Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn’t he got something like a 20-0 (100%!!!111) record against bottom-10 teams in the past 2 years.
Not anymore, West Coast ruined that for us by shitting the bed in the second half of the season after beating us in the first half.

So since the end of 2015 we are 5-25 against top 4 teams. I may have missed 1 or 2 games. Not happy reading.

So I've done the numbers on this. Only using H/A games and using ladder positions at the end of each H/A season, here is the ladder of win % against top 4 teams since the start of 2017 (teams have played 24 +/- 3 games against top 4 sides in this time)

1​
GWS
31.4​
2​
Geelong
31.3​
3​
Richmond
30.0​
4​
Sydney
29.4​
5​
WCE
27.6​
6​
Crows
25.0​
7​
Hawks
22.6​
8​
Lions
22.2​
9​
Melbourne
20.7​
10​
WBD
20.6​
11​
Pies
17.9​
12​
NM
17.9​
13​
Saints
16.7​
14​
Freo
13.8​
15​
Port
12.0​
16​
Carlton
11.1​
17​
Essendon
10.7​
18​
GCS
4.3​

For Port, that's 3 wins from 22 matchups.

Drew on the bench when Libba would be seeing flames from his performance 3 weeks prior.

Boak, Dixon and Gray missing goals they should have kicked.

Touched ball on Marshalls goal - momentum killer.

Dogs were hungrier, better prepared after using the travel schedule and lack of training as motivation, we seemed spooked and/or complacent.

Was the first time I considered leaving at half time. I left work and walked into the pub to see the score 31-0 and thought it’s done.

So heartbreaking. This was our chance.
But maybe a hard fought win would have lead to a pantsing vs Dees in Perth... so I don’t know what I’d prefer.

Sigh, I’m just shattered.

Now to try source GF tickets anyway...

So I've done the numbers on this. Only using H/A games and using ladder positions at the end of each H/A season, here is the ladder of win % against top 4 teams since the start of 2017 (teams have played 24 +/- 3 games against top 4 sides in this time)

1​
GWS
31.4​
2​
Geelong
31.3​
3​
Richmond
30.0​
4​
Sydney
29.4​
5​
WCE
27.6​
6​
Crows
25.0​
7​
Hawks
22.6​
8​
Lions
22.2​
9​
Melbourne
20.7​
10​
WBD
20.6​
11​
Pies
17.9​
12​
NM
17.9​
13​
Saints
16.7​
14​
Freo
13.8​
15​
Port
12.0​
16​
Carlton
11.1​
17​
Essendon
10.7​
18​
GCS
4.3​

But… but… 60% win-loss record! 🤪

11 of the 18 teams have made GFs since Ken’s tenure started... but not us...

If its a repeat of 02-04 these past two years and 2022 then thats cruel, but no flag next year and its rebuild

It’s that time of the year again where I consider taking up more hobbies to soften the blow of events such as last night.

Doesn’t help, I have so many hobbies and right now I’m just a bit miffed thinking about what I could have achieved with them in the time I devoted to footy this winter.
To finish in such a deplorable fashion, they didn’t even put up a fight!

Tom Rehn on 5AA this morning, "There's been some suggestion that replacing Ken Hinkley as coach is the answer. There aren't too many coaches who can boast a 60% record as coach - who do you replace him with?" Give me strength - we can now add Melbourne to the list of teams that have made a grand final since we last did so: maybe Essendon is next???
Make no mistake, the AFL will be doing all it can to get Essendon and Carlton "back up where they belong". It's only a matter of time and yes, they will reach the GF before we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-23 in contested ball in q1. the worst qtr ever recorded ffs. the stat that has determined our wins this past two years. couple that with our ever-present slow starts and sub-par set shot kicking... it all culminated to the eruption of pure f***ery that was saturday night
Give us a break. We'd just travelled to 5 states in 14 days, lost two key players ahead of the match and haven't had a rest since the mid season bye - we were always going to start slow against a fresh and fully healthy team.

Our AFL era legacy can so far be described as perennial chokers. We have taken that title from Collingwood and I’m not even sure if it is with coaches or just mentality at the club
Despite the talk of Colliwobbles, I don't think Collingwood have been chokers. I actually think they've been overachievers more than chokers.

For most of the past 50 years, they just haven't been that good and I'm surprised they've played in as many GFs as they have in that time because, on pure talent, they had no right to be in most of them.

1​
GWS
31.4​
2​
Geelong
31.3​
3​
Richmond
30.0​
4​
Sydney
29.4​
5​
WCE
27.6​
6​
Crows
25.0​
7​
Hawks
22.6​
8​
Lions
22.2​
9​
Melbourne
20.7​
10​
WBD
20.6​
11​
Pies
17.9​
12​
NM
17.9​
13​
Saints
16.7​
14​
Freo
13.8​
15​
Port
12.0​
16​
Carlton
11.1​
17​
Essendon
10.7​
18​
GCS
4.3​

needs to go in the Hinkley stats thread.

-23 in contested ball in q1. the worst qtr ever recorded ffs. the stat that has determined our wins this past two years. couple that with our ever-present slow starts and sub-par set shot kicking... it all culminated to the eruption of pure f***ery that was saturday night

as does this.

It’s that time of the year again where I consider taking up more hobbies to soften the blow of events such as last night.

I don’t understand how after 2 weeks off we can give a team a 6 goal head start in our biggest game of the year, it truly baffles me.

as for the club, they need to work out whether Hinkley can get them to the next level, that’s just high performance sport.
Head over to the Lego Thread :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back