Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
There's been much discussion about portraits of the queen being removed from public buildings.

Not taking a stance here but some monarchists would find very few portraits of the queen in britain. It just doesn't happen. The only ones I ever saw were on the ships I served on

I hear they still have her portrait on postage stamps in UK and only refuse to have the Euro because Brussels refused to put her on the bank notes;)

Personaly, the fewer pictures I see the bettter. They remind me of the class society of Britain which I find repugnant. Most readers on this board will never have seen it because class is not really alive in Australia like UK. In UK the so called upper class believe that they are superior beings to the rest, and the royal family is their head.

Originally posted by Frodo
I hear they still have her portrait on postage stamps in UK and only refuse to have the Euro because Brussels refused to put her on the bank notes;)

Personaly, the fewer pictures I see the bettter. They remind me of the class society of Britain which I find repugnant. Most readers on this board will never have seen it because class is not really alive in Australia like UK. In UK the so called upper class believe that they are superior beings to the rest, and the royal family is their head.

That's very true

But I reckon it works the other way as well

The working class think they are better than teh upper class becaue they are real people and not hioty toity silver spoon losers

A sentiment with which I (who as a working class english lad in origin) heartily agree.

Well, there's an old portrait of the Queen (from 1952, the year of her coronation, and the year that the Murchison Golf Club was formed, which was a gift from our federal member of parliment) hanging in the golf club that i'm a member of.

We've been looking to turf it, but we couldn't be bothered getting rid of it, because it's on our storeroom, gathering dust.

P.S
It's truly bizarre that a golf club, such as Murchison (that plays on a 18 hole golf course that doubles as a sheep paddock, and a radio transmission station), with a very relaxed attitude in regards to protocol and dress standards, would have a portrait of the Queen in the first place, but i'ts one of those quirky things I guess.

What I'm saying is they are only now removing portraits of the queen here whereas they went long ago in britain.

And classless soceity, Melbourne ?

Tell me, which school did you goto, young man ?

sometimes portraits of the queen can be important to people for quite good reasons.

Quite a few years ago I had occasion to visit some of the islands lying between Hong Kong Island and the mainland, and these islands were regularly visited by both mainland, communist patrols, and gunboats from the british crown colony of Hong Kong.

One old gentleman, interested in nothing more than being left alone by visting troops, had a double sided portrait hanging on the wall.

On one side was the queen - showing whenever the british gunboat was tied up to the quay, and on the other Mao Zee Dong, on show whenever the communist chinese gunboat was visiting.

A very pragmatic political position!

Well I went to school at Panton Hill Primary, Eltham College and Wanganui Park Secondary College (Shepparton).

As I said earlier, we can't be stuffed taking it down and disposing of it (the Queen's portrait), it's behind a pile of tables at the moment, and quite frankly, I want it to stay that way:D .

Originally posted by Frodo

Did you? and did you believe it when you heard it?

In UK the so called upper class believe that they are superior beings to the rest, and the royal family is their head.

Also not true. Actually VERY FEW Brits consider the royal family superior. I think you will find that the UK Royal Family is more popular in certain countries outside the UK. Eh - true blue?

Most readers on this board will never have seen it because class is not really alive in Australia like UK.

Boy - you making this hard for me to resist - with comments like this.
:p

BTW Does the the Union Jack on your nation's flag remind you of the historic union of the four provinces comprising the United Kingdom under the Royal Crown? Must make you sick when it is raised at Olympics Games etc. as representative of Australian nationhood, I would have thought?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back