Analysis Port's midfield 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a little harsh on Ollie. He has only played five games and had no preseason due to his shoulder.
Shoulder or not is efficiency is poor and always has been. Even his handballs don't hit the targets nowadays

Shoulder or not is efficiency is poor and always has been. Even his handballs don't hit the targets nowadays

Sorry to be cynical but that means he fits nicely into our game plan. I don't disagree with what you are posting and Ollie isn't the only culprit with poor disposal but I do not think we can judge him on this year alone.

I am not sure whether we have simply recruited a bunch of players with poor disposal skills or whether our coaching turns them into players with poor disposal.

SPP is a bee's dick away from being able to absolutely tear apart the competition. He has the strength, the speed and the skill to be a dominant inside/out midfielder, but is just lacking in a few key areas. He needs to tidy up his disposal and composure, which go hand in hand, and he needs to learn to calm down a bit and play the percentages instead of going for a big fend-off or tackle and ending up getting caught with the ball or collecting someone too high. The one key attribute that separate's him from the rest however is that when the going gets tough, he is one of those players I know will try to rip the game back onto our terms single-handed. He is a fighter and a match winner. 2-and-a-half years on an AFL list isn't long, so just give him time and throw everything at his development and we could have one for the ages.

Come the end of the day Wines and SPP are almost the same players. They have big capable bodies and noticeably put in a lot of effort, but their disposal is inefficient. However you'd almost always have to pick Wines over SPP, not just because he's the captain but also because his best form can define games.

Saying Wines and SPP are the same player is like saying Robbie Gray and Sam Gray are the same player.

Boak’s resurgence has certainly thrown a spanner in the works. Whilst in a different role, he was borderline done last year. Now he looks like he has years ahead of him playing on the inside.

Robbie looks to have got some form back and his agility and reading of the ball adds a different dynamic.

SPP provides that break away and delivery inside fifty. He is right on the cusp of being elite. He is young and will make mistakes, give him time. Atley could also play this role.

Rocky is the accumulator and clearance winner. He is supposed to win the ball/receive the ball and make that short kick to open it up for us. His still has years in him, but his lack of speed, injuries and disposal issues are catching up with him.

Wines is the bull who can play the Rocky, Boak or SPP roles. He is the drag the side over the line player. He has had a stinker of year and that’s on him. At his best, he can and should be seen as a premier player in the league. Win it on the inside, burst away and also be able to float forward for a goal or two. He needs to slim down, improve his disposal and goal kicking and work on his running and acceleration. He can and will get there.

Ebert is another inside winner who can rotate forward.

Drew, Atley, S.Gray, Hartlett, Houston, Burton (I believe), Butters, Rozee, Motlop and DBJ can all rotate through the middle and provide something.

We need to see more of Houston through the middle before he is cast there. The others are pinge hitters.

Currently Boak, Robbie and SPP provide a nice balance in the middle. Ebert can play up front so problem solved there. Atley and Drew are depth at this stage. Houston/Burton/Butters, etc provide skill. The question becomes, how do we fit Rocky and Wines in? I can’t see us being able to play both but it would be madness to have one running in the twos. I also don’t think either can play another role, ie like Ebert playing HFF.

Wines’ inside work is a bit overrated and like his disposal doesn’t seem to have improved in recent years. He has the odd huge game, perhaps not coincidentally when the whole midfield fires, against Sydney and Richmond last year and West Coast this year but I’ve also seen him pantsed by guys like Hugh Greenwood and David Meyers.

His disposal is never going to be elite so his clearance work needs to be and right now it isn’t. It’s a simple game Ollie, see ball get ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back