PortFanRadio

Remove this Banner Ad

Just throwing in some appreciation for the Corn the Pear podcast, some good analysis there and like the way you bounce off each other with well thoughts out topics.

Alberton Front Bar pretty entertaining too, some good delivery and solid chat. Admittedly I only listen to either when we get a win.

Thanks *, we're back on tonight at 7pm to look at the big Showdown win! #cornthepear

Port Adelaide brought out the Jekyll on Saturday night, leaving the Hyde at home, just where he belongs……

This Port supporter (like most of us) gets a read pretty early on which side has shown up and the first two minutes of Saturday afternoon were pretty positive. Port had the first 13 disposals of the game (at 100% efficiency, no less) and the first major on the board on the back of some strong work inside by the very late inclusion Sam Powell-Pepper, Robbie Gray and Ollie Wines, 2 of those three under serious pressure and they all started well as Ryan Burton ran some over lap from the back half for the first goal of the night.

Things settled over the next 30 minutes and while Port had two more on the board through Ebert and Howard the momentum was in Adelaide’s favour. 9 scoring shots to 4 and Adelaide would be rueing some wasted opportunities. More worrying for Port Adelaide, Scott Lycett looked to have copped a medial / PCL type blow to his knee and was off undergoing some treatment.

It was Adelaide on top to start the second quarter, Matt Crouch is up to double figures and goals, Greenwood goals, Adelaide are winning the clearances 9-2 and I50 4-0 for the quarter, a steadier from Sam Gray came at just the right time for Port, one more and 3 goal lead would have Adelaide well on top. Greenwood is lighting up the Oval, he’s on top inside and out and has Adelaide’s midfield controlling the contest.

Another injury concern as Talia limps off, this leaves Keath on Dixon who makes the most of this to mark, ruffle some feathers and goal. It should be noted here Talia had Dixon’s measure most of the night but the rest of Port’s forwards were chipping in, especially with pressure on the ball carrier and that resulted in an Ebert goal just before the main break, reward for his effort and a 3 point lead to Port. 6 scoring shots to Adelaide and 4 to Port for the quarter, at this point I wasn’t super confident of what lay ahead. Lycett has returned but looks hobbled and best, cooling down at half time might not be ideal.

That didn’t change early as Walker shrugged Clurey off for one of the only times on the night to goal inside 15 seconds of the third, no sooner has the ball gone back to the middle and it’s back in Walker’s hands for a set shot from just on 50, he hits a low wobbler and misses to the right. From there Adelaide don’t score again until the 17 minute mark of the last quarter with a poster to Wayne Milera. I quite enjoyed the next 45 minutes or so.

In that time Port has absolutely smashed the Adelaide side into submission. The third quarter was a demolition, Port kick 6 goals in 20 minutes. In that time Scott Lycett gives all earthmoving machinery some hope as he wheels around O’Brien (and Brown who was spectating, perhaps in awe) to goal and cancel out Walker’s early major, Matt Crouch whipped out his card (no cash at AO, please) and purchased some candy from Sam Gray, Connor Rozee waved to the scoreboard pocket faithful (twice) as they ponder why Betts wasn’t on the field (What’s that,he was? Well I’ll be ) as Westhoff and Howard chime in and Port are 35 points for the good at ¾ time. Excellent, with a 21st to go to I know now that I can enjoy my night out thanks in no small part to Robbie Gray who has taken control in the midfield. He’s a pleasure to watch, I hope all footy fans appreciate him as much as they should.

Third quarter numbers were staggering – Port +56 possessions, +45 uncontested, +9 contested, +6 tackles, +4 clearances, +13 I50’s and 11 scoring shots to two.

The game was, at this point, put to bed, it would have been nice if Duursma, Amon and Wines had all kicked truly to start the last instead of registering minor scores but nonetheless Adelaide didn’t look like scoring. Clurey closed Walker right out of the contest bar 30 seconds to start the third quarter, Jonas had no issues keeping Jenkins out of the game, he was doing that ever so well himself, Burton made Betts look old and slow and Bonner, Byrne-Jones and Hartlett were all creating over lap and run as they set up being the ball.

Port had the first 10 I50’s of the last quarter and at the 9 minute mark had 96% of the possession in our forward half. I’ll be honest, I opened another beer about now. Icing, or, Butters on the cake as young Zac leads Laird a merry dance and 3 bounces his way into an open goal to finish the Crows off. 3 goals 6 in the last quarter to 2 behinds, the 57 point margin could have been so much more. I’m greedy, I would have liked more.

Cudos to co-captain Wines who came in under some pressure, 34 touches at 76% answered the critics, the Pig racked up 36, Powell-Pepper made the most of his late call up with 24 but really set the standard for attack on the ball early with a game high 6 tackles, Westhoff’s 23 touches, game high 16 marks and a goal an outstanding return to form, Bonner’s run and overlap from half back was crucial yet there was really no other who deserved the Showdown Medal than Robbie Gray with 35 disposals, 10 clearances and his 5th Showdown Medal.

Dave’s best – R.Gray, Clurey, Bonner, Westhoff, Ebert, DBJ, Rockliff, Wines

Missing these podcasts.. we get no news about Port in Melbourne. I guess that's probably good for the moment..

Will hopefully return next year

G'day all, Tom and Dave are back on the air tonight from 6:30 to have a quick look at the Brisbane and Richmond losses then looking forward to the GWS game ahead. Tom had a little over seas trip and some prior commitments had Dave tied up on Monday night. Thanks for the feedback, hope you can tune in tonight! We'll be back on Monday as normal.

G'day all, Tom and Dave are back on the air tonight from 6:30 to have a quick look at the Brisbane and Richmond losses then looking forward to the GWS game ahead. Tom had a little over seas trip and some prior commitments had Dave tied up on Monday night. Thanks for the feedback, hope you can tune in tonight! We'll be back on Monday as normal.
Woohoo, missed ya.

It won't be easy, it's tough to watch our season go like it is, but nonetheless Tom and Dave are on tonight from 630 to look at the loss to GWS.

With 1 solitary point separating Port Adelaide and GWS on Saturday night season 2019 officially comes to an end for Port Adelaide. Don’t believe the “1 win out the 8” chat coming from the club, this season is over with no finals on the horizon this September. With 8 wins from 18 matches and the likelihood of 12 wins being the pass mark for finals football Port Adelaide would have to beat Essendon, Sydney, North Melbourne and Fremantle to give ourselves a look at 8th spot. In our current form, on the back of 3 losses, it’s hard to see where our next win comes from let alone winning 4 on the trot. With 9 wins from our last 25 matches we’re not only undeserving of a finals berth we’re in far more distress than many of us would like to admit.

Admirably we kept the third highest scoring side in the competition to 56 points, alas, with our disjointed forward movement we were only able to muster up 55 points ourselves, from 53 I50 entries. In the last 5 weeks Port have scored 7,9,6,15 and 5 goals, the 15 against Adelaide being the exception to a side struggling to hit the scoreboard. With our forward line struggling for answers the match committee dropped Dixon after some poor form, they say. For several weeks we have bombed the ball onto Dixon’s head where opposition defensive units have been able to assemble 2 or 3 defenders on him to ensure not only is he unlikely to mark the ball but influence the fall of the ball or direct it to our smalls. The same approach was used on the weekend, this time to Robbie Gray. Are you as surprised as I am that it didn’t work?

Again a slow start cost us, GWS kicked the first 2 goals to lead by 17 points at ¼ time and we eventually lose by 1 point. Poor starts have killed us in 5 games this year. Something stinks. Players aren’t entering the field with the right mindset, they aren’t (gulp) ready to play. This says plenty about the mindset of the group for mine. At amateur level a coach probably needs to “switch on” his team, work, family, all those things cloud a players mind and before he/she knows it he/she is in a cold shed smelling of Deep Heat about to go into battle with his/her mates. He/she needs to be woken up. Professionals, I don’t think they do. They shouldn’t, anyway.

One who was ready to play early on Saturday night was Justin Westhoff, he thwarted either in the air or on the ground several GWS forward thrusts and if not for his efforts early, those of Lycett, Boak and to some extent SPP (who I thought was ok early) things could have been much worse. What couldn’t be any worse was half way through the first quarter we were going at 0% disposal efficiency in the forward 50. 0. Zero. In case you missed that, ZERO. Some of this was GWS midfield pressure, some of it was the leading pattern of the forwards, all of it was rubbish.

Gray, Gray and Rozee goaled in the second quarter and somehow, I don’t know how, we go into half time just 1 goal down. Two posters from the Giants helped, as did a welcome return to form for Tom Jonas who, by his standards, had had a fairly ordinary 3 weeks. No lone soldier there, but his second quarter was solid and he looked to have the back half set up as we like, zoned, rolling across, pushing up.

After half time Port managed to again win the territory game, but as was the story of the night the third term went the Giants way as Ports 2.3 was over run by the Giants 3.1 and the lead was extended to 10 points at ¾ time.

Now, if at this point you told me we’d keep the Giants to 1.1 for the last quarter, with the possession we had forward of the ball and just a 10 point deficit I’d have said we win an unlikely victory and keep our season alive, just. Alas, not so. We had 6 scoring shots, 5 of them from GWS turnovers, the type of turnovers that must simply result in goals. Nope. 2.4 for the last quarter and we go down by the barest or margins.

It was an odd feeling walking out the ground, hollow, empty, not shattered or angry like I was after the Brisbane loss. We had every chance to win on the night, we didn’t help ourselves from the moment match committee sat down to the moment we plundered one shot after another on goal. Simple misses that cost you games and on the weekend, it did.

Dave’s best – Boak, Westhoff, R.Gray, Rockliff, SPP, Houston

Righto Port fans, put your hand in the air if at any time on Saturday you swore and shook your head in amongst sentences such as “Where has this been?” and “Why can’t we do this every week?”. Thank you, all of you, you can put your hand back down. Is there any other club in the competition that has a ten goal win met with a wry grin and shake of the head other than Port Adelaide?

Last week I wrote our season off, whilst still on a knife edge and *gulp* in our own hands *gulp again* season 2019 on the back of 2 hours of blistering under the roof football is back on. I’m not sure I can take this and I’m not sure I can drink anymore to deal with it. Ok, I probably can. I’ll have too.

What we can put the first quarter lead down too is class. Robbie Gray, all class. His first goal, from 45m out on a worse than 45 degree angle isn’t his preferred position to kick from but in reality it was never missing. Moments later he’s dishing a handball to Sutcliffe and he must have left some polish on the ball as Sutcliffe slotted a gem from tight on the boundary and when Robbie kicked his second for the quarter from a tight angle we’re well on top. Add majors to Butters and Marshall and Port have the ascendancy on the back of 60% disposal efficiency inside F50, remember last week it was 0%?

In the second quarter Port’s big men took control, Ryder and Ladhams got right on top of Clarke and because of that dominance Port take the 16 point quarter time lead into half time. Gray gets his third in the quarter, Rozee snaps truly and Dan Houston nails one from on 50 to add some scoreboard stats to his already impressive afternoon. Speaking of impressive afternoons it’s around this point that we see Darcy Byrne-Jones take control of the half back line for Port and his one-on-one dual with McDonald-Tipungwuti is as one sided as Jared Polec.

After half time Port lift a notch and play some of the best footy we have for a month on the back of 10 of the last 11 clearances, the big men are giving the likes of Houston, Rockliff, Boak (well held until half time) and Powell-Pepper first look in the middle, Ladhams not just giving first look but often the first touch to a mid in space.

2 minutes into the third quarter and Xavier Duursma is the recipient of an errant kick from defence that goes out on the full. He never really looked inside, he went back, loaded up the banana and slotted it. There’s plenty of arrows in this kids quiver and one is now in the top deck at Marvel. Another of Port’s young guns then steps up, Rozee roves one off the pack like very few can, timing, positioning and finishes with a major, he really is class, it’s one of two for the quarter and Marshall, the much improved Amon and Sam Gray all chime in and it’s pretty much all over at 3/4 time with a 35 point lead.

I’d like to take a moment to discuss our best on the weekend here as the last quarter was another procession with Port kicking 5 goals to 1.

Houston, moved from half back into the midfield this year has been exceptional. He was our preferred distributor across half back last year in the absence of Broadbent and Hartlett, he’s moved into the middle and his decision making and ball use is elite.
Byrne-Jones, mentioned in some dispatches (not this one) as being on the edge of the selection table earlier this year (I seriously don’t know why) continued his excellent 2019, I’ll say here and now he’s in our top 5 in the BnF come season end.
Rozee, with 2 goals, 5 marks, 5 I50’s and 5 score involvements is one of the most pure talents to come into a Port Adelaide guernsey in recent memory.
Duursma, by contrast, has the ability but his star power is on the back of his work ethic, he’s an unbelievably hard worker in both directions and has every attribute to be an A grader.
Ladhams, in the AFL side on the back of SANFL form comes in and looks at home (albeit against questionable opposition) with 18 disposals (at 66%), 22 hitouts, 7 clearances and a goal assist. Marshall bags 3 majors and has a hand in two more in his first game for 10 weeks or so and looks like this is where he belongs.
Powell-Pepper, in and out of games and in and out of the side recently leaves nothing on the field, he might not be the most polished, he might not be the most skilled, but he gives everything to the cause every week while Karl Amon, much maligned in recent seasons, is putting together a body of work that should see him offered a longer term deal on money better than he probably ever imagined.

The oldest player I’ve mentioned in this group is Amon at the ripe old age of 23. We can’t think anything but the future looks bright at Alberton, but we’re about the here and now and right here, right now season 2019 has some life left in it, only thing is our destinty is *gulp* in our own hands.

Dave’s best – DBJ, Houston, R.Gray, Duursma, Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, Rozee.

Great episode guys, your analysis was superb. Agree with your thoughts entirely on the midfield balance.

If anyone is missing their hit of quality PAFC analysis recommend you give this a spin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consistency, not something we Port Adelaide fans are completely familiar with and it might take more than back to back wins to gain the trust of the supporter group but we can ask no more than backing up after the Essendon win with a 47 point win over Sydney on the weekend.

Port tried some smoke and mirrors around the selection or non-selection of Ollie Wines, I’m not sure any Port fans or Sydney for that matter were surprised by the “late change” of Wines in for Butters who, not only banged up from last weekend has looked like a kid ready for a spell on the back of a long debut AFL season. He’s slightly built but doesn’t play that way.

Sticking to our SOP Port started a little slowly, Heeney bags the first for Sydney inside the opening minute and the sound of worthless UBET first goal kicker tickets hitting the floor resonates around Adelaide Oval. Early on Sydney had the better of general play, 3 of the first 4 I50’s went to Sydney as they opened Port up from defence twice in the opening half hour going from end to end to score majors. Port wrestled back the ascendency on the back of 6 I50’s in a row and goals to Amon, co-captain Wines, Rozee and the hard working Marshall had Port in front by one straight kick at quarter time. Marshall was outstanding in the first quarter, he was solid all day, but his tackling pressure inside the forward arc created two goals, one to himself and he went on to amass 8 tackles for the game behind only Dan Houston on the ground. 6 of them inside our attacking zone, excellent pressure from the thin big man.

Sydney weren’t out of the contest by any means and they’ll rue kicking 3 points with the first 3 scoring shots of the second quarter as they wasted some decent opportunities on their way to 1.6 for the quarter. Port’s midfield was holding sway as Ryder and Ladhams dictated terms in the middle. Houston, Wines and Robbie Gray the beneficiaries of Port winning 20 centre hitout’s across the afternoon making it 16-5 for clearances from the middle. First look, get it forward and lock down the zone. Just how we like to play. A couple of showers in the quarter didn’t dampen the Port forward line and Dixon marked and kicked truly before Rozee showed his class swooping on a ground ball in the wet and slotting through Port’s third for the term right on half time.

A 5 goal to 3 third quarter followed the main break as we found our run from defence on the back of Tom Jonas’ best out for several weeks. I noted last week he’d been down a little but had bounced back, probably a sign of the way the side had bounced back in all honesty as his job in our set up is made much easier if the mids get it forward and the forwards lock it in (see Marshall above). TJ was excellent in a couple of important one on one’s on the day and he had the back line set up behind play making forward 50 entries harder and harder for the Swans. When it did come out the likes of Jonas and DBJ ( for the second week running ) in defence repelled and Ryder and Ladhams ( 4 marks each ) stopped some attacks before they became attacks. Inside 50’s were 19-8 for the quarter and Port extend the lead to 28 points. The only blemish that half hour was Sydney scored all 3 goals from chains created by a Port turnover. Rozee had 3 to this point, Marshall and Dixon 2 each. For the second week in a row the forward half is functioning.

The last quarter was a side playing for a finals spot against a side who is looking towards their Mad Monday. 3 goals to none with Wines getting his second, Dixon getting his third and much to the chagrin of some punters who had him to kick 4 goals or more a missed holding the man late in the goals square that would have netted his fourth. HOLDING THE MAN!!! Some would say lucky to be there Cam Sutliffe kicked his second for the day after the final siren to take Port over the 100 point mark and into the 8 on percentage. As it turns out they stayed there and Monday morning in the office is much nicer when we are.

Season 2019 *gulp* is still in our hands.

Dave's best – Rozee, DBJ, Houston, Wines, R.Gray, Jonas

Looking at the Port win over Sydney and some general Port chit chat.

Great episode guys, your analysis was superb. Agree with your thoughts entirely on the midfield balance.

If anyone is missing their hit of quality PAFC analysis recommend you give this a spin.

Thanks *, it's our first year doing the podcast and we've enjoyed doing it, we're glad you've enjoyed listening in. All things going well we're hopeful of having some big names from the club join us next year at various times and hope to iron out any tech issues we've had over the summer.

#cornthepear

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

In the interest of keeping this family friendly I’ll avoid using the description I had in my head at 3am this morning. I’ll run with something more usable, “I told you season 2019 was over”. ( It most certainly is, now ).

Typically I like to run through the goings-on of the fixture Port Adelaide have just completed but I simply can’t put myself through a recap of Saturday night, not without revisiting it and quite frankly on a Monday morning with only one coffee in me and a pile of paperwork on my desk, I don’t want to, either.

What I do want to discuss is the mental fragility of the Port Adelaide Football Club. It’s not just this playing group, either. From the after the siren overtime loss in 2017, to the 11-4 and miss finals win/loss of 2018 the torment has been going on for 3 years now and I can understand why many Port fans have simply had enough. 2019 hasn’t been a year worth remembering, bar the rise of some young talent.

The co-captaincy has been nothing short of a debacle. Travis Boak, without even hesitating to think about it, relinquished the captaincy at least one season too soon. He’s led Port Adelaide like a captain should in 2019. He’s been our most consistent player, he’s stood up when we needed someone to stand up, he has led from the front.

In contrast Ollie Wines (albeit I’m ok with it) had some rotten luck in the preseason, had some untimely bad luck when breaking his leg then follows up with a broken thumb. He’s never got going in 2019 and he’ll be the first to admit he’s happy this year is done, his form has mirrored his fitness and he will be keen to make amends next year. So too will Tom Jonas, rushed back when clearly not ready it then took Jonas several weeks to find the run needed to compete at AFL level, just when he got going the lack of preseason came back to bite and he’s looked off the pace for several weeks. He too will be keen to bid 2019 farewell and return for 2020 in better physical shape than he’s been at any time in 2019.

This decision in the preseason hurt the supporter base, the noise from the terraces was clear, we want one #1 wearing #1 and we don’t want co-captains. The players wanted Jonas, the club wanted Wines, the fans wanted someone to show some fortitude and just pick one. They didn’t. Now the noise is deafening and the club must rectify this matter over the summer. Do they demote 1? Do they demote 2? Who knows, but I’ll cover this conversation off another day in more detail.

What’s happened on field? Well, much the same as the past 3 years. You can bank on Port’s form going up and down as much as you can on Alan Jones saying something stupid.

Is it structural? Not defensively, when we set up behind the ball we’re hard to score against and we often create more inside 50’s than our opponents on the back of repeat entries built on our defensive zone.

Offensively, you bet your Grand Ma’s favourite slippers it is. Too often we fall down forward of the ball, outnumbered and/or out positioned. There must be change to our forward line tactics and this may mean the line coach is up for review in that department.

Is it personnel? Not when things click. The wins over West Coast, Geelong, Adelaide, Essendon…..things click, the players work as a group, we get the choccies. Most fans who follow AFL, bias aside, acknowledge how good Port’s best can be, it’s been that way for 3 years though. Good – Very good. Bad – Not fit for print.

Is it application? Most disappointing is I arrive at this conclusion after almost every loss we weren’t meant to have. What other conclusion can you arrive at, especially after Saturday night’s display? 207, yes, that’s right, 207 less disposals, 21 less clearances, 50 less contested possessions. If anyone tries to tell me the players “came to play” on Saturday night I’ll either burst their ear drums with my response or return to drinking alone in my bar looking at prints of sides I could trust.

Do the players believe in the system? They should, there’s enough evidence built up over the last 3 or 4 years to suggest when the system is followed, when players play their role and the ball is moved how we want it moved we are a damaging side capable of winning against almost any opponent. What they seemingly don’t believe is in our ability to deal with a match when things aren’t going our way, too often 10 minutes into a contest Port fans can tell if we’re on, or not. That’s application. That’s what was missing Saturday night.

Onto the dead rubber against the stand for nothing Dockers in the dead slot 4:40 Sunday. I’ll be there, it’s my last chance to see the club I still love play in season 2019 and I urge all Port fans, regardless of their current state of mind and heart to get along and support our boys.

Dave’s best – Boak, Houston, Amon (and I think two of them are only just worthy of a mention )

Any end of season reviews, trade discussions coming up? Missing the podcasts. I get the feeling all of our legendary Port Fan Radio people are licking their wounds after a poor season. Hope something is on soon.

Any end of season reviews, trade discussions coming up? Missing the podcasts. I get the feeling all of our legendary Port Fan Radio people are licking their wounds after a poor season. Hope something is on soon.

Have done several drafts with varying amounts of venom, will get it finished and up shortly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back