Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
All I saw were some dodgy selections and then no changes as we were being bullied/ outplayed/ out coached on our own deck.

Stupid selections aside, play your best players in their rightful spots. Make changes if you are getting mauled don’t sit there and shrug.

Yeah not all skills and player errors
I agree with you but I also think that we shouldn't let the players off easily either.

When you first start playing Aussie Rules, even at primary school, the first thing that's drummed into you is to "play in front, play in front, play in front ...." it's seared into your mind. You are also taught that you must try your hardest to get to the ball first and that if it's wet and slippery, you don't use handball very much and you kick it as far as you can instead. You are told that when you are in front you go for the mark and if you are behind, you spoil and you should never ever loose you feet.

These are just basic things that you must do and every footballer, let alone AFL players, know this and if a coach does mention this before a game as re-enforcement or doesn't mention it, shouldn't make any difference. I mean how ludicrous would it be if a player was interviewed after the game and asked if he had any explanation as to why they played so poorly and the player said, "Well, the coach didn't tell us to play in front, he didn't even tell us that it was raining and didn't tell us what type of boots to wear and he certainly didn't tell us not to fall over. He didn't tell us to get to the ball first or that we should mark the ball when we are in front and spoil from behind and he didn't tell us that we should limit the amount of handballs and kick it as far forward as we can, either as a proper kick or off the ground and get it moving forward as fast as we could because it's wet and slippery.".

These are full time footballers and for us watching the team, to asses whether or not Hinkley's tactics and selections were justified, the players must first perform the absolute basics so we can see if Hinkley was right or not. In the "old days", we used to here from footballers how important it was to prepare correctly and do everything in their power to be ready to play at their best on match day.

These are personal things that players must be responsible for and sadly, our lot just don't seem to prepare themselves like professional footballers for every game. That is in not way meant to take the heat off Hinkley mind you, he has to wear the insipid performances and like the yanks say, "the buck stops with him.".

I agree with you but I also think that we shouldn't let the players off easily either.

When you first start playing Aussie Rules, even at primary school, the first thing that's drummed into you is to "play in front, play in front, play in front ...." it's seared into your mind. You are also taught that you must try your hardest to get to the ball first and that if it's wet and slippery, you don't use handball very much and you kick it as far as you can instead. You are told that when you are in front you go for the mark and if you are behind, you spoil and you should never ever loose you feet.

These are just basic things that you must do and every footballer, let alone AFL players, know this and if a coach does mention this before a game as re-enforcement or doesn't mention it, shouldn't make any difference. I mean how ludicrous would it be if a player was interviewed after the game and asked if he had any explanation as to why they played so poorly and the player said, "Well, the coach didn't tell us to play in front, he didn't even tell us that it was raining and didn't tell us what type of boots to wear and he certainly didn't tell us not to fall over. He didn't tell us to get to the ball first or that we should mark the ball when we are in front and spoil from behind and he didn't tell us that we should limit the amount of handballs and kick it as far forward as we can, either as a proper kick or off the ground and get it moving forward as fast as we could because it's wet and slippery.".

These are full time footballers and for us watching the team, to asses whether or not Hinkley's tactics and selections were justified, the players must first perform the absolute basics so we can see if Hinkley was right or not. In the "old days", we used to here from footballers how important it was to prepare correctly and do everything in their power to be ready to play at their best on match day.

These are personal things that players must be responsible for and sadly, our lot just don't seem to prepare themselves like professional footballers for every game. That is in not way meant to take the heat off Hinkley mind you, he has to wear the insipid performances and like the yanks say, "the buck stops with him.".

Dicko likes the play from behind these days

Sorry man, I don't know who Dicko is - excuse my ignorance. Are you talking about Charlie Dixon? He definitely showed signs of an affinity for playing from behind on the weekend.

Dicko is usually a shortened affectionate term.

Champion Data tables. Better late than never I guess.

Xscore 63 actual 49 vs Brizvegas 101 vs 97.

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Sigh. Another May 2019 schill.

They are still popping up!

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

No I'm a real person. And have been a Port fan for 50 years. Lived in the Port Adelaide area all my life. Attended Alberton Oval and finals at Adelaide Oval with my dad and have carried on the tradition with my kids - attending every home game at West Lakes and now Adelaide pus games and finals in every state and territory plus China. Still go to every magpie home game and was there today.

My Grandfather was a Port fan too - and a Gallipoli veteran btw. We take the good and the bad my family.

Decided to join this forum to express my views and interact.

Didn't realise it was a closed shop for whiners who just want an echo chamber. Who don't respect the views of others who disagree.

I get the message.

I won't be back. See Ya.

Last edited:

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No I'm a real person. And have been a Port fan for 50 years. Lived in the Port Adelaide area all my life. Attended Alberton Oval and finals at Adelaide Oval with my dad and have carried on the tradition with my kids - attending every home game at West Lakes and now Adelaide pus games and finals in every state and territory plus China. Still go to every magpie home game and was there today.

My Grandfather was a Port fan too - and a Gallipoli veteran btw. We take the good and the bad my family.

Didn't realise it was a closed shop for whiners who just want an echo chamber. Who don't respect the views of others who disagree.

I get the message.

I won't be back. See Ya.

Your rebuttal rings true. I apologise.

A number have joined about when you did, and all have very similar views. I believe that there are a number of plants on this board, and others - PAFC, Crow trolls?, who knows, pushing a corporate/political angle.

As for this being a closed shop for whiners, and an echo chamber, not so. I disagree with many, particularly those denigrating players like Sam Gray who try their guts out but are just short of top class, but still very valuable to the team. Then we have Janus - to me he oscillates with some really out there views, and I dislike his denigrating of those that disagree with him, but he isn't on ignore and I usually read most of what he writes. So it isn't closed. Everyone can join in. I think the mods do a terrific job here.

So you can whine about anything if you would like, and I will respect your views, even when I disagree with them.

Of course vitually everyone I know, here and outside BigFooty, have been whining for quite a few years now, particularly re Ken and Koch and the game plan, and recently some seemingly bizarre selections.

Do you whine about indiscriminate kicking into our forward lines?

But again, I apologise.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Port Adelaide Football Club, Est. 1870 - aT LeAsT wE bEaT tHe TiNgLeS
Boomers always seem to be either inane happy clappers who won't hear a word against anyone at the club, or alternatively militant hardcore Port diehards for whom a Hawthornlike Premiership era would be insufficiently Port Adelaide enough because Fos and Jack would have judged Butters haircut to be a breach of the creed.

And nothing in between.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I think we lack a proper gun key defender. Jonas isn't it. We need a star back, not a loose man but primarily a one on one type.

Clurey and Lienert are repurposed flankers and Howard is your third man up of a bygone era before all defenders were expected to mark if in good position.

Do any full forwards making their way down to position see our back six set up and think to themselves it could be a tough day at the office? I would doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does any back making way up to position see our forward-six set up and think to himself it could be a tough day at the office?

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

I get the message.

I won't be back. See Ya.
We are all mad in here!

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think we lack a proper gun key defender. Jonas isn't it. We need a star back, not a loose man but primarily a one on one type.

Clurey and Lienert are repurposed flankers and Howard is your third man up of a bygone era before all defenders were expected to mark if in good position.

Do any full forwards making their way down to position see our back six set up and think to themselves it could be a tough day at the office? I would doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This!

The club's number one priority for next season should be a strong marking key defender hopefully in the Daryl Wakelin mould, someone who can take the strong saving mark to stop the oppo, and be teamed with Howard ( who I believe has a future if used correctly ) as the two main men at fb and chb, as playing `repurposed flankers' in key positions is often a recipe for disaster.

Clurey does ok given his lack of genuine height, but he would be much better as the utility type 3rd tall, and the only mention I will give number 42, is the sooner he is out of the club the better!

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Back