Game Day Port vs Roos - JLT #2

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't say I was that unhappy with the result. 21 points to a fairly strong Port side at Alberton is tolerable. Most of the players showed something, and the two appalling downfield free kick goals actually flattered the result.

Still, you can't take this stuff too seriously, as both sides left plenty in reserve.

My major concern from a North perspective was tactics:

1) The way Ports "sit off" North players by 5 metres to rope in a pressured handball tactic continued to suck us in to exactly doing just that, resulting in turnovers.
2) Our inability to break down Port's constant chip, chip, chip kick and mark set up coming out of defence.

Basically the two things that decided the result in our match last season.

I was very happy with our clearance and run & gun output, considering our side. The clearance stuff in particular considering Campbell was completely dominated by Ryder & Lycett. I don't think our two sides will finish that far apart this season.

TBH I think North Kangaroos have two major concerns from that game

1) Paying Polec 950 a season for 7 years means they won't get a gun at the end of the season and will miss out on joshua kelly
2) They were playing basically a full strength side, whilst we were lacking Wines (our best mid/co-captain), Dixon (our best forward) and Hartlett (our vice captain.

from an oppos perspective, it was concerning to see them play like that against a rebuilding port adelaide

I can't say I was that unhappy with the result. 21 points to a fairly strong Port side at Alberton is tolerable. Most of the players showed something, and the two appalling downfield free kick goals actually flattered the result.

Still, you can't take this stuff too seriously, as both sides left plenty in reserve.

1) The way Ports "sit off" North players by 5 metres to rope in a pressured handball tactic continued to suck us in to exactly doing just that, resulting in turnovers.
2) Our inability to break down Port's constant chip, chip, chip kick and mark set up coming out of defence.

I was very happy with our clearance and run & gun output, considering our side. The clearance stuff in particular considering Campbell was completely dominated by Ryder & Lycett. I don't think our two sides will finish that far apart this season.
Yes you could be right.
Both teams seemed to do ok in trading and drafting for needs in the off season.
Obviously Polly looks like he will be an asset to you if his foott stays right.
And I will miss Pittard in some strange way. He really is a nice fella and I wish him well, weird haircut and all.
Port has brought in 22 new players over the last 2 years..that is a massive turnover of a list so it could take us a while to gel and mature plus adapt to a different gameplan, but I am feeling a little more hopeful of our future than I was at the end of last season.
All the best. North is one of the teams I least hate in the comp.

Don't disagree but they're in their best 22 and probably better than who they replace...just helps to not be ignorant of other teams to properly gauge how your own team is going...

1) is related to 2)

Once a turnover occurs, having players that are sitting 5 meters off the outlets means that it only requires one 5 meter handball before a chip kick will allow a mark. It spreads the field rapidly and allows defence to become attack. But if you saw vision of the entire ground you'd see that our defensive setup down the line would be in a zone.

You scored 43 of your 102 points from centre clearance, 42 of which was in the first quarter. It would be interesting to see who we had in the middle during that period. I know that we stopped the rot the moment that Robbie Gray went into the centre with Sam Powell-Pepper. In the real stuff, Gray would have gone in there much earlier.

Your centre clearance run reminded me of when you smoked a high flying Adelaide in 2017. 6-6-6 means that if you get on top in the middle and ride the momentum you can really exploit a side with a midfield that isn't as strong. But it also means that it's not that difficult to peg back a 30 point deficit in one quarter. Sides are going to have to be on their game all the way up until the final siren.

Agree, see you in the grand final

Yeah, you guys really got shafted by the umps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umps handed you guys what, 4 goals. Don’t go talking about how they flattered the result. Take two goals off the if you like ,then add 4.
lol ... I think you missed the point!!

He is saying the two frees they got flattered the result their way, giving them a flattering score .. IE: He is acknowledging we should have beaten them by more!!!!

lol ... I think you missed the point!!

He is saying the two frees they got flattered the result their way, giving them a flattering score .. IE: He is acknowledging we should have beaten them by more!!!!
That's my understanding as well.

Outside of that period where we stopped not much to be concerned about.

Losing centre clearances (and general clearances) is a worry as they where without Goldstein.

And Cunnington and Anderson. Still Wines makes a difference for us. What I like about our centre clearance work is that it looks pretty clean this year. We have had quite a few clearances which have resulted in a midfielder running with clear space ahead of him toward 50. The concern I do have is that on many occasions when that has been SPP or R Gray, the kick inside 50 has left a bit to be desired. There should be no excuse for midfielders of their quality not lowering their eyes to find a forward when they have so much space and time to execute their kick, or if they do want to go long then make sure they strike the ball cleanly. Powell-Pepper has looked to over-kick the ball on many of his clearances and hasn't yet been able to reach the goals.

In contrast, Rockliff is one player who seems to be bringing the ball into our forward 50 pretty smartly when he wins the clearance.

1) is related to 2)

Once a turnover occurs, having players that are sitting 5 meters off the outlets means that it only requires one 5 meter handball before a chip kick will allow a mark. It spreads the field rapidly and allows defence to become attack. But if you saw vision of the entire ground you'd see that our defensive setup down the line would be in a zone.

You scored 43 of your 102 points from centre clearance, 42 of which was in the first quarter. It would be interesting to see who we had in the middle during that period. I know that we stopped the rot the moment that Robbie Gray went into the centre with Sam Powell-Pepper. In the real stuff, Gray would have gone in there much earlier.

Your centre clearance run reminded me of when you smoked a high flying Adelaide in 2017. 6-6-6 means that if you get on top in the middle and ride the momentum you can really exploit a side with a midfield that isn't as strong. But it also means that it's not that difficult to peg back a 30 point deficit in one quarter. Sides are going to have to be on their game all the way up until the final siren.

It looked to me like Ryder and Motlop were the main additions to the centre square just as the Kangaroos started getting their run-on in the first quarter.

Our defence also tightened up through the middle two quarters and coped better with repelling their clearances without conceding a score each time.

On a less s**t-talking/spewing rubbish note, didn't we have 3 less on the bench as well?

On a less s**t-talking/spewing rubbish note, didn't we have 3 less on the bench as well?

Correct. We played 23 and they played 26. Amon was also only injected into the play when Lienert went off.

They lost Williams around the same time we lost Lienert.

o_O So I must have imagined Weshoff giving away a 50m free, then running into Campbell and giving him a second 50m free!

Silly me!
They weren't downfield free kicks, they were 50m penalties. The North guy was insinuating that the scoreline flattered us a bit due to soft downfield frees like the one paid to Westhoff in the forward pocket with about 5 mins to go in the last quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back