Game Day Port v Melbourne

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
That was an eye opener. We just ain't good enough.

Not sure I needed an eye opener as I suspected we are behind the top sides before tonight. We were beaten too easily by an outfit with more system. They moved the ball with more precision and their delivery to the forward line was the difference. Not sure if we lack system moving the ball to our forwards or we do not have the forwards to deliver the ball to or is it both? We got enough of the ball but didn't use it well enough.

Melbourne are living proof that if you have the right Coach you can turn things around in a year. With our Coach we will not turn it around in a decade if ever.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would you prefer if we had Charlie do it and remove the only guy in our forward line that even looked like halfing a contested marking situation?
Maybe we'd actually lower our eyes and honour a lead?

Maybe someone who have the balls to actually lead.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep, I think this is a real thing even if we take away all the hyperbole, Last year we had fewer home games, less expectation and presumably less focus from local media and the like. Possibly something the Club needs to look at addressing on a psychological level. 2019/2021 we've struggled at home, especially in big games or when there is something on the line.
We've struggled at home against good sides since 2015.
We played AAMI stadium better than this ground..

Jul 6, 2002
Go Power
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Not going to happen. We've had coach-killing losses strewn across the last 5 seasons or so with no consequences whatsoever. Remember that awful loss to the Hawks where post match video has him smiling with Clarkson? :mad:

The moment I lost faith in Ken was a game in 2017 against Richmond, that was our 8 point game in an open season and he butchered it.

It was the way we lost that night that was so similar to tonight. I remember posting in the main board game day thread that night as couldn’t make the game.

We don’t play top 8 sides much for the rest of the year so will scrape in a home final but I only see us going backwards in the next couple of years.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not making excuses but we’re missing 5-6 first choice players either injured or out of form, throw in at least 5-6 currently playing who are trash & is a big reason we’re trash. Don’t even get me started on ol man,car sale, deck chair dude we have employed as coach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He'll never get over being sacked.
He'll get the last laugh though. Flag at Richmond and probably a flag at Melbourne

He didn't get a flag at Richmond, they only started winning flags once they boned him.

Hasn't been at a club that has won a final since 2007.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not making excuses but we’re missing 5-6 first choice players either injured or out of form, throw in at least 5-6 currently playing who are trash & is a big reason we’re trash. Don’t even get me started on ol man,car sale, deck chair dude we have employed as coach.

Who? Duursma and Jones? Can't blame injuries anymore.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

We'd still lose that game at full strength, we have a putrid game style.

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We got the ball plenty, pumped it forward plenty. More inside 50s than them.

We need to find a way to get our forward line more functional - has been an issue for years

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yep if we had those 5-6 players working stupidly for longerly alongside all the other players working stupidly for longerly, we might get another luck goal or 2. Makes a big diff in these 'close' games.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We got the ball plenty, pumped it forward plenty. More inside 50s than them.

We need to find a way to get our forward line more functional - has been an issue for years
Remember when Bombers fans told us not to let Bassett near our forward line?

Last edited:

MaxPowa

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
* it, I've changed my mind we're winning the premiership. Hinkley is playing 4D chess that's why he covers his mouth when he yells into his mic so that the other coaches don't learn his master plan to lose to all the top sides so they don't consider us a threat and then in September we'll beat them all.

Mark my words before the season is out we'll see ken guzzling that sweet sweet zero calorie cola from the cup harderly for longerly.

tenor (2).gif

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Remember when Bombers fans told us bot to let Bassett near our forward line?

Yup, I think this is the one area of our game we just have not improved.

When do we see our forwards make multiple leads? When do we see them when any space to operate?

When do we see them with any separation with each other?

They all stand within 20m of each other and allow their defenders to drop off and help each other out.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure I needed an eye opener as I suspected we are behind the top sides before tonight. We were beaten too easily by an outfit with more system. They moved the ball with more precision and their delivery to the forward line was the difference. Not sure if we lack system moving the ball to our forwards or we do not have the forwards to deliver the ball to or is it both? We got enough of the ball but didn't use it well enough.

Melbourne are living proof that if you have the right Coach you can turn things around in a year. With our Coach we will not turn it around in a decade if ever.

Plus a couple of gun midfielders, we will never win a flag with our current midfield.

Back