PortFanRadio

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
I saved it in the wrong location in my haste to get the show up and running!

Sorry
Imagine the look on those people's faces when they tune in for all the goss on Jessika-With-a-K only to hear Schofield pronounced "Show-Field"

I googled MAFS and was even more confused.

Out- Port Adelaide podcast
In- Derivative reality TV chat

Would have been an offseason move approaching McLeod for Chris Groom levels

Thanks for starting up with another year guys, and good to see a few of the other regular shows (Alberton Front Bar, Portress etc) and some new ones up and going.

I’ve been busy last week and a half and I don’t have time to hustle guests.

If someone will come on Monday I should be able to do Monday.

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Appreciate the feedback on the podcast (good and bad), a work in progress but something we've enjoyed doing and hopefully those who have tuned in have enjoyed it as well. Feel free to give us any feedback and Tom and Dave will be on Port Fan Radio from 7pm tonight reviewing the win over North Melbourne. CTP.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
L
Appreciate the feedback on the podcast (good and bad), a work in progress but something we've enjoyed doing and hopefully those who have tuned in have enjoyed it as well. Feel free to give us any feedback and Tom and Dave will be on Port Fan Radio from 7pm tonight reviewing the win over North Melbourne. CTP.
Looking forward to it. I enjoy your podcasts.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tom and Dave hit the airwaves tonight to look at the Friday night Round 7 loss to Collingwood.

Dave's review :

Reality check in round 7. Reality check in round 7.

With 30 minutes of football widely regarded as some of the most devastating seen in 2019 Collingwood brushed Port Adelaide aside with 13 shots to 3 and 7 goals to none. The result gave two clubs something to think about. Collingwood fans can think about what might be in 2019. Port Adelaide fans can think about what might be in 2022.

Collingwood started the night with 3 players with under 50 games experience ( Stephenson, Mihocek and Brown ), Port Adelaide, on the other hand, had 11 players with under 50 games experience. And didn’t it show.

The stronger bodies of the Collingwood midfield broke through some less than acceptable (inept at times) tackle pressure from the Port Adelaide midfield in the first quarter with the half back line giving them the freedom to move the ball forward to an open forward line where the pace of Stephenson and Elliott and mobility of De Goey and Reid blew the young Port back line to pieces.

When any back line and midfield has the time, space and lack of pressure that Collingwood did in the first 30 minutes no back line can defend against that. In this morning’s match review at Alberton Oval the back 6 should get written apologies from the midfield.

What I didn’t like –

The effort in the first quarter (full stop). Several efforts throughout the game also stood out as less than acceptable.

Bonner had the opportunity to put his head over the ball and create a contest at half back, he chose to go with a toe poke and would not like seeing that again. More disappointing was several “chases” he offered during the night where it was clear he wasn’t going at 100%. When you’re getting pumped there’s some things you can still do, chasing and showing intent when doing so is one. He didn’t. It may cost him his spot on the back of a couple of average performances.

The disposal of our captain, Wines, and his desire to handball instead of kick. In the third quarter he’s created a contest, taken the ball away from the contest, moved inside 50 with time and space and took the long handball option instead of kicking at goal. In the last quarter he fired a handball to Langdon (who doesn’t play for Port), another to nobody and another to 10m from nobody. Not good enough, he knew it.

I’ll accept that kids with under 10 games to their name are going to be in and out of contests, even when they’re “on” they’re still going to have moments in games where they are off the boil, but very few can walk away from Friday night feeling they gave a 4 quarter effort. Very few. I could go on.

What I liked –

After a couple of quiet weeks moving back into the midfield and looking a little lost Justin Westhoff had his best game for a month. He looked the only threat going forward, marked the ball better than he has since round 1 (8, 2 contested) and bar some poor finishing (again) could have had 3 or 4 majors.

It was some of our less experienced players who got us going in the second quarter. Powell-Pepper applied some pressure across the midfield and half forward resulting in 2 of the 5 goals for the quarter as well as kicking one himself and Duursma got some run and carry going from the work Howard and Burton produced in the back half.

In his 250th Travis Boak kept his wonderful run of form going, 32 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal. He hasn’t had a bad game this year, in fact he hasn’t had an average one.

Under sustained pressure Howard willed himself to contests, did his best to thwart any aerial attacks from Collingwood and did what Port fans want him to do, took on the ball in the air to mark it and not just spoil.

Dave’s best – Westhoff, Howard, Boak, Burton, Houston

Changes –

Out – Bonner, Amon
In – Trengove, Motlop

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Same same, but different. Another week of missed opportunities ending in a disappointing result. This one hurts more, I think we all know why.

We lost our shape forward of the ball Saturday night, all too often we moved the ball from defence only to see Adelaide with one or more defenders free to make 2-on-1 contests or mark the ball uncontested. Adelaide’s key backs took 11 marks between them, our key forwards 5. The forwards were up the ground looking for the ball, a sign for me that they were chasing touches and not playing to our structure. As in years gone by this creates congestion at half forward when the ball comes back our way, the forwards look for space wide and our entries come from wide out on the wing in positions that make goal scoring difficult and intercept marking easier. These wide entries allowed Adelaide to either switch the play with space at the back or chip their way through the midfield with their mids racking up uncontested touches, mostly handball chains to move the ball forward.

If not for some midfield pressure applied by Powell-Pepper ( 10 tackles ) we may have seen Adelaide’s midfield create more scoring opportunities. SPP seems to have built a tank that is helping him run out games, he’s setting the standard for defensive pressure and two weeks in a row he’s led the way with that inside heat. First off, defensively, Howard took some marks, spoiled and kept the Adelaide key forwards out of the contest, when he moved forward late we saw the craft he worked on early in his career come to the fore, will we see him forward this week? With Wines sidelined Rockliff racked up another 40+ (4 centre clearances in the last quarter resulted in 3 goals), Boaky was held early but fought back later in the game and Lienert showed his willingness to attack from the back half. DBJ, much maligned by our fan base, kept Betts out of the game so much that he was rarely sighted.

I don’t want to talk about that game anymore.

Dave's best – SPP, Howard, Lienert, Rockliff, DBJ.

Something has got to give, in our 4 losses this year we’ve won key indicators that suggest the match has been played on our terms. We’ve won clearances and I50’s ( bar the Collingwood game where we lost I50’s ) in all those losses. There’s plenty going right, especially defensively, but there’s plenty going wrong when moving the ball forward and, at least from a fans perspective, enough is enough. Change must take place, structurally or personnel?

In the last fortnight we’ve looked almost inept in attack. Putting Westhoff’s 8 mark effort against Collingwood aside we’ve barely had an aerial target offer a presence in the attacking half of the ground.

In the last 2 weeks :
Marshall 17 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal, no goal assists.
Ryder 23 touches, 3 marks (none on the weekend after none against North), 1 goal, no goal assists.
Lycett 24 touches, 2 marks, 2 goals, no goal assists.
Westhoff 41 touches, 10 marks, 1 goal, 3 goal assists (all in the Collingwood game).

In the last two weeks our four pieces of tall timber forward of the ball have combined for 21 marks (8 in one game from Westhoff), 5 goals and 3 goal assists, no wonder we can’t put a winning score on the board. 68 and 69 points in the last two weeks shows our forwards ability to give our mids reward for effort isn’t there. We need to change.

Meanwhile at SANFL level in the previous fortnight Billy Frampton has had 30 disposals, taken 15 marks and kicked 9 goals before having the weekend on the couch with the SANFL playing the WAFL in Perth. You see what I’m driving at here? Change.

Westhoff, he’s always been an option in attack, not a target. Marshall, whilst he’s got a future ahead of him isn’t doing enough to hold his spot. Ryder, if he’s not fit then he needs a rest. Frampton has made a case for selection, be it as a fwd/ruck or ruck/fwd and needs to be given an opportunity. Whether it be for Marshall or Ryder he must come in this week.

With Jonas and Ebert already ruled out of a return against the Gold Coast it seems changes will be fewer than expected. The Magpies had the weekend off so Butters should come back in after a rest and I really want to see Frampton given an opportunity. My concern is he won’t as the coaches see him as a fwd/ruck not key forward.

My changes :

Out – Johnson, Marshall ( Farrell )
In – Butters, Frampton ( R.Gray )

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tom and Dave review the win over Gold Coast from 6:30 tonight and from 7:30 they'll be joined by Andrew Hunter, General Manager - China Engagement, to discuss all things Shanghai / PAFC.

Do you have any questions for Andrew?

Back