Autopsy Port v Melbourne review

Remove this Banner Ad

If anything it's overestimated. Franklin was at Sydney for 2/4 of the flags that Hawthorn have bagged in the last decade.
And they got Lewis' pick from a trade.

Fact is they did a lot right but getting Hodge, Mitchell in 2002 and Franklin, Roughead and Lewis in 2004 is a good start.
Only one of Franklin or Roughead was a priority pick. You'd probably have to say that it was Franklin.
Hodge and Lewis came from trades.
Mitchell was a second or third round pick.

Only one of Franklin or Roughead was a priority pick. You'd probably have to say that it was Franklin.

It was Roughead, who they really really wanted. Franklin was a bonus in more ways than one.

The Hawks were very bloody lucky to play in the 2014 grand final and they only won in 2015 because they got home ground advantage against a team that had actually earnt it by virtue of finishing higher on the ladder in the minor round AND thumping them in the first final. Not to mention Stevic's umpiring performances in both the 2014 and 2015 preliminary finals. The Hawks were very good, yes, but not great - too much 'luck' went their way - and great teams don't need luck.

It was Roughead, who they really really wanted. Franklin was a bonus in more ways than one.
I thought it was the opposite, where they really wanted Franklin but knew Richmond wouldn't pass on roughy so jumped on him early and risked it with buddy

The Hawks were very bloody lucky to play in the 2014 grand final and they only won in 2015 because they got home ground advantage against a team that had actually earnt it by virtue of finishing higher on the ladder in the minor round AND thumping them in the first final. Not to mention Stevic's umpiring performances in both the 2014 and 2015 preliminary finals. The Hawks were very good, yes, but not great - too much 'luck' went their way - and great teams don't need luck.

Geelong were without Paul Chapman in the 2013 PF too, and who knows if Travis Varcoe could kick straight at the end.

I thought it was the opposite, where they really wanted Franklin but knew Richmond wouldn't pass on roughy so jumped on him early and risked it with buddy

Yeah, in terms of the way they swung it (including having Richie 'next McLeod' Tambling spend time billeted with Gary Buckenara while they kicked the tyres), but Roughead was widely considered the can't miss power forward, whereas Buddy had the x-factor and 'could be anything' upside but was the riskier option.

Roughead was the non-negotiable they planned to build around though.

So not only did they get lucky with all their draft picks and trades, they seem to have got lucky winning premierships. That's some massive d*** kissing. Not to mention the greatest coach of all time.

Yeah, in terms of the way they swung it (including having Richie 'next McLeod' Tambling spend time billeted with Gary Buckenara while they kicked the tyres), but Roughead was widely considered the can't miss power forward, whereas Buddy had the x-factor and 'could be anything' upside but was the riskier option.

Roughead was the non-negotiable they planned to build around though.

Just found a Jon Ralph article about it all here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/9520316a88b04939e877f340cc2efe9e

So conflicting. On the one hand the prevailing sentiment says that Franklin was the man. But on the other, it says that Buddy's stock had fallen a little and Roughy's was rising. On talk that if they could only have one they'd have taken Buddy, ex-HFC GM John Hook "isn't so sure". Buckenara recently confirmed on SEN that Roughy was the safe stud and Buddy had the question marks so they were prepared to roll the dice on him. Also says that if Tambling was still there at 7 they'd have probably taken him ahead of Lewis: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/20/buckenara-on-the-three-picks-that-started-hawthorns-dynasty/

This Phantom Draft on Hawk Headquarters is pretty funny btw: http://www.hawkheadquarters.com/article.aspx?articleid=1600

Fascinating stuff really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they're average at all.
Their midfield is very good.
They have a very good ruckman and some quality players across HB and HF.
Gotta say though, the Dees have lost 16 games in a row against North Melbourne - if they make it 17 this weekend, it'll make me even angrier about last Saturday!!!

Gotta say though, the Dees have lost 16 games in a row against North Melbourne - if they make it 17 this weekend, it'll make me even angrier about last Saturday!!!

And there's every chance they will. Like us, it's what they do.

Yeah agree. Unless I'm mistaken they would have had the pick for Roughead if no teams got a first round PPs.

EDIT:
I just checked the order to see who the Bulldogs got where and Roughy would have been there for them but not Franklin with no PPs.

They were lucky that they got both talls.

Last edited:
The question is, are the standards that high at the administrative level or are we just happy to finish 8th and turn a solid profit? I'm unsure on the answer to this.
I dont think winning a flag is the main game atm. Being competitive by making the 8 to appease fans etc plus shoring up the clubs survival with long term sponsorship is. In some ways I get this but Im very dissatisfied at the same time.

Last edited:
Agree, despite that ridiculous winning streak, surely Norf can't win this week?!? Will definitely make our loss last week even worse if the Demons were to lose to that rabble.

I dont think winning a flag is the main game atm. Being competitive my making the 8 to appease fans etc plus shoring up the clubs survival with long term sponsorship is. In some ways I get this but Im very dissatisfied at the same time.

I would say the main game is to build a brand of football that is holistic throughout the club, from the senior players to the academy, so that just like a Sydney or a Hawthorn people can point and say "that's how Port Adelaide play".

You can't win a flag unless you are congruent with every aspect of what defines the club you represent.

Against Melbourne, we strayed away from playing roles for the first quarter because Wines and Wingard got into a pissing contest with the Demons' mids - that article about Chad was pretty much the worst thing that could have happened before such a match. When Gray went into the midfield he had no issues, simply because he played his role and did what he does.

We play consistent football with our brand, and make sure our brand is the strongest, and we win the flag. It's that simple.

Atleys miss was a sliding door. If he jad kicked his first AFL goal we would have been up and about and run over them I think.

Unfortunately we arent mentally tough enough to do it anyway when he misses.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The other sliding door moment in that last quarter was the non call of Jetta (?) running too far.

All in all though we did not deserve to get anywhere near winning that game after such a pathetic first half.

A lot will depend on how Viney pulls up.
He's the heart and soul of that team.

Mitchell came from a trade pick.

Trent Croad + Luke McPharlin to Freo for 1 (Hodge) + 20 ( Elstone 0 games ) + 36 (Mitchell)

Another reason why the Hawks have done well .... more good decision making off the field. The Age tonight

Hawthorn's $23 million haul wins pokies Premiership
Victorians have lost almost $94 million on football club-owned poker machines in the past year.

The state gambling regulator released new figures on Friday that showed total pokies losses ran to $2.6billion, roughly the same as the previous financial year.....................The Hawthorn Hawks reaped the most money for the year, $23.29 million, up 3.1 per cent on last year's $22.6 million. The second biggest taker was Carlton, with its 290 gaming machines claiming $17.6 million at four venues, up 3.3 per cent from last year..........

http://www.theage.com.au/business/h...-wins-pokies-premiership-20170728-gxl3q5.html

2907_AFL_take.jpg

Mitchell came from a trade pick.

Trent Croad + Luke McPharlin to Freo for 1 (Hodge) + 20 ( Elstone 0 games ) + 36 (Mitchell)
The ultimate non Big Footy quantity for quality trade. :D

Hawthorn traded in demand quality players to get quality.
They did the same thing again in 2004 to get the Lewis pick.

If anything it's overestimated. Franklin was at Sydney for 2/4 of the flags that Hawthorn have bagged in the last decade.
Yes, but those initial premierships, turned Hawthorn into a destination club, and the resultant recruiting of Gibson etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back