Port v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Good points sog35.

Get back to work, but.

It's all well and good to double-team and scrag W.G. Grace, but have you heard of Chad Cornes?

Originally posted by Andre
Each side only gets 18 players so they'll be sacrificing a free man somewhere on the ground to do it and with our run and delivery this year that'll punish them as much as a rampant Tredders.
Like Adam Kingsley!

courtesy of www.afl.com.au

Hamill sidelined by tiny tear

098215al.jpg

An unusual foot injury will prevent St Kilda skipper Aaron Hamill from playing in his club’s big round 12 clash with Port Adelaide in Tasmania this Saturday.

Hamill was ruled out after scans revealed small muscle tears in a foot that have troubled him since round nine.

At this stage Hamill’s recovery period is still unclear, but his foot will be immobilised immediately in order to fast-track his rehabilitation.

“He’ll be out, he won’t play,” St Kilda coach Grant Thomas told afl.com.au soon after the forced omission was made on Tuesday.

“It gives us the opportunity to get him right for the game after the bye. But there’s no guarantee of that. Hopefully he’ll be right by then.”

“It’s just a small niggling thing that’s probably gone past being able to inject it, and we’ve been able to ascertain that it’s a torn, very minute muscle on the outside bottom of the foot that controls the little toe.”

“There’s a tear in that so we need to make sure we get him right, so we’ve got to immobilise the foot, and we’ll start straight away on that,” Thomas said.

Hamill will wear a protective boot to immobilise his foot.

Hamill suffered the injury in an innocuous incident during the second quarter of St Kilda’s round nine loss to Collingwood.

He did not register a kick for the match, but was not given any pain-killing injections due to the uncertain nature of the complaint.

St Kilda doctors initially believed that the problem was in the padding of Hamill’s foot, but later discovered it was a muscle tear.

“It was very unusual. I haven’t seen many, if any, before, and he felt a bit of a tug and we just couldn’t get to any muscle, so they diagnosed it as that pad, but it’s proven to be a little muscle tear,” Thomas said.

Ruckman Trent Knobel will be tested tomorrow after he was concussed during the Saints’ inspirational five-point win over Brisbane last Saturday night.

The 23 year-old crashed to the ground after the opening bounce of the final term, and was removed from the field by a motorised stretcher.

Knobel will sit a test on Wednesday that will help determine the degree of his concussion and whether he needs to be rested.

Each St Kilda player undergoes a set assessment early in the year and sits the same test in the event that they are concussed. Their early results act as the control, and help doctors assess the extent of the concussion.

Knobel has been wearing a neck brace since he left hospital as a precaution.

“He’s going fine. He’s down at the club and all of that, but we’ll do tests on him tomorrow that will give him a better indication of whether he’s going to be available or not,” Thomas said.

In the absence of Knobel, Justin Koschitzke (ankle) and Matthew Capuano, who was sacked from the club two weeks ago, teenager Matt Maguire handled the rucking duties for the last quarter on Saturday.

If Knobel is unavailable this weekend, Maguire will combine with the inexperienced Chris Oliver.

Saints back-up ruckman Barry Brooks was outed for the season after he ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in a VFL match last week.

“If Trent’s not available we’ve got young Chris Oliver with us as well. There’s a couple of options there,” Thomas said.

Koschitzke was injured in round eight, but is expected to return after next week’s bye round.

Originally posted by Joffaboy
Good point, but thats what Brisbane probably thought on Saturday night, however the Saints dont mind a good hard scrap.

If the Saints had Knobel, Hamill and Penny in the team I would be confident of a Saints victory, without them, a victory seems remote, however I am sure the Saints will turn up on Saturday to give it a go.

Hamill is a big loss but Penny and Knobel wouldn't make our first 22. Even with those players you are being a tad optimistic. I say Port should win by 5-6 goals, I love it how people like to assess and judge Port yet make exceptions for there own missing players but forget about ours. We have played the majority of the year without Primus and Dew, missed players for parts of the year in the calibre of Tredrea, Hardwick etc and lost our key midfielder in Francou for the year yet we have won 8 out of the last 9. It is like Port is the lost continent, just laughed at Robert Walls saying Sydney is the premier team in the comp on sat night as he stated they had won 5 out of the last 6. Another commentator said that Port have now missed the boat and our time was up about 6 weeks ago, this is another fact I can't work out considering our stars and matchwinners are in the core age group of 22-25 with the exceptions of Primus late 20's, Francou late 20's and Gav late 20's. The majority of our older players are our 2nd tier players, not the 1st tier like Stevens, Tredders, Cornes etc

There's a definite edge in the ruck for us. 2 ruckmen, both 199cm against 1 of 190cm and 1 of 195cm. The edge is with us in experience, although a total 79 games against, well much less isn't anything to talk of. But it's not just in the ruck. Our running players can run havoc and I can't see Robert Harvey and Lenny Hayes getting the freedom afforded them by Brisbane, who don't seem to be travelling all that well this year. I'm tipping Port by 40.

Not only do we have one of the best sides going around at the minute but also we have the best injury list (talent wise).

In fact we probably have an injury list that would probably beat some of the current teams playing.

God help the other teams when we get our full side back on the park!

If I was Saint Kilda I would be matching up their talls with our talls as much as possible even if this meant playing their complete forward line with smalls.

They should be looking at outrunning the likes of Wakelin and Paxman, if Saint Kilda bomb it into their forward line we will have a field day.

If the Saints can't get the rain they want for the game they better turn on the sprinklers the night before.

Originally posted by Porthos
So should we be expecting an absolute scragfest from the Saints then?

We have actually been a reasonably dirty side this year and there has been a fair bit of nastiness in a lot of our games. This has been a refreshing change actually, as quite often in the past we lacked mongrel more than anything else. There are no real thugs, but some of the players are definitely going in more often for the "hard" stuff.

Personnel wise, losing our captain is the biggest blow to the club. He is, right now, the most important player in the team. Definitely not the best (Banger, Hayes, St.Nick, Gherig all ahead of him), but we play better as a team when he is on the park. He also protects the younger guys and takes a lot of the heat from the young players. The fact that he also tackles like a madman, regularly kicks goals from 50m out when the game is on the line and draws one of the best defenders, as well as being a natural leader also helps. Devastating loss for us. Somebody also mentioned that Penny would not get a game at Port (or be in the 22??? can't remember), which is a load of tripe. I'm not biased enough to say that Knobel would get a run (he would not even come close), but i'm sure your club would like to have a tall, athletic defender who doesn't panic when he has the ball.

Anyway, Port should clearly dominate this match. You have class running players all over the ground, the best CHF in the land and are well drilled in your game plan. Our only chance is to dominate through the middle of the ground, however even that may not be enough. I cannot see us kicking enough goals to give the Power any semblance of trouble.

Power by 5 goals (we are heading down to Tassie for the match, so i'll write a match report, unless we lose by a whole heap)

BTW, I have been advocating St.Nick at CHB for a long time. The problem is, Kosi has not had enough time on the ground to allow that to happen (and GT isn't a fan of the theory anyway, instead playing Kosi in the ruck) and Nick keeps producing at CHF. Nick is also still a relatively skinny player and if he keeps taking the punishment he receives right now, he will be in trouble later in his career.

Saints best chance to win is with Riewoldt forward. Our natural matchup for him is out (Bishop), and our other two key defenders are better suited to slower stronger forwards. They did keep Tarrant and Rocca goaless though I guess.

The strength of our backline is definitely with the small players though, will be tough for the saints to kick a winning score on Wanganeen, Hardwick, Montgomery, S Burgoyne etc. without the help of Gehrig and Riewoldt. These guys have made a habit of carving up small forwards over the last 2 years. Quick talls and forward running midfielders are better scoring options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of interest...Did Port trade Bode to get the first round pick that would land Burgoyne? Was it always the plan to target him with which ever pick? Did the crows know about him? Or do i have the circumstances all wrong?

Originally posted by MightySaint
Out of interest...Did Port trade Bode to get the first round pick that would land Burgoyne? Was it always the plan to target him with which ever pick? Did the crows know about him? Or do i have the circumstances all wrong?

We traded Bode and pick 40-odd for Pick 12, which the camries had gotten from Hawthorn for Rehn.

Whether they got that pick just for burgoyne is debatable, as they had no guarantee he would still be around.

Shaun Burgoyne and Steven Salopek could both be at Hawthorn if they didn't trade for old ruckmen every 2-3 years.

Too good in too many positions for the Saints we are. If this game was played at the Dome I would expect a closer contest, but York Park is an unknown for them.

Port by 29 points.

Somebody also mentioned that Penny would not get a game at Port (or be in the 22??? can't remember), which is a load of tripe. I'm not biased enough to say that Knobel would get a run (he would not even come close), but i'm sure your club would like to have a tall, athletic defender who doesn't panic when he has the ball.

Yeah that somebody was me.
Penny would be slotted behind Thurstans and just in front of Morgan as far as our list is concerned.
If Morgan doesn't work out this year we will probably throw them into the draft pool for you guys to add with the likes of Barham, Murray, Brooks etc. all ex Port players.

Originally posted by rubberman
Too good in too many positions for the Saints we are. If this game was played at the Dome I would expect a closer contest, but York Park is an unknown for them.

Port by 29 points.
Nah. If it was at the Dome we'd win by more. We have a better record there then at Footy Park the last 2 or 3 years :p

Somebody also mentioned that Penny would not get a game at Port (or be in the 22??? can't remember), which is a load of tripe. I'm not biased enough to say that Knobel would get a run (he would not even come close), but i'm sure your club would like to have a tall, athletic defender who doesn't panic when he has the ball.

Lets be fair Penny would be lucky to make our list, not to mention our starting 22.

We have a couple of "tall, atlethic defenders", their names are Bishop & Thurstans, and both would get a game well infront of Luke Penny. Even saying that the Thrust still struggles to get a regular game.

Well unfortunately the weather forecast at present is for showers in Tasmania saturday. Of course that could change easily.

Knobel is now a definite out for the Saints, so their ruck stocks and tall KPP's are looking very thin at best. I guess it's a good thing Bishop isn't fit to return this week. With the Saints lack of height and the wet weather we'd be going too tall down back by the look of it anyway with him alongside Wakelin and Paxman.

Assuming we get back Che this week I'd have a forward line structure as follows.

FF : P. Burgoyne Brogan/Lade Pickett
HF : C. Cornes Tredrea ****atoo-Collins

Tredrea, Chad and the 'resting ruckman' give them headaches for matching our height, with Che, Byron and Senior Burgoyne providing the speed.

Junior to start down the back part of the ground on Milne. Junior, SuperGav and other 'smalls' can be rotated through the forward lines if required. With that set up should stretch them a fair way beyond what they can handle with their defenders.

Well unfortunately the weather forecast at present is for showers in Tasmania saturday. Of course that could change easily.

Knobel is now a definite out for the Saints, so their ruck stocks and tall KPP's are looking very thin at best. I guess it's a good thing Bishop isn't fit to return this week. With the Saints lack of height and the wet weather we'd be going too tall down back by the look of it anyway with him alongside Wakelin and Paxman.

Assuming we get back Che this week I'd have a forward line structure as follows.

FF : P. Burgoyne Brogan/Lade Pickett
HF : C. Cornes Tredrea ****atoo-Collins

Tredrea, Chad and the 'resting ruckman' give them headaches for matching our height, with Che, Byron and Senior Burgoyne providing the speed.

Junior to start down the back part of the ground on Milne. Junior, SuperGav and other 'smalls' can be rotated through the forward lines if required. With that set up should stretch them a fair way beyond what they can handle with their defenders.

With Knobel out my five goals looks a little thin. I would imaging Port by 8 - 10 goals.
Injuries may sound like an excuse, but to lose Knobel, Penny, and Hamill, all talls, to co-incide with losses of Hudghton and Kosi, the Saints will be terribly undermanned.

Unfortunately for us, Port looks pretty stong and way too tall. and the Saints will have to rob Reiwoldt, and Gehrig from the forwards. This means the Saints will be small up forward.

The ruck has been the Saints problem all year, however we have been strong in clearances which means that all we need in the ruck is for someone to make a contest and the two best midfielders in the competition at present in Hayes and harvey will give the forwards plent of opportunitys. Still the opportunities will have to be about 10 to 1 in favour of the Saintsfor them to have any chance whatsoever (which i believe is zero).

Hopefully Port will be so complacent that they dont start the game until 2.10, by this time the Saints will have built up such a lead that Port wont be able to catch us.

In reality it would be best for the Saints to forfeit this game so as not to get any more injuries, and come back bigger and better after the break.
As i said Port by 8 -10 goals. Without the injuries, it would have been an even contest.

BTW, I have been advocating St.Nick at CHB for a long time. The problem is, Kosi has not had enough time on the ground to allow that to happen (and GT isn't a fan of the theory anyway, instead playing Kosi in the ruck) and Nick keeps producing at CHF. Nick is also still a relatively skinny player and if he keeps taking the punishment he receives right now, he will be in trouble later in his career.
I have always been a tad apprehensive of your fast-tracking of players.
Some you can do it with, but others you must nurse them along if you want them to have a long career.
Wrt the ones you mentioned, there is absolutely no doubt that both Kosi and "St Nick" are very special young players, but IMO both have been played in too taxing roles too early in their careers. Hopefully this will not affect their careers in a negative way.

As i said Port by 8 -10 goals. Without the injuries, it would have been an even contest.

Again lets be fair, if the saints went in at full strength (or very close) and Port went in with the team available this week then it would be a close contest. But Port at full strength and the saints at full strength would still result in a reasonably easy Port victory i'd think.

It'd be interesting. I'd like to see their (for AFL players) undersized bodies try to out muscle the likes of Pickett, Tredrea and Lade. I have a vision of someone running into a wall then bouncing off it and hitting the ground hard :p

lol:D :D :D
and then have Cornes wipe his boots on them
lol:D :D :D

With Knobel out my five goals looks a little thin. I would imaging Port by 8 - 10 goals.
Injuries may sound like an excuse, but to lose Knobel, Penny, and Hamill, all talls, to co-incide with losses of Hudghton and Kosi, the Saints will be terribly undermanned.

Injuries are part of our game, live with it. We had ample injuries for the first six rounds of the year and nobody made exceptions, they just used our form from a week to week basis and wrote us off.
You are starting too sound like a Crow supporter with all these excuses of injuries, Even with Knobel, Penny, Hamill, Kosi and Hudghton out they don't compare to All-Australians Primus and Francou as well as the gamebreaker Dew and Wilson, maybe in a few years they may have the same impact as the players we are missing but not at the moment. If anything both sides at Full Strength and Port would be better off going into this clash.
I see this game is going to be a tight scrappy game and a I don't see the margin being more than 5 goals, 9 degrees, wet conditions, we will see a lot of fumbling and it could go either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back