Port v. Saints review

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Woah. First in after the win. So a quick review of how I saw the match unfold on TV. I'll leave the in depth review to those with the gift for prose.

The weather gods shined on Port from the start with the expected wet weather staying away, giving Port the chance to use their advantage in height to the full.

From the start the Power used that height to effect, Port were clearing it out of the centre with if not arrogance then without great contest. The surprise packet of the quarter was Josh Carr, racking up several possessions and a goal before the Saints could find a decent match up on him. After a tussle in the respective forward lines for the first five or so minutes Port cleaned up entries into the forward 50 and quickly moved out to a five goal quarter time lead.

It looked like more of the same at the start of the second, until the main instigators of the centre clearance dominance in Stevens and Brogan both left the ground with injuries. The Saints to their credit made good use of the Power's apparent short stocks and pegged back a couple of goals.

The Saints got back to 18 in the early part of the third and Port were looking a bit rattled. A few players looked like they collectively realised they'd have to work for the win. The return of Stevens and Brogan after the half-time break established Port's dominance from the centre again.

The final quarter was a bit less hectic as Port eased off towards the end of the match. A great game with the most pleasing aspect to me that some different players were amongst the best - Monty had the best game he's had this year and Carr played a great game. Cochrane did more then just tag with 23 possessions and plenty of drive down the ground. Go the Power. Can't wait to see us with a full team out on the park!

Good review Andre.

By the sounds of it we played alright. I decided to go to Glenelg today to see the Maggies win so i havent seen the game yet.

By the looks of it we all performed pretty well.

Was anyone tagging Harvey or Hayes? They both had over 30 touches...or was it a case that they were the only 2 Saints midfiedlers doing anything?

Did Gavin continue on his awesome form?

Ill watch the game later tonight and post up a review.

Originally posted by Macca19
Good review Andre.

By the sounds of it we played alright. I decided to go to Glenelg today to see the Maggies win so i havent seen the game yet.

By the looks of it we all performed pretty well.

Was anyone tagging Harvey or Hayes? They both had over 30 touches...or was it a case that they were the only 2 Saints midfiedlers doing anything?

Did Gavin continue on his awesome form?

Ill watch the game later tonight and post up a review.
Gavin was effective without showing the awesome form of this year. First time for myself anyway I didn't have him in the votes for the match. Harvey and Hayes were the only two standout Saints midfielders. Along with Reinwoldt the three who really played well. Both Harvey and Hayes appeared to get more of their possessions along half-back and centre compared to our midfield centre and forward from what I noticed - though admittedly I was just watching the match not tracking players in depth so may show differently at second viewing :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back