PortFanRadio

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tom and Dave review the win over Gold Coast from 6:30 tonight and from 7:30 they'll be joined by Andrew Hunter, General Manager - China Engagement, to discuss all things Shanghai / PAFC.

Do you have any questions for Andrew?
For Andrew we hear about various partnerships, deals, etc., but supporter scepticism is in part due to no concrete, easy to find dollar value that the club has made due to China it otherwise wouldn't have. Not those helping pay for the game there, but a separate sponsor amount you (or anyone at the club) could point to in Black and White and say these $X dollars of sponsorship are directly due to China.

Until we start seeing those figures all the nebulous 'It'll pay off, it's/it'll be profitable' won't be trusted. It's not Andrew's fault, but there's a massive trust deficit between the club and fans at the moment across all areas, and 'hand waving and vague promises' won't cut through that, only concrete indisputable facts will.

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For Andrew we hear about various partnerships, deals, etc., but supporter scepticism is in part due to no concrete, easy to find dollar value that the club has made due to China it otherwise wouldn't have. Not those helping pay for the game there, but a separate sponsor amount you (or anyone at the club) could point to in Black and White and say these $X dollars of sponsorship are directly due to China.

Until we start seeing those figures all the nebulous 'It'll pay off, it's/it'll be profitable' won't be trusted. It's not Andrew's fault, but there's a massive trust deficit between the club and fans at the moment across all areas, and 'hand waving and vague promises' won't cut through that, only concrete indisputable facts will.
Good question we'll put to Andrew.

Unfortunately our Skype connection wasn't the best but it's "listenable", Andrew gave some amazing insights into our China Strategy.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/portfanradio/corn-the-pear-w-andrew-hunter_1
Thanks for confirming the audio issues CTP. I thought it may have just been my phone.

A very good interview. Most expansive I have heard AH on the topic ie talk about the commercial side. Lockhart Road have a listen. I was surprised how expansive AH was on the commercial side of the strategy / work.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming the audio issues CTP. I thought it may have just been my phone.

A very good interview. Most expansive I have heard AH on the topic ie talk about the commercial side. Lockhart Road have a listen. I was surprised how expansive AH was on the commercial side of the strategy / work.
Could not hear it properly. At the end AH tacitly contradicts Koch by refusing to describe PAFC as any sort of li’l ole blue-collar footy club from Alberton, so I guess he’s out the door. Although, now that Penny Wong isn’t the next Foreign Minister, perhaps not.

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Thanks REH, apologies for the sound quality, we're hoping to have a chat with AH in the not too distant future to cover off some of last weeks interview and delve further into the China Strategy, this time with recording equipment more befitting the content.

Thanks for listening in.

Thanks REH, apologies for the sound quality, we're hoping to have a chat with AH in the not too distant future to cover off some of last weeks interview and delve further into the China Strategy, this time with recording equipment more befitting the content.

Thanks for listening in.
I’d be very happy to assist you with some legit topics, even direct questions, for Andrew Hunter, a few of the less usual type. Having worked closely with him, I’m interested to learn how he’s come on, and just how much of a watershed / turning point Shanghai 2019 proves to be for the Club, and all those connected to the Club including BigFooty subscribers and lurkers.

blaargh

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Macca19 Butters Made Me Do It would there be any chance that we could have a mid-season review from you both as a podcast?

I’ve really missed your insight, and opinions this year - and just don’t have the time to read bigfooty enough to keep up with what exactly is going on.

I mean, what else would you both do with the bye round...

Macca19 Butters Made Me Do It would there be any chance that we could have a mid-season review from you both as a podcast?

I’ve really missed your insight, and opinions this year - and just don’t have the time to read bigfooty enough to keep up with what exactly is going on.

possibly. I'll see what we can do!

What am I chopped liver? 😂

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You ever started a road trip and had a flat tyre in the first hour? That’s what Saturday felt like.

Port have won just 3 of the 10 first quarters this year ( Richmond, West Coast and North ) and slow starts have not just put us behind the 8 ball but have ultimately cost us 4 points, especially against Brisbane and on the weekend against Hawthorn. Is it mindset? Is it the preparation? Is it a young group not being fully prepared for AFL football week in and week out? A combination of all of that, I think.

The first quarter started with some promise, we actually had 6 F50 entries to 2 at one stage ( the quarter ended up 16-6 to Hawthorn ) but neither side had been able to score. Some of those entries were deep enough to create some opportunities but we couldn’t make the most of any of them, in fact it didn’t look like we were going to score and as it turns out for the first half hour ( 45 minutes, actually ) we didn’t. We worked and worked for no result, at the other end Hawthorn bang on 4 goals in 10 minutes and it looked like and it in fact was, game over.

Hard to think of anyone who stood up in the first quarter under the pressure the Hawks threw at us, we simply didn’t handle the pressure nor the conditions and it was galling to say the least to watch them scythe their way from one side of the ground to the other and then march forward to score with ease as we fumbled and fart arsed around for no results. Our skills under pressure simply haven’t improved in recent years, while I’m willing to give guys with under 10 games the benefit of the doubt the rest just simply need to be better.

We all know we’re missing personnel and need some troops back, but one area we’re not really short on is the centre square and with Ladhams/Ryder, Boak, SPP, Rockliff and Gray back in the side we should have been able to get first look at the ball. Going into the match ( from memory ) it was 2nd v 15th for clearances, in the first quarter it’s 12-9 Hawthorns way, and halfway through the second quarter it was 4-3 centre clearances. From Hawthorns 4 they score 2 goals 1, from our 3 we didn’t even get an I50. Smacked.

Not until Rozee ran into an open goal halfway through the second did we look like registering a major, Duursma joined him on the score sheet soon after but it still ended up our lowest first half score for the year and we made no real inroads into the Hawthorn lead. Howard was solid in the air, DBJ was solid on the ground, Boak was still working and Robbie Gray began to come into the game. Not much else to mention.

Much like the second every time we looked like we had some momentum the Hawks hit back with one, or two. Amon goaled on the run from a defensive 50 build up to bring the margin back to 18 points and for the only time in the match we had some control in the run of play. Scully and Gunston reply with 1 each and it’s déjà vu all over again. Powell-Pepper kicked truly from long range before Westhoff, Motlop and Frampton all missed challenging yet gettable goals only to see Impey bang one through at the other end. Infuriating and any chance of a late challenge was wasted in front of goal.

The last quarter was really only played out to pile on the misery, Gunston kicked his 5th in the first minute to put the game to bed. We’d got control in the clearances by now, 41-30 but kept kicking it straight to Sicily or Ceglar in the air who used Henderson on the way out. Their ability to get men loose 15-20m from the ball and then hit them up killed us. Our inability to kick it to a team mate killed us. When we did manage to kick it to a team mate their inability to mark it killed us.

We’ve seen our skill’s let us down year after year, there’s no doubt our system works as in almost every game this year we’ve had more I50’s than our opponents but our delivery I50 is either poor, to poor position or we’re outnumbered at the fall of the ball. We don’t lower our eyes when hitting the F50, we bomb away to contests where we’re outnumbered and calling it dumb football wouldn’t be a stretch.

With two games against sides level with us on the ladder the games in Shanghai and Perth either side of the bye will define our season.

Dave’s best – Byrne-Jones, R.Gray, Boak, Houston, Duursma

So, to the longest road trip of all. With Rockliff twinging a hamstring late I doubt he’s on the plane to Shanghai, I’m not sure they’ll fold Lycett up on a plane to China either given his adductor strain.

Burton has reportedly overcome his hamstring strain so should return while Atley and Drew were both solid in the SANFL, one of them likely to replace Rockliff.

Early thoughts on changes :
In – Drew, Burton
Out – Rockliff, Motlop

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d be very happy to assist you with some legit topics, even direct questions, for Andrew Hunter, a few of the less usual type. Having worked closely with him, I’m interested to learn how he’s come on, and just how much of a watershed / turning point Shanghai 2019 proves to be for the Club, and all those connected to the Club including BigFooty subscribers and lurkers.

We'll be in touch when we next chat with Andrew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dave has some views on the AFL in 2019 :

The AFL is losing me.......

In 2011, if not for the newly established Gold Coast Suns and an 8 point win at the soon to be redeveloped Adelaide Oval over fellow dismal performers Melbourne, Port Adelaide would have won our inaugural wooden spoon at AFL level. We'd lost to Collingwood by 138 points and Hawthorn the following week by 165 points just 3 weeks earlier, yet, walking out of Adelaide Oval on Fathers Day 2011 I couldn't wait for the 2012 season to start. Ultimately we'd sack our coach Matt Primus mid year after a loss to the newly created GWS Giants but football was still worth watching, despite the dire situation my club was in I was soaking up as much footy as I could every weekend. I did every week, up until about 6 weeks ago.

Somehow though I'm even more disenchanted with the AFL than I was in those desperate times and several weeks ago I found myself still enthralled in Port Adelaide matches, they're the club I love after all, but games that they aren't involved in? Meh, take it or leave it. Friday night football? Only if I haven't got something on. A couple of good sides on a quiet winters Saturday night at home? Probably fall asleep or turn it over to some bollocks on another station. Rainy Sunday afternoon on the couch? I'll hunt around for a fishing show or put some tunes in the air.

The AFL is losing me.

The umpiring is at an all time confusing low. Holding the ball interpretations, below the knees rulings, ruck infringements, free kicks to forwards for hands in the back, 50m penalties turning into 100m free goals, kick ins, 6-6-6, goal review mistake after mistake, the list of infuriating on field decisions goes on and on.

Off field the list is even longer. Head office is making political statements, the AFL logo going "rainbow" for the same sex marriage debate. I voted yes, by the way, but I was left wondering is the AFL the governing body of a sporting competition or a political chess piece? The big wigs come out every week and defend the indefensible with the most blatant of umpiring errors signed off as correct by manipulating interpretations to suit their defence. Come Monday afternoon the MRO Puppet Michael Christian rolls his fine / suspension dice before asking Steve Hocking, the man charged with the "look" of the game if he likes the fine / suspensions and if not how would he like them too look. Constant rule changes, interpretations, umpire numbers, the list goes on and on.

The AFL is losing me.

The constant media cycle of being the "news breaker" is beyond a circus. Ambulance chasers are running around in cheap suits and trench coats alluding to "breaking news" on their twitter feeds, linking to stories behind paywalls written by Neville Nobody or some prehistoric dinosaur who played in a premiership in 19-dickety-two because he's a "great" of the club. Players shield themselves from social media platforms, take time away from the game to maintain or regain their mental health or walk away from million dollar contracts such is the constant scrutiny they are under from fans and media "experts" alike.

The AFL is losing me.

The people who fund the game, the ones who put their bums on the seats are getting asked for more and more, financially, every year. Most clubs reserved seats are around $40-50 per seat per game. If you're lucky enough to go to a final with your team in it you're up for $60-70 in the first week and up to $300 in the Grand Final if you can secure one. If you're lucky enough to host a home final you don't get to sit in the seat you've sat in all year round with your football family. Why? Well, the AFL take over ticketing of the finals. Of course they do. Concession stands and bars are constantly upping prices making a pie and a beer a luxury that robs your pocket of $20 with little to no change. Beers are the best part of $10 each. It's the footy, not a nightclub.

( My two platinum tickets for Port home games are around $1000 for 11 home games. I like a beer or three and that's my choice, granted. Throw in a final at home, if we're lucky enough and a home season with a few beers and a final at home could be $2000, or more, from the family budget for the year ).

Now, the AFL is cracking down on spectator behavior. I'm all for stamping out crude language with families around, I'm dead set against racially vilifying players, but when you are getting kicked out for calling a bald headed flog a bald headed flog the AFL is entering dangerous territory. With the umpiring at an all time confusing low spectators are getting more and more frustrated, yet are being asked to make less and less fuss. Supporters can't support too hard and don't dare think about barracking outside of the barracking guidelines. Sit there, behave.

I can see it coming now, Browlow Medal weekend, 2030. The two day extravaganza acknowledges every player and umpire that has contributed to the game in 2030 with a "Participation Award" for a free Happy Meal at McDonald's. Of course, the AFL has ensured there are gluten free and vegan options available.

The AFL may have lost me before then.

In 2011, if not for the newly established Gold Coast Suns and an 8 point win at the soon to be redeveloped Adelaide Oval over fellow dismal performers Melbourne, Port Adelaide would have won our inaugural wooden spoon at AFL level. We'd lost to Collingwood by 138 points and Hawthorn the following week by 165 points just 3 weeks earlier, yet, walking out of Adelaide Oval on Fathers Day 2011 I couldn't wait for the 2012 season to start. Ultimately we'd sack our coach Matt Primus mid year after a loss to the newly created GWS Giants but football was still worth watching, despite the dire situation my club was in I was soaking up as much footy as I could every weekend. I did every week, up until about 6 weeks ago.

Somehow though I'm even more disenchanted with the AFL than I was in those desperate times and several weeks ago I found myself still enthralled in Port Adelaide matches, they're the club I love after all, but games that they aren't involved in? Meh, take it or leave it. Friday night football? Only if I haven't got something on. A couple of good sides on a quiet winters Saturday night at home? Probably fall asleep or turn it over to some bollocks on another station. Rainy Sunday afternoon on the couch? I'll hunt around for a fishing show or put some tunes in the air.

The AFL is losing me.

The umpiring is at an all time confusing low. Holding the ball interpretations, below the knees rulings, ruck infringements, free kicks to forwards for hands in the back, 50m penalties turning into 100m free goals, kick ins, 6-6-6, goal review mistake after mistake, the list of infuriating on field decisions goes on and on.

Off field the list is even longer. Head office is making political statements, the AFL logo going "rainbow" for the same sex marriage debate. I voted yes, by the way, but I was left wondering is the AFL the governing body of a sporting competition or a political chess piece? The big wigs come out every week and defend the indefensible with the most blatant of umpiring errors signed off as correct by manipulating interpretations to suit their defence. Come Monday afternoon the MRO Puppet Michael Christian rolls his fine / suspension dice before asking Steve Hocking, the man charged with the "look" of the game if he likes the fine / suspensions and if not how would he like them too look. Constant rule changes, interpretations, umpire numbers, the list goes on and on.

The AFL is losing me.

The constant media cycle of being the "news breaker" is beyond a circus. Ambulance chasers are running around in cheap suits and trench coats alluding to "breaking news" on their twitter feeds, linking to stories behind paywalls written by Neville Nobody or some prehistoric dinosaur who played in a premiership in 19-dickety-two because he's a "great" of the club. Players shield themselves from social media platforms, take time away from the game to maintain or regain their mental health or walk away from million dollar contracts such is the constant scrutiny they are under from fans and media "experts" alike.

The AFL is losing me.

The people who fund the game, the ones who put their bums on the seats are getting asked for more and more, financially, every year. Most clubs reserved seats are around $40-50 per seat per game. If you're lucky enough to go to a final with your team in it you're up for $60-70 in the first week and up to $300 in the Grand Final if you can secure one. If you're lucky enough to host a home final you don't get to sit in the seat you've sat in all year round with your football family. Why? Well, the AFL take over ticketing of the finals. Of course they do. Concession stands and bars are constantly upping prices making a pie and a beer a luxury that robs your pocket of $20 with little to no change. Beers are the best part of $10 each. It's the footy, not a nightclub.

( My two platinum tickets for Port home games are around $1000 for 11 home games. I like a beer or three and that's my choice, granted. Throw in a final at home, if we're lucky enough and a home season with a few beers and a final at home could be $2000, or more, from the family budget for the year ).

Now, the AFL is cracking down on spectator behavior. I'm all for stamping out crude language with families around, I'm dead set against racially vilifying players, but when you are getting kicked out for calling a bald headed flog a bald headed flog the AFL is entering dangerous territory. With the umpiring at an all time confusing low spectators are getting more and more frustrated, yet are being asked to make less and less fuss. Supporters can't support too hard and don't dare think about barracking outside of the barracking guidelines. Sit there, behave.

I can see it coming now, Browlow Medal weekend, 2030. The two day extravaganza acknowledges every player and umpire that has contributed to the game in 2030 with a "Participation Award" for a free Happy Meal at McDonald's. Of course, the AFL has ensured there are gluten free and vegan options available.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t recall being told we’d go ultra defensive when things didn’t go our way. I certainly don’t recall being told we’d load up the back half of the ground and leave a 10 game kid on his own up front to win the game. But that’s what happened in the last quarter of a “must win” game in Perth on the weekend.

In an uncharacteristic start to the game Port jumped the Dockers to have 2 goals, both to Paddy Ryder, on the board in the first 7 minutes. General play was on an even keel but in transition Port used the ball far better and faster than Fremantle and had time and space to move inside the forward half. Ryder kicked one from the square, one from 15m out, Westhoff kicked his 300th career goal with a ripper from the boundary and Farrell, with is lethal left foot, kicked truly from 45 twice to give Port an 11 point quarter time lead. Bar a snap ( some, including me, might say lucky ) from Matera Port should/could/would have been 3 important majors in front. Movement from defence to the front half through Hartlett in a super return to AFL football, along with Burton, Houston and Amon early had promise written all over it.

Momentum swung, quickly. 5 goals to two as Hogan got on his bike and left Clurey or Jonas behind him, Walters was doing as he pleased on the deepest defender ( often Jonas or DBJ ) and the midfield was struggling to temper the impact of Nat Fyfe. Fyfe and Boak went head to head for most of the game, from about midway through the second quarter and it was a pleasure to watch, well, not the purple part in this contest anyway.
In the second quarter Fremantle upped the tackle pressure, Port’s dropped off, especially in the middle where Fremantle had 4 clearances to 2 and had kicked 2 goals to nothing from those clearances. Young Fremantle ruckman Darcy was holding his own, Walters kicked 3 for the quarter and bar Boak and Burton Fremantle had us.

Swings/roundabouts. 5 goals to 4 in the third and Port have got some of that run and carry back. Boak was sensational again in the third, Lycett had the better of hitouts (5-1 early), Houston had 6 I50’s after getting on the end of some run generated by Duursma and within 10 minutes we’d laid more tackles than we did for the whole second quarter. This is better. This is the standard. On ¾ time Farrell kicks his 4th to hit the front again and its level pegging going into a very, very important last quarter.

I’d like to end my review here, if I could.

Smashed. Slaughtered. Belted. It was an awful 30 minutes that followed. As Darcy made a cooked Lycett look old and slow, Ryder looked old and slow, while forward of the ball Farrell is left one out against 3 as Port park the bus defensively going against everything we were told we’d be over summer. The midfield is getting smashed as Darcy gets first touch to a dominant midfield and the back half is under the pump. Meanwhile Howard is somewhere or other having zero touches for the quarter. Could he have gone into the ruck? Could he have gone back? Could. Should. Would. 9 touches in the forward half for the term, 3 goals 4 to nothing and our ball use was appalling. Appalling. Numbers behind the ball made it impossible to score and this scoreless quarter looked worse and hurt more than the scoreless first quarter in Tasmania. Why Lycett was left in the middle and why Jonas was left deep on Walters as we went ultra defensive has me beat. Just like the Dockers had us beat.

Dave’s best : Boak, R.Gray, Burton, Farrell, Duursma, Hartlett

2019 is rinse and repeat. Too much left to too few and too many having no impact. With Wines and Dixon looking like certainties to come in this week and Rockliff and Ebert right behind them there’s several in the AFL side who are on the outer.

My changes at this stage :

Out – Motlop, Lienert ( Or S.Gray or Butters )
In – Wines, Dixon

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t recall being told we’d go ultra defensive when things didn’t go our way. I certainly don’t recall being told we’d load up the back half of the ground and leave a 10 game kid on his own up front to win the game. But that’s what happened in the last quarter of a “must win” game in Perth on the weekend.

In an uncharacteristic start to the game Port jumped the Dockers to have 2 goals, both to Paddy Ryder, on the board in the first 7 minutes. General play was on an even keel but in transition Port used the ball far better and faster than Fremantle and had time and space to move inside the forward half. Ryder kicked one from the square, one from 15m out, Westhoff kicked his 300th career goal with a ripper from the boundary and Farrell, with is lethal left foot, kicked truly from 45 twice to give Port an 11 point quarter time lead. Bar a snap ( some, including me, might say lucky ) from Matera Port should/could/would have been 3 important majors in front. Movement from defence to the front half through Hartlett in a super return to AFL football, along with Burton, Houston and Amon early had promise written all over it.

Momentum swung, quickly. 5 goals to two as Hogan got on his bike and left Clurey or Jonas behind him, Walters was doing as he pleased on the deepest defender ( often Jonas or DBJ ) and the midfield was struggling to temper the impact of Nat Fyfe. Fyfe and Boak went head to head for most of the game, from about midway through the second quarter and it was a pleasure to watch, well, not the purple part in this contest anyway.
In the second quarter Fremantle upped the tackle pressure, Port’s dropped off, especially in the middle where Fremantle had 4 clearances to 2 and had kicked 2 goals to nothing from those clearances. Young Fremantle ruckman Darcy was holding his own, Walters kicked 3 for the quarter and bar Boak and Burton Fremantle had us.

Swings/roundabouts. 5 goals to 4 in the third and Port have got some of that run and carry back. Boak was sensational again in the third, Lycett had the better of hitouts (5-1 early), Houston had 6 I50’s after getting on the end of some run generated by Duursma and within 10 minutes we’d laid more tackles than we did for the whole second quarter. This is better. This is the standard. On ¾ time Farrell kicks his 4th to hit the front again and its level pegging going into a very, very important last quarter.

I’d like to end my review here, if I could.

Smashed. Slaughtered. Belted. It was an awful 30 minutes that followed. As Darcy made a cooked Lycett look old and slow, Ryder looked old and slow, while forward of the ball Farrell is left one out against 3 as Port park the bus defensively going against everything we were told we’d be over summer. The midfield is getting smashed as Darcy gets first touch to a dominant midfield and the back half is under the pump. Meanwhile Howard is somewhere or other having zero touches for the quarter. Could he have gone into the ruck? Could he have gone back? Could. Should. Would. 9 touches in the forward half for the term, 3 goals 4 to nothing and our ball use was appalling. Appalling. Numbers behind the ball made it impossible to score and this scoreless quarter looked worse and hurt more than the scoreless first quarter in Tasmania. Why Lycett was left in the middle and why Jonas was left deep on Walters as we went ultra defensive has me beat. Just like the Dockers had us beat.

Dave’s best : Boak, R.Gray, Burton, Farrell, Duursma, Hartlett

2019 is rinse and repeat. Too much left to too few and too many having no impact. With Wines and Dixon looking like certainties to come in this week and Rockliff and Ebert right behind them there’s several in the AFL side who are on the outer.

My changes at this stage :

Out – Motlop, Lienert ( Or S.Gray or Butters )
In – Wines, Dixon
Thanks for your latest podcast fellas. Must have been a tough one to get up for.
You did well.
Reflected exactly how the majority here feel.
Despondent.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The AFL is losing me.

The AFL is losing me.

The AFL is losing me.

Spot on

Corn the Pear

Debutant
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whilst the scars have healed they are still very visible and any time Port Adelaide faces Geelong those scars flare up. They itch. They burn.

The win over Melbourne in round 1 has had the gloss taken off it with their continued abysmal form, the win over West Coast in Perth was the shining light of season 2019 for Port Adelaide, that was at least until Saturday night when Port toppled the ladder leader Geelong by 11 points under lights at Adelaide Oval and didn’t we enjoy it.

From the very first bounce and opening few minutes of play there was a clear advantage to Port on show, Scott Lycett, his frame was proving too much for Geelong’s Rhys Stanley to deal with and in the middle and around the ground Lycett was making his presence felt. So too was Port Adelaide’s prime movers, Robbie Gray and Travis Boak had some important touches early and Lycett’s take from the ruck to Robbie Gray who kicked the first of the match was indicative of how Port’s clearance structures would hold sway all night. Port won the first 10 clearances of the night, Houston with two of them and if not for some inaccuracy early on Port’s 14 point ¼ time lead could have been more. Lycett was now working at both ends of the ground and his mark on the D50 arc soon transitioned from one end to the other where Rozee ran into an open goal for Port’s second of the quarter and 5 minutes later the crowd got off their bums to welcome big Charlie Dixon back to AFL football as he kicked his 200th career goal and first in 315 days. So good to see the big man back out there. He plays with such passion and aggression, he is the team mate all team mates want. He probably never knew how a football club worked until he arrived at Port Adelaide, my guess is much of that passion is born from the support he gets from the players, team mates and passionate fans. #weareportadelaide

While Geelong, as expected, steadied the ship in the second quarter to some extent Port extended the lead to 19 points at half time on the back of Boak ( 7 clearances for the half ) and goals to Wines, Burton and Farrell. The key stat to this point was Port’s full ground defensive effort had kept the Cats to just 3 goals to half time, their lowest half time score of the year.

After half time the Cats got their game going. Kelly, Miers and Fort goaled as Sam Gray’s major was Port’s only goal for the quarter. It was during the third quarter that Geelong’s Gary Rohan left the field after colliding with Karl Amon. Now, Amon isn’t really known for his body work, albeit it has improved over the last 6 weeks, but he held his ground off the ball and, for want of a better term, took Rohan out. I expect it to cost him a game, but, if this is the 2019 Karl Amon then I like this version much better than the 2018 model. 23 touches, 7 I50, 5 tackles and 6 clearances is the type of numbers many Port fans think Amon is capable of. We might just not see it next week. 9 points at ¾ time and the Cats are still right there.

Within a minute of the last quarter starting Lycett is open on the outer wing, he strolls towards 50 where he pumps the ball in deep, Dixon keeps the big bodied defender at bay and Rozee marks unattended, goes back and kicks truly. I thought we were home around this time. It may have been the beer, but everything felt good. When Blicsacavksks kicked across field to find Robbie Gray who kicked his second only a few minutes later it was out to 22 points and Port looked home. Defensively the shut down was still on. Clurey ensured the Murray mouth stayed open by giving Hawkins a bath, he need not shower after that one. This allowed Jonas to get away as the extra in contests, Garner again looked at home in the air and on the ground, Hartlett welcomed one young kitten to Adelaide Oval with a bone jarring hit and Burton again did what he had to, when he had too.

The midfield was outstanding, offensively and defensively. Boak ( 11 clearances 8 tackles ), Houston ( 5 and 6 ), Amon ( 6 and 5 ) all worked both ways. Houston has really added some balance to Port’s midfield and he’ll make it hard for Rockliff and SPP to break back into that unit after going head to head with Tim Kelly all night and having the better of that match up.

Excellent night at the football. The welcome addition of James Squire’s Chancer Golden Ale to the refreshment stand didn’t go unnoticed by this punter.

Dave’s best – Lycett, R.Gray, Clurey, Boak, Houston, Amon.

Next week the plucky Western Bulldogs who make any side earn the win over them.

Changes? One. I think Amon will get a week for his hit on Rohan, either SPP, Drew or Sutcliffe may come in to replace him.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whilst the scars have healed they are still very visible and any time Port Adelaide faces Geelong those scars flare up. They itch. They burn.

The win over Melbourne in round 1 has had the gloss taken off it with their continued abysmal form, the win over West Coast in Perth was the shining light of season 2019 for Port Adelaide, that was at least until Saturday night when Port toppled the ladder leader Geelong by 11 points under lights at Adelaide Oval and didn’t we enjoy it.

From the very first bounce and opening few minutes of play there was a clear advantage to Port on show, Scott Lycett, his frame was proving too much for Geelong’s Rhys Stanley to deal with and in the middle and around the ground Lycett was making his presence felt. So too was Port Adelaide’s prime movers, Robbie Gray and Travis Boak had some important touches early and Lycett’s take from the ruck to Robbie Gray who kicked the first of the match was indicative of how Port’s clearance structures would hold sway all night. Port won the first 10 clearances of the night, Houston with two of them and if not for some inaccuracy early on Port’s 14 point ¼ time lead could have been more. Lycett was now working at both ends of the ground and his mark on the D50 arc soon transitioned from one end to the other where Rozee ran into an open goal for Port’s second of the quarter and 5 minutes later the crowd got off their bums to welcome big Charlie Dixon back to AFL football as he kicked his 200th career goal and first in 315 days. So good to see the big man back out there. He plays with such passion and aggression, he is the team mate all team mates want. He probably never knew how a football club worked until he arrived at Port Adelaide, my guess is much of that passion is born from the support he gets from the players, team mates and passionate fans. #weareportadelaide

While Geelong, as expected, steadied the ship in the second quarter to some extent Port extended the lead to 19 points at half time on the back of Boak ( 7 clearances for the half ) and goals to Wines, Burton and Farrell. The key stat to this point was Port’s full ground defensive effort had kept the Cats to just 3 goals to half time, their lowest half time score of the year.

After half time the Cats got their game going. Kelly, Miers and Fort goaled as Sam Gray’s major was Port’s only goal for the quarter. It was during the third quarter that Geelong’s Gary Rohan left the field after colliding with Karl Amon. Now, Amon isn’t really known for his body work, albeit it has improved over the last 6 weeks, but he held his ground off the ball and, for want of a better term, took Rohan out. I expect it to cost him a game, but, if this is the 2019 Karl Amon then I like this version much better than the 2018 model. 23 touches, 7 I50, 5 tackles and 6 clearances is the type of numbers many Port fans think Amon is capable of. We might just not see it next week. 9 points at ¾ time and the Cats are still right there.

Within a minute of the last quarter starting Lycett is open on the outer wing, he strolls towards 50 where he pumps the ball in deep, Dixon keeps the big bodied defender at bay and Rozee marks unattended, goes back and kicks truly. I thought we were home around this time. It may have been the beer, but everything felt good. When Blicsacavksks kicked across field to find Robbie Gray who kicked his second only a few minutes later it was out to 22 points and Port looked home. Defensively the shut down was still on. Clurey ensured the Murray mouth stayed open by giving Hawkins a bath, he need not shower after that one. This allowed Jonas to get away as the extra in contests, Garner again looked at home in the air and on the ground, Hartlett welcomed one young kitten to Adelaide Oval with a bone jarring hit and Burton again did what he had to, when he had too.

The midfield was outstanding, offensively and defensively. Boak ( 11 clearances 8 tackles ), Houston ( 5 and 6 ), Amon ( 6 and 5 ) all worked both ways. Houston has really added some balance to Port’s midfield and he’ll make it hard for Rockliff and SPP to break back into that unit after going head to head with Tim Kelly all night and having the better of that match up.

Excellent night at the football. The welcome addition of James Squire’s Chancer Golden Ale to the refreshment stand didn’t go unnoticed by this punter.

Dave’s best – Lycett, R.Gray, Clurey, Boak, Houston, Amon.

Next week the plucky Western Bulldogs who make any side earn the win over them.

Changes? One. I think Amon will get a week for his hit on Rohan, either SPP, Drew or Sutcliffe may come in to replace him.
Drew or Sutcliffe I hope.

Life_Of_Agony

Debutant
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We hit the beers last night at Pirate Life with Paul Stewart. He was an absolute legend. Check out the chat at https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-alberton-front-bar

Check out our Facebook as well of a video of me owning him in an arm wrestle 💪

Just throwing in some appreciation for the Corn the Pear podcast, some good analysis there and like the way you bounce off each other with well thoughts out topics.

Alberton Front Bar pretty entertaining too, some good delivery and solid chat. Admittedly I only listen to either when we get a win.

Oct 12, 2003
Drowning my sorrows on the end of some bar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, Green Bay
Just throwing in some appreciation for the Corn the Pear podcast, some good analysis there and like the way you bounce off each other with well thoughts out topics.

Alberton Front Bar pretty entertaining too, some good delivery and solid chat. Admittedly I only listen to either when we get a win.
Thanks mate appreciate the feedback

Remove this Banner Ad

Back