within 1m of the ball but stand their like strawmen and do nothing while the single Brisbane guy would calmly work the ball cleanly to the outside of the contest and away they go.

1 man goes to the contest, the others are to provide attacking options should your man win the ball or to be set-up defensively to cover their options should they win the ball. Too many times when we are getting touched up we are like bees to honey with nobody actually being where they should be. Once again, all the traits of a nervous, defensive coach more interested in making sure they don't win it at the expense of us having any chance of constructively clearing space and moving the ball forward with intent.

Man, that was appalling on so many levels.

I so torn. I want us to win every game. I do believe we could do damage n the drier decks in September but I'm at the point where I want us to lose and lose everything, and lose badly to hurry the end of Hinkley.

His negative ways always surface the most just when we think we may be moving forward. I've had enough of it.

Abysmal performance, we went all-in on killing Lachie Neale and forgot to football properly. 6 goals in the opening 10 minutes, then a video recorded-copy of any number of our woeful losses in the Hinkley erea. No system, no discipline, no intelligence. In wet conditions, collapsing into a stoppage contest only leaves us vulnerable to the outside players, and Brisbane were good enough and patient enough to punish us severely. Just adapt to conditions, it's not rocket surgery!

Four blokes flying for marks when one will do. Handballs to a player in worse positions and under greater pressure than themselves. Dropped chest marks, missed set shots, disastrous injury, dumb selection...this was a classic Portz performance.

Powell-Pepper - Has lost confidence, and skills are down, care for team is down, disposal is horrid...he runs around like a headless chook, and should be back in the SANFL next week. 1/10

Burton - Looked like a bad string, so I'm calling season over. Before that, not bad, but mismatched on Cameron. 3/10

Motlop - Should never be selected in the wet. Has no desire to put his body in line with the ball, and his dinky sidefoot kicks don't work if there's any water around. 2/10

Ebert - Failed to back up last week, and is one of the main barometers of our inconsistency. Looked a bit sore, but if he can't play through it, he was more of a liability than playing one short. 2/10

Hartlett - Not bad, had reasonable control of the slippery ball, but seemed confusedin defence about his matchup, and about his positioning at times. Had too much to do, to cover for the inadequacies of some of the other defenders. 5/10

Robbie Gray - Okay, but not dominant. Had to play midfield, because of our issues at stoppages, and gave us a lift without taking control at any time. 6/10

Boak - Just reinstate him as captain already. The only player who knew what was required when it was wet, and kept putting his head over the ball and his body in harms way. 7/10

Rockliff - Never effective despite racking up possessions at will. I think his leg has a maximum arc of 60%? I hold Rocky and Ollie mostly responsible for the early Brisbane dominance, he is our onfield organiser and it was glaringly obvious that Brisbane were keeping a wider shape. Rocky should have called the collapsing mids like SPP and Trav to stay disciplined. 4/10

Amon - Outside run is not effective if the inside players are so diabolical, and Karlos was overwhelmed by the numbers of Lions running rings around him. Not our worst, but not a notable game. 4/10

Wines- Got lots of the ball, but is shockingly wasteful with it. Surely, someone like Voss would work with him to improve his kicking action, and Ollie is experienced enough, and has enough responsibility, to have better awareness. Not the captain he needs to become, has no mongrel in him and his body language when being beaten is woeful. 3/10

Clurey - Not bad, had McInerney who was too tall but was aided by conditions. All players were fumbly at times, but at least Cluzza corrected as the game went on. He keeps his positioning on the field well, but was let down by his colleagues. 5/10

Butters - Not developing as quickly as expected, but demonstrated his clean hands and elite skills a couple of times. Needs to be the crumbing player around Dixon, but gets caught too far away from the action too often. 3/10

Rozee - See Butters. At least got given some midfield exposure, when it was all over. Hope he isn't too arrogant, he has a lot to learn yet. 3/10

Dixon - Stop being a tough guy, and start being a forward. We all love Charlie's passion and competitiveness, but is he more valuable than a Tom Lynch? Needs to work harder, be aware of his limitations and is in danger of being overtaken as a key forward by Frampton. 2/10

Bonner - Dismal, I thought. I haven't been as dismissive of Riley as some here, but he was too invested in getting the easy kick today. Pretty sure he had McCarthy, then got shifted onto Cameron, and I hold him responsible for at least 4 goals with lax defending.1/10

Lycett - Keep your studs down, FFS! Regardless of whether we agree, to concede 5 frees for the same offence in recent weeks demonstrates that he has a problem. Looked hampered by his knee knock last week, and lost the wrestle and the ruck with Martin. 3/10

Howard - Forward time is over, he must go back to shore up the shaky defence. Frampton is clearly a superior forward on exposed form, and Doogs had zero impact tonight. 2/10

DBJ - Our best running defender tonight, charging into the centre square, but got exposed by his opponent at least twice for not paying them enough respect. Still, Darce tried to spark us, and 25 of his 30 dispisals were kicks, showing how he adapted to conditions. 6/10

Westhoff - Terrible, needs to display better body language and more urgency. Always looks laconic; tonight, he played laconically. 1/10

Jonas - Spent his evening dropping marks, fumbling balls, kicking to the opposition, getting in team-mates way and generally being as terrible as any captain in Power history. Would be dropped if he wasn't skipper-co. 1/10

Sam Gray - Probably our best, worked hard all night and when we were 0-7 goals, he tackled ferociously and hunted the ball to get us "going". However, is one of the main inconsistency instigators from week to week, and will be constantly under suspicion until his output improves. 7/10

Sutcliffe - No. 0/10

So Voss told Ginever pre-game that we'd know if the team was switched on by the way they play in the first 10 minutes. Not even the coaches have any confidence in how we are going to play.

Please just move these clowns on already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole Lachy Neale s**t that started the match was embarrassing. Complete distraction for us and they just focused on footy and smashed us on the scoreboard. Ken mentioning it before the game with a smirk on his face like he’s some kind of genius. ******* idiot
Did he really say "we'll terrorize Lachy" before the game? just lol you burke

I recorded the game and avoided all scored until a naff mate should it with a text. Judging by the comments I'm leaning towards not bothering... Yay or nay?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back