Portland Trail Blazers Thread

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Back to back 1 point losses vs Clippers and Nuggets, we had our chances in both games. That's 2-7 in our last 9 and 1-10 vs this seasons top 5 in the West... Grim times.

Will any off season moves me made ? Be in coaching changes ? GM changes ? Or roster core broken up ?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
$44m Dame
$30m CJ
$12m Cov, Nurk, Powell, J Jr
$5m and under the rest

How do you make the roster work?

I don't want to agree with Stephen A Smith but I think the only way to get any value in is to trade CJ. Powell has a player option and can just leave anyway.

It works from a salary POV not trade value but I would like to see CJ for Ben Simmons. Portland need an elite defensive presence more than more shooting. CJ, Dame and Embiid would be epic, but there's no possible way of getting Embiid out of Philly after this season. It would also work with Gobert or AD or Kawhi or someone in the front court who is an elite defensive presence.

I mean, I've been on the train that thinks CJ should have been traded years ago. I get the sentimentality but its never made sense to have both at the same time, especially both on max.

CJ isnt the best option as a no2 for Dame, he's probably best suited for this roster as a Lou Williams 30mpg 6th man type, but not for a max!

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
At least we stopped the Grizzlies beating us 3 times in a week, didn't expect us to win the ease we won with either. Hopefully this turns our form around going into the final 10 games of the season.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
All of the 'Dame wants out' rumours can * off for another year. Can see why he is frustrated. Strong start with CJ balling, then the usual injury crisis and Dame carrying the team to stay in the hunt, then when everyone came back the form has been a bit meh.

Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Suns, Nuggets to come.

5th or 6th would be nice but looking at the schedules of the Mavs and Lakers I think it will be 7th, or 8th if it's a disaster. Familiar position needing to engage playoff mode just to make it into the playoffs.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All of the 'Dame wants out' rumours can fu** off for another year. Can see why he is frustrated. Strong start with CJ balling, then the usual injury crisis and Dame carrying the team to stay in the hunt, then when everyone came back the form has been a bit meh.

Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Suns, Nuggets to come.

5th or 6th would be nice but looking at the schedules of the Mavs and Lakers I think it will be 7th, or 8th if it's a disaster. Familiar position needing to engage playoff mode just to make it into the playoffs.

If we beat the lakers tomorrow we move a game clear and take the season series, that could be enough to see us squeak 6th.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Trade Dame, trade CJ... the usual.

I agree that the current roster isn't good enough, but it's still better than NOLA, OKC, Magic, Rockets etc. who traded out stars for young players and picks. The TWolves have KAT, D-Lo and Edwards and are trash. The Raptors had a one year window after the Kawhi trade and won (with KD and Klay injured) but there's a 0% chance of getting Kawhi on a sign and trade.

If you could somehow trade McCollum (+ picks) for Ben Simmons, the dynamic of the roster would change with a DPOY calibre guard and less shooting. Maybe better, maybe worse. But different.

If you just trade Dame and/or CJ for the usual salary filler and future picks what is the point? The whole 'being 5th each year sucks, trade your best players for non lottery firsts' is dumb. At least when the Lakers traded for AD they had Ball and Ingram and a lottery pick to offer from the outset. It's a stars league. If you have a star going out you would value coming in.

Back