Rumour Ports indigenous guernsey design was plagiarised

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
port holds huge culpability in the girl being exposed. had they done a proper job in vetting the designs she would never have been awarded the winning design and then put into the public eye only to be vulnerable when it comes out to be plagiarised. they absolutely need to look after her.

The girl needs to take responsibility for her own actions. Port needs to apologise to the artist whose work was copied

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
This along Joffa Corfa, St Kilda, Jordan De Goey and the Essendon child killer are a terrible look for the game.
The AFL were once the masters of spin, but in the age of social media are a long way behind the 8 ball in the modern world.
Despite what the insular posters think there will be some unfavourable kick back for the game from these happenings

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
The use of Art , Design etc is a messy business in the business world unless all parties are on the same page and legal documents are worded carefully etc. Aboriginal art is even more messier . Port wanted to do right thing by getting an young indigenous artist to design for the DN round. Unfortunatley It seems the young girl has taken the design of the artist as her own. Not a hanging offence . Maybe port can come to an agreement with original artist pay her a royalty for the jumpers manufactured ( royalties are normally a minimum plus a percentage on garments sold_) and make a donation to a charity of her choice. Maybe ask her to design next years jumper ?

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Case closed and I hope the media doesn’t make too much of a story of this for the students sake.

The original artist is happy for the club to continue to wear the design and all profits from jumper sales go back into Ports Aboriginal Program which has an excellent reputation for the work it does.

Lesson learnt by all but no need to hang anyone out to dry over it.

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I reckon the jumper would look much better without the Murray, the kangaroos and the crows coloured dot design.

If it were all Port coloured dots in the same design with the back at the top the jumper would look better and the girl would have had plausible deniability over whether she plagiarised it.

Outcome seems fine now though. Original artist credited. Jumper still getting worn.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Case closed and I hope the media doesn’t make too much of a story of this for the students sake.

The original artist is happy for the club to continue to wear the design and all profits from jumper sales go back into Ports Aboriginal Program which has an excellent reputation for the work it does.

Good result for all ,very gracious of artist
hope kochie buys up
Her artwork anonymously

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Good outcome in the end considering the situation, and classy response and attitude by the artist. IMO she was coming off as a little bit whingy in some of her social media posts, I can kind of understand it though with how much art means and the way people instantly turn to social media to vent. Playing your cards right in a situation like this could actually be great for your career. Respect to her.

WOFTAMWarrior

Debutant
Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Guernsey design "competitions" are the same as photography "competitions" where they offer you exposure but it doesn't pay for your equipment or actually get you a foot in the door. There are many great artists and designers out there but clubs across the board don't want to stump up the cash.

2. Great outcome in the end with PAFC and the original artist and a lesson learnt for the fraudulent artist.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
This all comes back to the way out of proportion praise that Port got for its current guernsey design, a pretty nice design, no doubt, but obviously a case of 'I'll just chuck Port's colours in to the SA SOO template'. And because of the absolute pigs' breakfasts it had made with other guernsey designs basically since day dot, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Now that cartoon characters are out of fashion, the SA/Port template in different colours seems to be the default for any local club looking for a spruce up to its design. Two clubs that I played for have done precisely that in the last five years or so. It's laughable. And it's a decent design, but a lot of the appeal stems back to a) it's not utter s**t like every other Port Power guernsey; and b) a bit of patriotism for the South Australian Port supporters (in other words, every Port supporter).

Now all the overblown praise that they got for actually coming up with a half decent design has bitten them on the arse. I mean after the logo stuff (which is a big deal on here, but I doubt that other footy fans realise that Port's current logo is 100% stolen from a graphic designer on here... I'm truly amazed this isn't a bigger story) you'd think they'd tread carefully.

How could Port have stopped it? They could have eliminated the risk in the first place. Commission a real artist... there's no shortage of them and most have probably had a pretty lean year and a half.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This all comes back to the way out of proportion praise that Port got for its current guernsey design, a pretty nice design, no doubt, but obviously a case of 'I'll just chuck Port's colours in to the SA SOO template'. And because of the absolute pigs' breakfasts it had made with other guernsey designs basically since day dot, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Now that cartoon characters are out of fashion, the SA/Port template in different colours seems to be the default for any local club looking for a spruce up to its design. Two clubs that I played for have done precisely that in the last five years or so. It's laughable. And it's a decent design, but a lot of the appeal stems back to a) it's not utter sh*t like every other Port Power guernsey; and b) a bit of patriotism for the South Australian Port supporters (in other words, every Port supporter).

Now all the overblown praise that they got for actually coming up with a half decent design has bitten them on the arse. I mean after the logo stuff (which is a big deal on here, but I doubt that other footy fans realise that Port's current logo is 100% stolen from a graphic designer on here... I'm truly amazed this isn't a bigger story) you'd think they'd tread carefully.

How could Port have stopped it? They could have eliminated the risk in the first place. Commission a real artist... there's no shortage of them and most have probably had a pretty lean year and a half.

The logo design was commissioned by a real designer by the AFL and the PAFC...

The jumper design was originally chosen for a remote Indigenous footy carnival. The carnival was subsequently cancelled, however the jumper design for the local remote carnival was carried over as a homage to the students who put up the designs...

Not sure you have a single fact straight here?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The logo design was commissioned by a real designer by the AFL and the PAFC...

The jumper design was originally chosen for a remote Indigenous footy carnival. The carnival was subsequently cancelled, however the jumper design for the local remote carnival was carried over as a homage to the students who put up the designs...

Not sure you have a single fact straight here?

Well you're surely not disputing that Port's guernseys prior to the current one were all disgraceful?

Just a coincidence that almost the exact same logo, right down to the interlocking PA appeared on Big Footy like four years earlier?

The fact is that Port either didn't recognise the risk of a controversy like this occurring with the artwork, or they chose to ignore it. Either way, it's embarrassing and I don't really have much sympathy.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well you're surely not disputing that Port's guernseys prior to the current one were all disgraceful?

Just a coincidence that almost the exact same logo, right down to the interlocking PA appeared on Big Footy like four years earlier?

The fact is that Port either didn't recognise the risk of a controversy like this occurring with the artwork, or they chose to ignore it. Either way, it's embarrassing and I don't really have much sympathy.

Stylistically, Port Adelaide has generally not embraced the iconic Papunya style for the Doug Nicholls round. Although not as highly recognisable and familiar in style, the PAFC has respected the decision of previous designers to draw from the stylistic traditions of the lands, traditions and family groups the artists identify with. This has resulted in designs that may be unfamiliar with non-Papunya Indigenous styles, symbolism and meaning and some would regard such art as ‘disgraceful’.

The logo would be on the designers as you suggested. PAFC and the AFL commissioned a designer - just as you suggested. By engaging a professional designer and providing a clear work order, the responsibility and liability belong to the designer rather than the client. The exact scenario you put forward is the one PAFC followed with the logo...

I’m not sure anyone is seeking your sympathy and no one has shied away from how embarrassing the situation is.

Kinda seems like you are shouting at clouds here as you are in heated agreement with the club. Thank you for your support.

Last edited:
right down to the interlocking PA appeared on Big Footy like four years

We began using the PA monogram almost a decade ago. The guy on BigFooty used the interlocking letters precisely because we were already using them on merch.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Well handled by Port and the artist.

what would due diligence even look like in this case though? if you haven't heard of elle campbell (and she's not a very well known artist) and you've never been to the places her art has been displayed you wouldn't have any way of knowing about this piece. there were very few photos of it online before now, as far as I know there was just one, buried in her instagram story from 2019.

Marketing firms do this every day, you can't propose a new cereal box layout if it's already being used elsewhere.

AFL needs to own this process though, since they own all the club design ip

MagpieJo

Premium Platinum
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
This along Joffa Corfa, St Kilda, Jordan De Goey and the Essendon child killer are a terrible look for the game.
The AFL were once the masters of spin, but in the age of social media are a long way behind the 8 ball in the modern world.
Despite what the insular posters think there will be some unfavourable kick back for the game from these happenings
essenddon child killer???

Back