Most Disappointing Misses

• Total voters

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can't even be overstated how massive a game this is in the context of the season. Clubs so similar in terms of where we sit. The winner of this game is a potential top 4 threat and marks their stamp as a genuine premiership contender.

Probably the hardest game we have left this season. Won't even give a tip - just looking forward to the contest.

Canoogs

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Not Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gonna be a great clash. Against Collingwood, Melbourne struggled against a team stronger inside who were able to dominate clearances, and then were able to apply high levels of pressure when Melbourne did get outside. Our improvement in contested possessions is going to be tested on Friday.

Really pumped for this week. Just hope that it's the good Power that rocks up.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We let the Bulldogs, who are 16th for score for, kick 75 against us. Melbourne are top of the ladder for score for.

My initial take is that we will try way too hard to be defensive against Melbourne, to the point of completely stiffling our ability to kick goals. Melbourne take a 3 to 4 goal lead for most of the game, only for us to snap under the pressure of not scoring, and Melbourne to kick 4 junk time goals against us to seal the game.

On a more optimistic note, we are still 3rd in the league for least average score conceded against top 8 sides at 76.8 points per game, narrowly behind Sydney (74.8) and Geelong (73.1), while Melbourne are 12th at 104.5 points per game.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We let the Bulldogs, who are 16th for score for, kick 75 against us. Melbourne are top of the ladder for score for.

My initial take is that we will try way too hard to be defensive against Melbourne, to the point of completely stiffling our ability to kick goals. Melbourne take a 3 to 4 goal lead for most of the game, only for us to snap under the pressure of not scoring, and Melbourne to kick 4 junk time goals against us to seal the game.

On a more optimistic note, we are still 3rd in the league for least average score conceded against top 8 sides at 76.8 points per game, narrowly behind Sydney (74.8) and Geelong (73.1), while Melbourne are 12th at 104.5 points per game.
So we SHOULD be looking to get early goals, so as to make them have to focus more on defense, easing the pressure on ours. Who wants to Tonya Harding Bassett on the way to the coaches box Friday night?

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Really looking forward to this one. Friday night on the big stage with two in form sides. This game would have scared me 5 weeks ago but our new more contested game should hold us in good stead. Should be an absolute belter. I can't pick it with any confidence but am hoping we are on the right side of a 1-2 goal margin.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Don't know if posted elsewhere...

AFL 2018: Jack Watts unlikely to play in Port Adelaide v Melbourne game

THE major headline of Friday night’s crunch clash between Port Adelaide and Melbourne is set to be absent, with big-name Port recruit Jack Watts highly unlikely to face his old side.

Watts, who last year was traded from the Demons to Port with two seasons left on a Melbourne contract, was dropped from the Power’s Round 13 side after patchy form.

The 27-year-old, instead, represented Port’s SANFL side on the weekend and produced a classy performance, booting 3.2 from 17 disposals and eight marks.

However Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley strongly suggested to Fox Footy’s On The Couch that Watts wouldn’t return to face the club that infamously let him go last year.

Asked if Watts would play on Friday night, Hinkley said: “We haven’t had selection yet, but we played pretty well last week. I’d imagine we’d be pretty close to (the) same (side).”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/d3e83844412cc88f4901b7f06c2ce944

Don't know if posted elsewhere...

AFL 2018: Jack Watts unlikely to play in Port Adelaide v Melbourne game

THE major headline of Friday night’s crunch clash between Port Adelaide and Melbourne is set to be absent, with big-name Port recruit Jack Watts highly unlikely to face his old side.

Watts, who last year was traded from the Demons to Port with two seasons left on a Melbourne contract, was dropped from the Power’s Round 13 side after patchy form.

The 27-year-old, instead, represented Port’s SANFL side on the weekend and produced a classy performance, booting 3.2 from 17 disposals and eight marks.

However Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley strongly suggested to Fox Footy’s On The Couch that Watts wouldn’t return to face the club that infamously let him go last year.

Asked if Watts would play on Friday night, Hinkley said: “We haven’t had selection yet, but we played pretty well last week. I’d imagine we’d be pretty close to (the) same (side).”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/d3e83844412cc88f4901b7f06c2ce944

We'll just have to trot old Wattsy out to kick the winning goal after the siren of a final against Melbourne instead.

MilitaryLC

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2018
On a dirt track.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Win this and I'm back to 2014 confidence. Lose and meh. Making the numbers in the 8 again. We have to stamp our authority at home more than ever in this game. * the showdowns. This is a biggy. This Melbourne team will come to play.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Melbourne are the most prolific attacking team in the league this year but have the highest score against in the top 10.

They do their best to get into a shootout where they back in the midfield to win the ball and their gun forwards to fire. They certainly aren't a defence first team.

They've also beaten nobody. Their only win against top 8 opposition was against North (who sit 8th) back in round 3. Their hot streak was against the worst sides in the league. We'd be by far their biggest scalp.

They struggle against sides who can defend competently. If we don't win it's because we played like s**t. They can't dominate us in the middle and they can't waltz through our defence like it isn't there like they did against St Kilda or Carlton.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
We will still need to score though. We can't have a second half like the Richmond game because they will love us to sit back and invite them to attack.

I think we can beat them on the counter attack, but to do that we must remember the key to a good counter attack is to not have an empty 50.

Sent from mTalk

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Damn Ken's stubborn nature with not changing a winning side irks me at times especially coming off a win against garbage like the Bullies.. we lose by two or three goals Watts could've been the difference.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
How on earth do you win the ball first from the contest with defensive pressure? Isn't winning the ball first, ie, before the other team gets hands to it, attacking?

Sent from mTalk
See Essendon game V Port last year, see St Kilda game V us last year.

Some teams set up on the outside and basically just tag, they force fumbles and turnovers, and when it spills to the outside the opposition is already there and runs away with it. Much easier to spread when you have it on the outside and your team mates all already hold that outside position.

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ive been travelling Europe since the day of the Eagles game, im in Riomaggiore as we speak, have only really seen the Showdown 1st half and the Hawks game live. I'm starting to feel like im a bad luck charm. Bad news is though, that i dont care where i am (though i expect to be in Poland paying my respects in Auschwitz), but im going to find a way to watch this weekends game. For mine it is basically the defining point of our season. So heres to hoping i aint the bad luck charm, and that i can find some Wi-Fi, otherwise im going to have to pay another $20 for a phone data recharge, and i seem to be doing that for everygame so i can watch the replay at the moment.
Cinque Terre. Wonderful part of the world.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
How on earth do you win the ball first from the contest with defensive pressure? Isn't winning the ball first, ie, before the other team gets hands to it, attacking?

Sent from mTalk
No. It is possible both to defend with possession (chipchipping) and to attack without the ball (forward pressure).

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Damn Ken's stubborn nature with not changing a winning side irks me at times especially coming off a win against garbage like the Bullies.. we lose by two or three goals Watts could've been the difference.
Get your hand off it m8. We literally made three changes - two of them unforced - after a good win over Richmond two weeks ago, with what many agreed were changes that suited the conditions the Dogs match was going to be played in.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Get your hand off it m8. We literally made three changes - two of them unforced - after a good win over Richmond two weeks ago, with what many agreed were changes that suited the conditions the Dogs match was going to be played in.
Give us a spell sock thruster it's a common theme throughout his tenure I don't give a **** about the odd against the grain selection.

Back