Remove this Banner Ad

Dunger

Drug cheat but the AFL helped me evade WADA
Nov 28, 2008
-37.822165, 144.988143
AFL Club
Richmond
The original artist calls out pafc on using her original artwork on instagram

Here's the fb post from 2019 and the alleged plagiarising artist explaining the inspiration for the art

You can get away with a wee bit of cheating on your homework for a regular assignment. Probably put that tactic away when it comes to competitions, and if a year later a massive organisation wants to give "your" work national coverage perhaps turn them down...

That girl is about to get one almighty life lesson. I feel a little sorry for her, but man she has some cojones to do so much publicity work for it while lying through her teeth. Future politician material right there.

Funny how she keeps looking down and away from the camera at the start and then she just absolutely wings it.

“The river represents a food source, the kangaroos represent….a food source, you know, because I eat them.”

port have been bent over here. realistically this could have happened to anyone, it would take an incredible amount of resources to sift through the entire art world to make sure the design you've picked hasn't been plagiarised, and you wouldn't expect a high schooler to try to pull something like this.

This is a genuinely terrible look. Port isn't entirely at fault but it kinda falls back on them.

The vetting process will need to be reviewed after this. Probably needed an indigenous art expert to review the submission before going to town on guernseys and merchandise. I hope the artist and club can come to an arrangement as both were victims of deception but the club won't be making any money out of this venture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

port have been bent over here. realistically this could have happened to anyone, it would take an incredible amount of resources to sift through the entire art world to make sure the design you've picked hasn't been plagiarised, and you wouldn't expect a high schooler to try to pull something like this.
I definitely feel bad for Port, they wouldn't have known about this and it's going to cause them a lot of trouble and a heavy financial loss (on top of the reputational one) depending on if and how the actual artist allows them to continue on.

But... this is probably why you hire or work with a genuine and known artist, that already has skin in the game, and actually commission some art from them. Bit naïve to trust schoolkids with something like this. It's one thing to give them an award for their work and some publicity, another to tie yourself to their work in this manner.

The vetting process will need to be reviewed after this. Probably needed an indigenous art expert to review the submission before going to town on guernseys and merchandise. I hope the artist and club can come to an arrangement as both were victims of deception but the club won't be making any money out of this venture.

Yep, either spend the money to re-design a new one in a short timeframe or get taken for a ride from the original artist. I feel for them.... just a little bit.

I definitely feel bad for Port, they wouldn't have known about this and it's going to cause them a lot of trouble and a heavy financial loss (on top of the reputational one) depending on if and how the actual artist allows them to continue on.

But... this is probably why you hire or work with a genuine and known artist, that already has skin in the game, and actually commission some art from them. Bit naïve to trust schoolkids with something like this. It's one thing to give them an award for their work and some publicity, another to tie yourself to their work in this manner.

To a degree, but Port has had school children design guernseys in the past for once of games. The current guernsey we now wear was designed by a 10 year old.

Are North Melbourne going to whinge like bitches to the AFL to protect their brand and prevent Port wearing this jumper?

Followed by Port wearing it during the team song.
The indigenous flag has the sun on it, will that be a problem for the Gold Coast?

there's no way they will go ahead with wearing the jumper in spite of this, i'm surprised they haven't already tried to delete all the posts from the media rollout.

News broke fairly late so club personnel may not be aware of it until recently. Need to pull post associated with the kid to protect her from social media more than anything. Too early to pull it as the club will negotiate with artist first to strike a fair deal and settle the matter. However if it is not resolved then we are likely to wear our normal strip or an previous indigenous strip design but rush through a remanufacture on short notice. It can be done either way but will be costly.

The design was from a community carnival that was cancelled last year rather than a completion. It appears as though the design was lifted for that event initially with limited vetting at that scale.

Poor outcome for everybody.

Didn't they also plagiarize their current logo too? All this club does is claim things that is not theirs!
Yep.

Was also originally claimed to just be a special once off 150 year anniversary logo -
Will this logo be permanent?

The intent is for this to be a commemorative 150th anniversary logo to be used in 2020 only.

The design was from a community carnival that was cancelled last year rather than a completion. It appears as though the design was lifted for that event initially with limited vetting at that scale.

Poor outcome for everybody.
Whether it was a formalised competition or a more generic homework assignment, either way her work was chosen to be worn on guernseys for that event (which I believe is an initiative of, or at least sponsored by, Port) but it was cancelled due to COVID and Port picked up her design this year for indigenous round. Bit of semantics that doesn't really change much IMO.

I agree about the poor outcomes. Hopefully the parties involved are able to salvage something and give it a relatively good ending, the story isn't over yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back