Game Day Port v the team that gave the Crows Darcy Fogarty for Charlie Cameron lol

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s amazing how many times results go our way during the day games and all we have to do is win our night match.
We don’t like taking the easy way road.
You can just about set your clock by it. When we get a golden chance to catch up with sides or establish a break, our odds of a What Happen Power double at least.

He said it with 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter when we were 48 points down. I mean, I get the commentators want to talk up the game and keep it alive as long as possible, but bloody hell.
Teams come back from 8 goals down about as often as Donald Trump utters the words, "I was wrong." Last night was never going to be one of those rare occasions.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When was the last time we’ve come back from any margin whatsoever? Most of our wins in the last few years we’ve lead from start to finish. We’ve got no fight or ticker to come back when we are up against it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
When was the last time we’ve come back from any margin whatsoever? Most of our wins in the last few wins we’ve lead from start to finish. We’ve got no fight or ticker to come back when we are up against it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We're not a comeback team whatsoever. The tone is set for the type of game it's going to be in the first quarter every week.

It's why we all get so despondent when the opposition kick 3-4 goals clear early - we know that even though there's still plenty of time, there's no coming back.

Equally, if we get out to a 3-4 goal lead, you can get pretty comfortable because we're also good front runners and won't let the opposition back in.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Im feeling better about this in retrospect as opposed to our usual loss against Brisbane
sdrtyujm,l;.gif

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I long for the sanfl days where commentators would say ‘never write Port Adelaide off.’ They just knew we would make a huge push at getting back into any game and most times it happened. And it happened when Ken first got here in 2013. What’s happened since I have nfi. I can’t remember a serious comeback since ‘13.

I long for the sanfl days where commentators would say ‘never write Port Adelaide off.’ They just knew we would make a huge push at getting back into any game and most times it happened. And it happened when Ken first got here in 2013. What’s happened since I have nfi. I can’t remember a serious comeback since ‘13.

Nowadays I check the AFL app 5 minutes in, see that we are down by four goals and then go watch a movie.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I mean to even hint at a big comeback in a game you have to actually look like you give a s**t & display effort, we curl the toes up at around a 4 goal deficit.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have we even come back from 2-3 goals down in the last 8 years? It's actually ridiculous how every game we play in is decided in the first quarter.

Why?

Give me something to cling to.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last few years we've been embarrassing in the midfield against Brisbane. The "Sutcliffe" game we were 6 goals down in a blink of an eye because our midfield didnt turn up. Last year we got smashed in the middle in Q2 and Q3 giving up something like 10 consecutive centre clearances.

This year we actually matched, if not beat them in the midfield battle. This loss was all down to execution and positioning. We had plenty of opportunities to do something up forward but our forward positioning was atrocious.

We are going to lose games. It happens. There's no shame in losing to WC and Brisbane on their home deck where both are virtually unbeatable.

Have we even come back from 2-3 goals down in the last 8 years? It's actually ridiculous how every game we play in is decided in the first quarter.

Plenty

Nothing springs to my mind. Definitely seems to me that we aren't a comeback team.

If you are going back 8 years then a few of our wins in 2014 were comebacks, including against Freo in the final.

The Motlop showdown we were well down until Gray took over.

Do you include the Robbie Gray last second winner against St Kilda when we kicked 2 in the last minute to win. Melbourne 2018. Thats just off the top of my head. I'm sure theres others.

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Pretty safe to say we have become a team that is amazing in perfect conditions and horrible in the wet. We are so bad at changing our gamestyle when it is required due to weather.

If you are going back 8 years then a few of our wins in 2014 were comebacks, including against Freo in the final.

Do you include the Robbie Gray last second winner against St Kilda when we kicked 2 in the last minute to win. Melbourne 2018. Thats just off the top of my head. I'm sure theres others.

Gray's after the siren last year. 2020 I thought we were very resilient.

Nowadays I check the AFL app 5 minutes in, see that we are down by four goals and then go watch a movie.
I watched the first ten minutes of this one, told the lady friend it will be a waste of an evening watching and read a book instead.

Problem is I have to watch it knowing it'll be a s**t show now.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Just looked into this a bit further and that showdown we were 21 points down at half time and Melbourne game 14 points down at quarter time. St Kilda game 10 points down with a couple minutes to go.

So yeah there have been couple in the 2-3.5 goal range, but nothing more than that i can think of.

I probably meant to say in the last 7 years too.

Would be nice to come back from a decent margin for once.

We are going to lose games. It happens. There's no shame in losing to WC and Brisbane on their home deck where both are virtually unbeatable.
And the good news is that neither are likely to win enough games away from home that we'd have to play a final against them on their home deck this year.

We can't beat West Coast at Optus or Brisbane at the Gabba? Well, it's not ideal, but it doesn't mean we can't win a flag.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is the glaring difference between port sanfl and port afl.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The last few years we've been embarrassing in the midfield against Brisbane. The "Sutcliffe" game we were 6 goals down in a blink of an eye because our midfield didnt turn up. Last year we got smashed in the middle in Q2 and Q3 giving up something like 10 consecutive centre clearances.

This year we actually matched, if not beat them in the midfield battle. This loss was all down to execution and positioning. We had plenty of opportunities to do something up forward but our forward positioning was atrocious.

So what do we do if we end up in an away final against one of them?

Concede?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back