Port v West Coast review

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we won...but again we didnt look overly convincing. We should not of let the Eagles get back into it in the second quarter. Our second half was much better but still wasnt very convincing. However...we did win by 9 goals so i guess you gotta be happy with that. I thought we didnt have many stand outs, but a lot of our players played very good consistent games.

Player reviews:

Primus - played an awesome game back from injury. Beat Gardiner and Cox in the ruck and played a very good game

Wakelin - thought he was awful early but after 1/4 time he was one of our best players....thwarting many an Eagles attack and destroying Wilson

Montgomery - a very good game by Monty. A 4 quarter effort and was good in defence

Wanganeen - One of our better players...probably BOG in the first half. A bit quieter in the second half but he did some magical things today

Lade - was killed in the ruck in thesecond quarter. Kicked a goal in the last half but other than that was shocking

Schofield - one of our very best again. For some reason he was on the bench for a fair bit of the second quarter...but had a bloody good second half

Burgoyne - Selfish. He is so bloody selfish its frustrating to watch. He could of handballed to Tredders, but no...he tried to be a hero and run around a few players. Played a pretty good game but his ego needs a reality check

Carr - quiet again. Did alright in the second half.

Francou - One of our better players early...wasnt as good in the second half but one of our best

Hardwick - dislocated his finger in the second quarter but stayed on....i thought he played a pretty good game in defence

Cockatoo Collins - in and out of the game a bit. Kicked 3 goals but only played well in parts

Tredrea - went on a rampage after Jakovich went off before being well held by Glass in teh second quarter. Came into it again in the second half and ended up playing one of his best games. 5 goals, 2 points, 1 on the full.

Dew - Started well...but then didnt get a kick till the last quarter where he kicked another good goal.

Bishop - I thought he played an excellent game in defence. Made two very stupid errors, but made up for them by playing very well.

Poulton - came on in the last quarter and did some very good things. Again...noone can fault his game this week either. Deserves another week

Kingsley - i thought he was bloody awful today. Cousins started to come into the game when Kingsley was moved onto him. Bloody awful.

French - hardly got any game time at all.

Mead - The Rock. Our best player i thought...he had 100 marks down back i reckon. He stopped the majority of the Eagles attacks and was back to his best in defence.

Gueraa - only got about 2 1/2 minutes of game time. Id hate to think how he feels....so f'n talented but rarely gets more than 15 minutes a match. GIVE HIM A BLOODY GO MARK :mad:

Cornes - not a bad game. Played fairly well actually.

Nick Stevens - pretty good game by Nick i thought. One of his best games for the year

Roger James - now THAT is the Jamesy of old. Best midfielder today i thought. He was absolutely awesome in the middle of the ground.

Macca19 Player of the Year votes:

10 - Mead, James
9 - Schofield, Tredrea
8 - Wanganeen, Wakelin
7 - Primus, Francou, Bishop, N Stevens
6 - Montgomery, Cornes
5 - Hardwick
4 - Burgoyne
3 - Carr, Cockatoo Collins, Dew, Poulton

BF Player of the Year votes:
5 - Mead
4 - James
3 - Schofield
2 - Tredrea
1 - Wakelin

Originally posted by Macca19
Player reviews:
Wakelin - thought he was awful early but after 1/4 time he was one of our best players....thwarting many an Eagles attack and destroying Wilson
The destruction of Wilson was helped a lot by West Coast midfielders consistently trying to bomb goals from the 50.

Wanganeen - One of our better players...probably BOG in the first half. A bit quieter in the second half but he did some magical things today
Geez, every time I saw him with the ball, he didn't use it anywhere nearly as efficiently or cleverly as usual...so many passes to players under pressure.

Lade - was killed in the ruck in thesecond quarter. Kicked a goal in the last half but other than that was shocking
I don't reckon he won the ruck, but he wasn't killed.

Burgoyne - Selfish. He is so bloody selfish its frustrating to watch. He could of handballed to Tredders, but no...he tried to be a hero and run around a few players. Played a pretty good game but his ego needs a reality check
One game like this, and you go off? I've been extremely impressed by how unselfish he's been this season, where he would normally think of snapping one off himself.

Francou - One of our better players early...wasnt as good in the second half but one of our best
Playing the likes of Schofield and Burgoyne next to the tap and leaving Francou as a receiver outside in the first quarter certainly brought him into the game and had a big influence.

Cockatoo Collins - in and out of the game a bit. Kicked 3 goals but only played well in parts
As much as Peter, I think Che was a bit selfish at times today, and didn't play percentage kicks until he got Choco in his ear at half time.

Tredrea - went on a rampage after Jakovich went off before being well held by Glass in teh second quarter. Came into it again in the second half and ended up playing one of his best games. 5 goals, 2 points, 1 on the full.
I have to say, I did see us playing through CHF a lot today, even when Jako was on ;)

Dew - Started well...but then didnt get a kick till the last quarter where he kicked another good goal.
He's a great impact player....takes a while for matchups to work if he's not always on the field.

Bishop - I thought he played an excellent game in defence. Made two very stupid errors, but made up for them by playing very well.
Agreed. Played well under pressure.

Roger James - now THAT is the Jamesy of old. Best midfielder today i thought. He was absolutely awesome in the middle of the ground.
Yeah...when he's been lying low, you know a big one is coming up.

I was actually happy with the way Lade played today.
He is starting to do those things that influence the way a side plays.
Until now I thought he was playing without influencing.
We should not have high expectations until later in the year.
Just in time for the finals.:)

1st quarter great
2nd quarter very slack
3rd quarter great - WCE almost scoreless
4th quarter great

I felt that on this day we were far superior to the opposition, though they have a neat trick of kicking running goals from the bounce. Judd looks the goods, and fast.

Our defence was very good. The players got to the contests in numbers. They must have practiced those round-the-body kicks for goal!!

I couldn't pick a weak link today. Bring on the Lions.

Originally posted by jod23
Once again, Primus didnt kill Gardiner...Gardy didnt even play the second half....went off injured.

nah....he killed him :D :p ;)

Well we won...but again we didnt look overly convincing. We should not of let the Eagles get back into it in the second quarter. Our second half was much better but still wasnt very convincing. However...we did win by 9 goals so i guess you gotta be happy with that. I thought we didnt have many stand outs, but a lot of our players played very good consistent games.

Player reviews:

Primus - played an awesome game back from injury. Beat Gardiner and Cox in the ruck and played a very good game

Montgomery - a very good game by Monty. A 4 quarter effort and was good in defence

Schofield - one of our very best again. For some reason he was on the bench for a fair bit of the second quarter...but had a bloody good second half

Hardwick - dislocated his finger in the second quarter but stayed on....i thought he played a pretty good game in defence

Poulton - came on in the last quarter and did some very good things. Again...noone can fault his game this week either. Deserves another week

Kingsley - i thought he was bloody awful today. Cousins started to come into the game when Kingsley was moved onto him. Bloody awful.

Mead - The Rock. Our best player i thought...he had 100 marks down back i reckon. He stopped the majority of the Eagles attacks and was back to his best in defence.

Gueraa - only got about 2 1/2 minutes of game time. Id hate to think how he feels....so f'n talented but rarely gets more than 15 minutes a match. GIVE HIM A BLOODY GO MARK :mad:

Nick Stevens - pretty good game by Nick i thought. One of his best games for the year

Macca19 Player of the Year votes:

10 - Mead, James
9 - Schofield, Tredrea
8 - Wanganeen, Wakelin
7 - Primus, Francou, Bishop, N Stevens
6 - Montgomery, Cornes
5 - Hardwick
4 - Burgoyne
3 - Carr, Cockatoo Collins, Dew, Poulton

BF Player of the Year votes:
5 - Mead
4 - James
3 - Schofield
2 - Tredrea
1 - Wakelin

Hey Macca,

Thats what my post about Powerhouse Port said....except perhaps for all those....Words..!!

Regards

PA1870:D :D ;) ;)

First quarter of football would have been our best footy for the year.......second quarter the midfield appeared to go missing and we were second to the ball as well as not manning up when needed.......third quarter was a tight encounter with for the first 15 mins with our midfield starting to find their touch again......last quarter was a lot like the third quarter until they faded n the last 10 mins.......

Good to see him back in the side......his second and third efforts in ruck contests are inspiring for the rest of the side......a good warm up for next week

Thought he was the best of the big 3 in the backlines today.....is playing much better this year given the added responsibility of taking on the full forwards........was helped by the fact the media ensured Wilson had a bad game by giving him a good wrap during the week.......his judgement meant he was first to the ball on many occasions.....

Thought he had a quiet game until they showed his stats after the game......still trying to find the game stats somewhere as AFL site has been dead for a while.......

A quiet game by his usual standards and as Porthos said some poor disposals......but still seemed to have a lot of time as usual......

Actually thought he got his hand on the ball just as many times as the opposition ruckmen but their midfielders were beating ours.......he's getting better and better each week.....

quieter than last week.....but that's understandable given the game he played then.........might explain part of the reason our midfield was so disappointing in the 2nd quarter......

that's being a little cruel.....yes he tried a little bit too much on a couple of occasions but we all love it when he does get past the opposition......I was more disappointed with a couple of his chases as it seemed he wasn't running as hard as he could......still playing much better than last year.....

was going to have a blinder or a quiet one given last Sunday night's events........still not a bad game though

provided a lot of drive in the first quarter but wasn't allowed as much freedom after that......

would have loved to have seen the close up on the face as they popped it back in........one of a formidable backline again......

A normal game for Che......he'll never stand out for a full game but when he has his moments is great to watch.......loved the attempt over his head.......

Another great game.....always presents himself in a contest and not a bad effort kicking for goal.......

Thought he was off the ground for a lot of the 2nd and 3rd quarters.......those long snaps in the first quarter were what we know him for.......

Another good game by Bish........I wouldn't put all the blame on him for the mistakes as someone should have been warning him......and appeared he had no contest or player to kick to......not that you can tell with the camera shots.......

Another good performance and will keep his spot this week.....

Didn't think he was that bad.......perhaps he enjoys the run on the ball a bit more and didn't get that many opportunites this week........

Was handy to have just in case their was a problem with Primus......would have like to have seen him given a longer run in the forward lines......

Certainly back to his best the last 2 weeks.......he'll be a key this week againt Brown.......

Guerra - only got about 2 1/2 minutes of game time. Id hate to think how he feels....so f'n talented but rarely gets more than 15 minutes a match. GIVE HIM A BLOODY GO MARK :mad:

Still played a great game when he was on......I'm sure he'll get his chances as the season goes on.......

Thought he played a very good game.....his 2nd efforts and tackling were great and resulted in a few mistakes by the Eagles....

Still a bit off his best but then last year he had a slow start as well........getting better and better each week......

Agree with you there.....after a few disappointing games when given his chance he took it and showed the form we all know he has.....

Also have to give a big thumbsdown to the Fox commentary team.........the way they were talking we didn't have a good player on the ground........even Bartlett was heaping praises on the West Coast players all day.........not that they showed the best players at the end of the game but I'm sure the way they were talking we would have had only 1 player in the best 3.......even though we won by 9 goals........

we played for 2 1/2 quarters..........will need to play for 4 quarters this week against the Lions to have a good chance........looking forward to it..........

and a special thanks to Austar, Fox and the AFL for finally sorting out our TV coverage in the NT........

Go Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back