Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember as a kid we lost to Glenelg by almost 100 points and the back page was Russel Johnson apologising for their lack of effort and promising it wouldn't happen again.
I miss the club I grew up with, even when they got hammered

Yep, and it didn't happen too often

Eeek, I wasn't expecting that bad, but looking back, the season after 2007 we finished 13th. I guess it's possible if we don't recover.

That's the problem, we don't recover well from embarrassment. It took 6 years to recover from 07, probably at least 2-3 years in this instance that may still include a change of coach during this time.

I remember as a kid we lost to Glenelg by almost 100 points and the back page was Russel Johnson apologising for their lack of effort and promising it wouldn't happen again.
I miss the club I grew up with, even when they got hammered
Thing was when something like that happened you knew the players would respond quickly and turn things around fast. These guys today haven’t got the guts to take any responsibility for last nights shyt show.
I’m sorry to say pal the old Port Adelaide is gone forever.

I'm still bloody annoyed by Jonas' post match speech. I'm sorry Tom, but unequivocally, that's been Port Adelaide to a tee in big matches for as long as I can remember. We haven't often been smashed to that extent, but whenever we as fans get our hopes up, those hopes inevitably come crashing down time after time. Given this fact, why on earth would we believe the empty claim that "we'll be back bigger and better than ever in 2022"?

Last edited:
Marshall started well? He had zero possessions in the first quarter. Was nowhere to be seen. Other than your blind love for him your review is pretty good.
Yeah that’s not true.
1 touch in the first quarter - hardly your "shining light early". He had a reasonable patch toward the end of the second and then early in the third before he kicked into the man on the mark from 20 metres out

I'm still bloody annoyed by Jonas' post match speech after the game. I'm sorry Tom, but unequivocally, that's been Port Adelaide to a tee in big matches for as long as I can remember. We haven't often been smashed to that extent, but whenever we as fans get our hopes up, those hopes inevitably come crashing down time after time. Given this fact, why on earth would we believe the empty claim that "we'll be back bigger and better than ever in 2022"?
Absolutely nothing other than empty words and should be completely ashamed of themselves.
They are proven to be a bunch of mentally weak front runners who are 24(L)-6(W) against top 4 sides and have just offered up one of the greatest chokes in the clubs history.

We have absolutely no reason to believe next year will be any different with Boak, Gray, Dixon all another year older and will all be dropping off soon which doesn't do our chances any good. I expect us to play finals again, but reality is we may have missed our chance at winning a flag, 2 years straight.

Absolutely nothing other than empty words and should be completely ashamed of themselves.
They are proven to be a bunch of mentally weak front runners who are 24(L)-6(W) against top 4 sides and have just offered up one of the greatest chokes in the clubs history.

We have absolutely no reason to believe next year will be any different with Boak, Gray, Dixon all another year older and will all be dropping off soon which doesn't do our chances any good. I expect us to play finals again, but reality is we may have missed our chance at winning a flag, 2 years straight.
If you don't take your chances in finals, they quickly dry up, and you're back to being an also ran again. St. Kilda is a perfect example - they should have won in 2009 and/or 2010 but didn't, and now they're as far away from winning a flag as anyone. That'll be us very soon: at least the Saints made it to the big dance twice before dropping away.

******* BULLDOGS COACH JUST COMPLAINED ABOUT THE UMPIRES.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Well the free kicks were 22 v 16 in our favour when the AFL rules are they must always be +10 in their favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 touch in the first quarter - hardly your "shining light early". He had a reasonable patch toward the end of the second and then early in the third before he kicked into the man on the mark from 20 metres out

We didn’t get the ball remotely near the forward line in the first Qtr. The couple of times we did he competed despite the circumstances.

finished the half with 7d which was only 3 behind senior ball magnet midfielders wines and boak.

He did alright in a nightmarish night.

The only posters that don’t think he was one of our better players on the night and one of a very small group who at least get a pass mark is the crazies that will never concede that the earth is not flat.

I'm still bloody annoyed by Jonas' post match speech after the game. I'm sorry Tom, but unequivocally, that's been Port Adelaide to a tee in big matches for as long as I can remember. We haven't often been smashed to that extent, but whenever we as fans get our hopes up, those hopes inevitably come crashing down time after time. Given this fact, why on earth would we believe the empty claim that "we'll be back bigger and better than ever in 2022"?

He just rolls out cliches, it's embarrassing.

Yep. The thing is, we hope our club is better than this, but what if we are on the cusp of a 20-30 year ice age ala what Carlton and Essendon are experiencing right now or what Richmond experienced prior to their recent breakthrough? Some clubs take decades just to open up opportunities like we have the last 2 years. To so meekly let them slip without even so much as a grand final appearance is just galling.
6 top 2 finishes in the last 20 seasons.
Only 2 GFs, 1 premiership.
Its appalling.

I know to many it wouldn't matter, a loss is a loss, but I'd like to see those figures broken down in to competitive losses we could've won with a few extra or lesser minutes, and comfortably losses where the game was well over before the final siren.

We didn’t get the ball remotely near the forward line in the first Qtr. The couple of times we did he competed despite the circumstances.

finished the half with 7d which was only 3 behind senior ball magnet midfielders wines and boak.

He did alright in a nightmarish night.

The only posters that don’t think he was one of our better players on the night and one of a very small group who at least get a pass mark is the crazies that will never concede that the earth is not flat.
Reality is he had one touch on the half back flank in the first quarter playing the roaming role and was otherwise pretty much uncompetitive in the quarter. You describe this as being “a shining light early” - could be that you’re the flat earther that flatly refuses to see what is in front of his nose

I know to many it wouldn't matter, a loss is a loss, but I'd like to see those figures broken down in to competitive losses we could've won with a few extra or lesser minutes, and comfortably losses where the game was well over before the final siren.

Makes sense, Hinkley finals losses before this disaster incl a 6 pt loss to Richmond, 3 pt loss to Hawthorn, an 3 (?) pt extra time loss to West Coast, and a 2 goal loss to Geelong after leading by 3 goals at half time.

4 losses by a total of 4 goals.
But still too often not good enough ultimately.

(And we've had our close wins in there as well, Collingwood and Fremantle are two that come immediately to mind.)

“We exist to win premierships”
Close enough is never good enough.

You always wonder when and if you'll see another premiership.

The fact that we've now let two perfect opportunities in a row slip leaves me dead inside.
Yep. To be honest 15 and 16 really hurt me. Building this young core nearing their peak, with great recruiting, yet we just fell away. Then year after year of failure, till the coach gets gifted a 2nd chance and we rejig the list, for a last crack at it with our near the end stars. There was little difference statistically between 2019 and 2020, we just got more wins and we're favoured by COVID and in a dream position. So I didn't really believe, but then in 2021 we were different at times and better, and put ourselves again in an amazing position. So I started to think it was finally time maybe we will finally live up to years of promise and take our chance, but no. Instead we once again failed and blew our opportunities.

Now to be sitting here having blown the entire peak of the careers of many of our stars, knowing this group 100% can not win a flag without change, which means realistically we're on the verge of yet another mini rebuild, is just brutal.

We won't be a shot again until the current young brigade are the seniors. Jones, Bergman, Burton, Butters, Houston, Rozee, Duursma, Marshall, Georgiadies, etc.

That's a long way away though, and right now we are way too competitive and good to get the draft picks we'll need to complement those players with the talent they need to win flags.

That's why I'm most scared that we're so much further away from a flag than our results suggest.

We will finish top 8 again next year, possibly top 4, and once again it will mean absolutely zilch, if we continue to blow our chances.

Last edited:
After 2013/2014 we were dubbed the next dynasty team in the making.

After 2020/2021 to suggest with any confidence that more finals appearances await is laced with the same levels of delusion we bemoan in our coach, chairman and captain.

Sorry Cookbook, you’re usually rational.

6 top 2 finishes in the last 20 seasons.
Only 2 GFs, 1 premiership.
Its appalling.
Yeah, in our 25 AFL seasons I reckon we've a had a genuine shot at the premiership 6 or 7 times. A mentally tougher club, such as the Port of old, would have converted at least 3 or 4 of those chances into flags.

Overall, we haven't had a bad record in the AFL but those wasted opportunities have really hurt us. We could have established ourselves as one of the powerhouses of the competition but have instead forged a reputation as soft, flaky chokers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back