Game Day Port v Hawthorn @ Etihad, Round 21 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Banner.png

A game
That amazing first quarter on Anzac Day. Who could forget that?

Weather: It's all about the roof

Teams
POWER
B: C.O’Shea, J. Hombsch, J. Pittard
HB: N. Krakouer, T. Jonas, M. Broadbent
C: H. Hartlett, R. Gray, B. Ebert
HF: J. Neade, J. Westhoff, C. Wingard
F: M. White, J. Schulz, A. Monfries
Foll: P. Ryder, T. Boak, S. Gray
Inter: B. Ah Chee, J. Butcher, J. Impey, K. Mitchell

Emerg: T. Clurey, M. Lobbe, A. Young
Ins: J. Schulz
Outs: J. Trengove

HAWKS
B: B. Stratton, B. Lake, J. Gibson
HB: G. Birchall, J. Frawley, S. Mitchell
C: B. Hill, S. Burgoyne, I. Smith
HF: C. Rioli, J. Gunston, L. Shiels
F: D. Hale, J. Roughead, L. Breust
Foll: B. McEvoy, L. Hodge, J. Lewis
Inter: M. Suckling, B. Hartung, P. Puopolo, R. Schoenmakers

Emerg: T. Duryea, A. Litherland, D. Howe
Ins: R. Schoenmakers
Outs: D. Howe

Record v Hawthorn
P30 W17 L13

LAST FIVE TIMES
R4, 2015, Port Adelaide 15.9 (99) d Hawthorn 13.13 (91) at Adelaide Oval
2PF, 2014, Hawthorn 15.7 (97) d Port Adelaide 13.16 (94) at the MCG
R10, 2014, Port Adelaide 15.10 (100) d Hawthorn 13.8 (86) at Adelaide Oval
R16, 2013, Hawthorn 19.10 (124) d Port Adelaide 12.7 (79) at AAMI Stadium
R20, 2012, Hawthorn 24.15 (159) d Port Adelaide 13.9 (87) at Aurora Stadium

A song
Rioli might be delicious but Wingod is Fergalicious

I think there's a contract between Etihad and the AFL in effect that says that a certain amount of 'blockbusters' have to be played there each year- not many, but 1 or 2. The_Wookie might know more. And in October 2014 this would have been a certain blockbuster; a guaranteed top 4 clash. No one saw our slide coming.

I just got up on a Thursday morning and there's a gameday thread up. Weird! Time for more coffee and enjoy a rare day off.

This will be my first ever game away from Adelaide. We're down and missing multiple key players and Hawthorn are flying with a much stronger looking team. We're playing at Etihad where we struggle to hold teams scoring against us and our defence is decimated. Apparently Etihad is one of the worst venues in the league. Sounds like a recipe for a miserab... Stop! Hold it right there! This is a recipe for a remarkable win and an awesome experience. I'm going to be cheering loudly and looking out for our younger players to continue on from last week and make their marks on the competition. I'm going to watch our boys play with pride in the jumper. I'm going to watch our boys take it up to those "unsociable" Hawks. What a joke of a concept that is, that people have latched onto. What do professional athletes expect playing them in this day and age? That they're going to be sent home on stretchers or in body bags? I mean really, what are they actually going to do to us that w can't do to them? I'm going to watch our boys face up, shape up, hit hard and smash hard when winning the ball. I am going to watch us hit on as hard as they hit us. When I see this, the rest is just a spectacle.

Did Schulz train all week?

Given they left Butcher in might suggest he could be a late out. Then if he is, the question's who do you bring in?

• Lobbe then sending Ryder to centre-half forward? Ryder's been playing better as a ruckman.
  • Clurey to cover for the absence of Trengove? Westhoff can go back if needed. Butcher's been playing back for the Magpies but it's risky to trial him in defence against Roughead.
  • Young to add an extra runner on a quick deck at Etihad? Who knows
Then again you could go in as selected rendering this post irrelevant.

Go Hawks! ;)

Butch will play on Hale, not Roughead. He's back there to replace Trengove's height. Hombsch or Jonas will get Roughead, and I must say that neither of those matchups fill me with confidence. The Hawks are a bad team for us to be missing Carlile against.

The result is irrelevant however This game needs to be mean something for the players. It needs to be about the players doing the 1%, working for each other and to show the club and supporters that 2015 was just an aberration. Like last week, I want to see plenty of aggression and gut running. I want to see blokes like Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell sacred to touch the ball. Anyway, looking forward to tonight. Come on Port.

Got a bad feeling this could be our biggest loss under Hinkley. Hawks team looks pretty much a complete unit. Robbie, boak and Hartlett need to have absolute blinders in the midfield for us to be within 5 goals imo. I am at a party with plenty of alcohol, so that helps.

Pulling off a win would rank in our top 10 victories of all time if we did it

Players missing from last time:

Trengove
Cornes
Young
Carlile
Polec
Lobbe

Players who have replaced them:

Butcher
Neade
Impey
S. Gray
O'Shea
Oh, and R. Gray

Did Schulz train all week?

Given they left Butcher in might suggest he could be a late out. Then if he is, the question's who do you bring in?

• Lobbe then sending Ryder to centre-half forward? Ryder's been playing better as a ruckman.
  • Clurey to cover for the absence of Trengove? Westhoff can go back if needed. Butcher's been playing back for the Magpies but it's risky to trial him in defence against Roughead.
  • Young to add an extra runner on a quick deck at Etihad? Who knows
Then again you could go in as selected rendering this post irrelevant.

Go Hawks! ;)
Nah we just have Schulz replacing Trengrove. Schulz will play as will Butch. We are not certain how Butch will be used though, maybe off the wing in the role Westoff usually plays with Westoff spending more time back in the defence. Schulz will play though.

First time we've ever played Hawthorn at Etihad...history here in the making!
Why are we playing the Hawks at Etihad? Is it because the AFL doesn't want to see the Hawks embarrassed by not filling the MCG when they play a non-Victorian side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we playing the Hawks at Etihad? Is it because the AFL doesn't want to see the Hawks embarrassed by not filling the MCG when they play a non-Victorian side?
When the draw was done this should have been one of the games of the season. Under the roof and plenty highlights in perfect conditions.

Yeah, pretty much. Prime example:

image.jpg

Horrible fixturing! Low-drawing opponent! Terrible timeslot! Hawks fans voted with their feet! Learn2SportingCapitalOfTheWorldGil!

image.jpg

Lowest crowd at Adelaide Oval! Typical Port fans! Here come the tarps! They'll only get 15,000 to the Freo game LOLOLOLOL!

Port's 2015 average home crowd would rank 6th in the EPL ahead of Chelsea, Everton and Tottenham. Kill this issue for good.

We covered this briefly on the Port Gameday Pod preview of tonight's game (nice segue!).

iTunes: https://goo.gl/0Vwrbo or Podomatic feed: http://portfanradio.podomatic.com

I really don't want to watch this game, but I know there's no way I will be able to stop myself.

Gonna be like one of those horror movies where you know the characters are about to get killed in some gruesome fashion but they still split up, and you still can't turn away. It feels like we've already split up and Trengove, Carlile, Wines, Lobbe and Polec to be the lucky survivors on a somewhat terrifying night.......

But then again hopefully I'm wrong and were at least competitive. :/

Tipped Hawks by 53. Fingers crossed it is under that.

Why not give Clurey more game time, he's our next best defender and we're going to give Butcher time down back? This isn't Madden 16 where you change a guys position because he has height or speed.

Give Butch extended time up forward, let's really see what he's got, not 1 or 2 games, give him a month up there.

Just want effort and aggression, let's get these poop and wee campaigners out of cruise mode & take a few down (legally of course ;))... Lake, Hodge & Mitchell hate em', carn' pear get nasty

AUGUST GRAND FINAL!!!

F@%k that unsociable s**t. Anti-social footy is where it's at.

Knee Mitchell's hip, put Lake in a choke-hold, forearm Hodgey's face on the bottom of a pack and squeal "I've done nothing!" to the ump.

As well as your garden variety sledging, niggling and sniping.

Four points and as many reports, thanks...

Why not give Clurey more game time, he's our next best defender and we're going to give Butcher time down back? This isn't Madden 16 where you change a guys position because he has height or speed.

Give Butch extended time up forward, let's really see what he's got, not 1 or 2 games, give him a month up there.
Season done, coaches know what they have got, Clurrey is fine, they don't need to see any more from him, they are obviously using the opportunity to give players like Butch one last shot, with our younger kids though they don't want to expose them this year, get ready to see a new forward line come ore-season, I have no doubt there is already a white board with names on it in the background. If we get Bass next year look out, we will be right back in top 4 contention and like Keating said, 'this is the recession we had to have'! Mark my words.

On tonight? Who knows, somewhat irrelevant, want to see some biff though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back