News Port vs St Kilda in Shanghai 2019-2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Tredders reporting the AFL will tomorrow confirm St Kilda as Port's opponent in China for the next 3 years.

The game will be played in later in the year so the bye is not so early in our season.

Tredders reporting the AFL will tomorrow confirm St Kilda as Port's opponent in China for the next 3 years.

The game will be played in later in the year so the bye is not so early in our season.

Care factor zero. I've tried to remain positive about China among the rest of the s**t but I mean Christ. On face value they've ****ed this too and it's looking like more overhead than productive. It's a long game but we can't tolerate no returns over the next 12 months. Crunch time.

Wasn't there concern that a game later in the season would mean playing in summer? Does this mean it'll be an evening game?

No mention of an evening game. Just moving the game closer or into June so we are at the back end of the bye rounds not right at the beginning. Then our run home is not so long.

Care factor zero. I've tried to remain positive about China among the rest of the s**t but I mean Christ. On face value they've ****** this too and it's looking like more overhead than productive. It's a long game but we can't tolerate no returns over the next 12 months. Crunch time.
Yep.
Time to cash in big time.

I hope Kochie doesn't complain about the red panel in the Saints guernsey. :D
If he's going to make himself look stupid again and die on a hill for something how about he does it for the Prison Bars and not for the colour red on some other teams jumper.

They will be wearing their Pura Light Start (tm) yellow guernsey. It's in the contract.

Yellow peril! :eek: It was the 60s, man. You had to be there. ;)

I posted this a few months back...

The China excursion is not the problem it is more the timing. Is there any reason, other than the AFL's boorish attitude, that the game could not be played a few weeks later? Not sure about the humidity but the average temperatures in Shanghai in June are 21-28 celsius which is not much different to early season Brisbane or Adelaide in March for that matter. It will be interesting to see if the China game gets shifted if we play a Melbourne based club in China next year.

I think the Club should be looking to get the China game moved back by at least two weeks. That would allow us the bye in week 11.

Looks like commonsense prevails once a Melbourne club is involved.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-10-25/shanghai-2019-game-announced
"In a further boost to the game, the Victorian State Government today announced a partnership with the AFL that will ensure St Kilda are Port Adelaide’s opponents in China for at least the next three years."
620x370hero.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol i bet this is one of the mythical "12 off-season wins" KT was on about.

With the Watts text, losing Polec, Wingard and the SPP text. We're about -4.

Care factor zero. I've tried to remain positive about China among the rest of the s**t but I mean Christ. On face value they've ****** this too and it's looking like more overhead than productive. It's a long game but we can't tolerate no returns over the next 12 months. Crunch time.

I know I'll get ripped from pillar to post from some users here but I agree with this - I'm all for the intangibles of this and appreciate the endeavour but when push came to shove and we needed a 2nd sponsor last year this big venture netted is nothing. Now we've got the Victorian club that was apparently so important to making this a big deal and it's still a Sunday Foxtel game and will probably receive the barre minimum of media attention again. It's time to start getting some actual cash from this.

Losing Polec and Wingard were wins though right?

Cool. I hope we start seeing some return.

I went to the game in Shanghai last year and it lacked atmosphere. Hardly any GC supporters apart from the corporates. Having St Kilda involved will at least help that part of the experience. The China initiative has come a long way since the first game was played, and now the club has a chance to push ahead strongly with 3 more years locked in. Who knows where we'll be in three years time. A raging success or time to pull the plug.

It’ll be pretty disappointing if one of these “wins” isn’t a rolled gold 2nd major sponsor (or Oak doubling down, with dollars this time). Inb4 Trent McKenzie kicks a torp over three Ghan locos lined up end to end *toot toot* OH MY GOD!

Having this locked in for 3 years is a great outcome. This should provide the certainty around the annual game we need to move forward with other aspects of the China strategy.

Also means it can't be subbed for an AFLX carnival in the short term!

And it means I can plan another holiday to China to smash more dumplings, which was pretty much the only highlight of 2018 for me as a port supporter!

I went to the game in Shanghai last year and it lacked atmosphere. Hardly any GC supporters apart from the corporates. Having St Kilda involved will at least help that part of the experience. The China initiative has come a long way since the first game was played, and now the club has a chance to push ahead strongly with 3 more years locked in. Who knows where we'll be in three years time. A raging success or time to pull the plug.

We nearly tricked their wine waiter to bring some product up to us in the stands though :D

As you mentioned with the Vic government's $multi-billion infrastructure spend over the past few years - and more to come - this is a marketplace they might be looking to make a big splash in, so will dump some money into it.

Vic Government be all

acb.jpg

Can we be a little bit positive about one thing at least? You already got wingard fired...

We nearly tricked their wine waiter to bring some product up to us in the stands though :D

As you mentioned with the Vic government's $multi-billion infrastructure spend over the past few years - and more to come - this is a marketplace they might be looking to make a big splash in, so will dump some money into it.

Vic Government be all

acb.jpg
We did get close to nabbing some alcohol from the waiter. The corporates wouldn't have missed it. I'm sure the fridges were well stocked.

The Vic government even handed over money last year. They know how to spot a good opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back