Rumour Ports indigenous guernsey design was plagiarised

Remove this Banner Ad

That kid isn't even from Adelaide - she's from Murray Bridge which is a small town.

Everyone is going to know that kid.

The kid f’ed up and plagiarised someone's work, and should face consequences accordingly. However I'd also like to see Port do some work to make sure the kid is supported through what's going to be a pretty shitty time.
port holds huge culpability in the girl being exposed. had they done a proper job in vetting the designs she would never have been awarded the winning design and then put into the public eye only to be vulnerable when it comes out to be plagiarised. they absolutely need to look after her.

port holds huge culpability in the girl being exposed. had they done a proper job in vetting the designs she would never have been awarded the winning design and then put into the public eye only to be vulnerable when it comes out to be plagiarised. they absolutely need to look after her.

Nah, disagree.

In the submissions there would have been something the people submitting the work had to tick/sign that says they are the legal owners/creators of the work they are submitting.

It's not realistic or possible to 'vet' art like this. I mean, the original creator only painted it for a competition and it showed at a local university/hospital. It wouldn't come up in a reverse google-images search or anything like that. Literally no way for PAFC to have 'vetted' this realistically.

Dont feel sorry for port at all. Just like any business it's their responsibility to do their due diligence and vet their designs in making sure they arent plagiarised. They dont get a free hit just because they didn't want to pay for it.
They really should drive around to every remote community to make sure, amateurs.

They didn't bother to do a Google search to check if the kid had just downloaded a photo and put it on their jumper. Like any company, they didn't want someone to spend the time (money) doing it.
Not sure google would match up 2 different photos of 2 slightly different works of art. Keep trying though.

so how did a teenage girl get it to copy/paste it directly in such high quality that it could be blown up and printed on the jumper? Are you saying that a teenage girl stupid enough to try and so blatantly plagiarise a piece of artwork has better internet skills than the entire club of port adelaide with their numerous highly paid marketing, advertising, design, legal, digital media etc professionals? The club doesnt just get to fob off all their legal responsibilities to a child in a competition. they still have a responsibility to vet the designs, even just as part of the competition process. a side issue that isnt being considered is that theres probably a whole bunch of kids who actually did their own design, who have been cheated out of a chance at winning the competition by this girl.

Port are so obsessed over protecting their own identity, symbols, copyright etc, yet they apparently dont care about making any effort to make sure they dont steal from someone else.

it's not actually a copy/paste, it's a digital re-creation of the painting design that copies all the visual elements. you can see just from looking that it's not 1:1, the river on the jumper design is wider and the kangaroos look different. she obviously made it from looking at photos the artist posted on instagram.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs should probably not crowd source guernsey designs
Nothing wrong with crowd sourcing. I'm a designer myself and if someone wishes to work with me I have a folio and references meaning due diligence is very simple. This is what Port failed to do.

Nothing wrong with crowd sourcing. I'm a designer myself and if someone wishes to work with me I have a folio and references meaning due diligence is very simple. This is what Port failed to do.

My understanding is that this competition was specifically aimed at Indigenous school kids.
Not going to be a lot of folios/references available.

The girl is 17 right, so practically an adult.

When you are 17 you are allowed to:
  • Drive most vehicles and pilot a helicopter or plane.
  • No longer be subject to a care order.
  • Become a blood donor.
  • Be interviewed by the Police without an adult present.
  • Leave your body for medical study if youdie
    • To clarify, you are not allowed to do this if you are still alive
  • Ruin indigenous round fun for everyone
She has to be held partly responsible for this and not mentioning something when Port wanted to use 'her artwork' for its guernsey - or assumedly when she signed whatever waiver or legal document to claim it as her own. Instead it looks like she panicked and hoped for the best or thought she would get away with claiming it's her work.

The girl is 17 right, so practically an adult.

When you are 17 you are allowed to:
  • Drive most vehicles and pilot a helicopter or plane.
  • No longer be subject to a care order.
  • Become a blood donor.
  • Be interviewed by the Police without an adult present.
  • Leave your body for medical study if youdie
    • To clarify, you are not allowed to do this if you are still alive
  • Ruin indigenous round fun for everyone
She has to be held partly responsible for this and not mentioning something when Port wanted to use 'her artwork' for its guernsey - or assumedly when she signed whatever waiver or legal document to claim it as her own. Instead it looks like she panicked and hoped for the best or thought she would get away with claiming it's her work.
Yeah I agree.

Within a year of being a legal adult. Should definitely be some repercussions.

Port were trying to do a nice thing by giving young indigenous artists a chance to get their work displayed on a big stage, but it left them vulnerable to something like this. it looks obvious in hindsight but it's hard to blame them much for this. just an unfortunate situation all around.

it's not actually a copy/paste, it's a digital re-creation of the painting design that copies all the visual elements. you can see just from looking that it's not 1:1, the river on the jumper design is wider and the kangaroos look different. she obviously made it from looking at photos the artist posted on instagram.
Ican confirm the girl follows the original artist on Instagram. That's where she got it from.

Just to throw in something i found funny... she tried to produce an exact replica and didn't quite nail it. The bits where the artist is standing in front of the original photo and obstructing the design are either left blank or poorly done. It's like 1/20th of the photo with a recurring pattern and she couldn't work out what to put there. Literally 0 minds eye/ artistic talent.

What do you expect the club to do? Give her an art scholarship?

This is solved by actually hiring professionals and paying them fairly.

There's no shortage of genuine artists and designers that could have done this. It's not something that should just be about giving exposure to a kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back