Opinion Port's ruck strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that it's been shown that 2 passable rucks may not beat but will at least not allow a top ruckman to dominate maybe Ken will play two of Paddy, Billy and Scott as well as Sam when he recovers.

Now that it's been shown that 2 passable rucks may not beat but will at least not allow a top ruckman to dominate maybe Ken will play two of Paddy, Billy and Scott as well as Sam when he recovers.

Sam Gray should be good to go from round 1 ;)

I'm a big fan of playing two rucks, as long as they aren't the Lobster.

So in the A's it's Lycett and Ryder, in the B's it's Hayes and Frampton.

Both our b graders need more time to develop in the SANFL. However long Ryder lasts will give them that time.

Got a feeling that Peter Ladhams will get a 1 year deal and Brogan will be helping him out.

I would love to see Ladhams make it

we desperately need to develop a ruck if we are recruiting Lycett

It's a massive worry that we rely on Ryder so much... Have a look at the last 3 Premiers and name their ruckman.. majority were plodders

Bulldogs: Tom boyd/Roughead
Tigers: Nankervis/Grigg (lol)
Eagles: Lycett/Vardy

Hardy all australians.. just smash in and make a contest.

If we overpay to grab Lycett it's a mistake.

It's a massive worry that we rely on Ryder so much... Have a look at the last 3 Premiers and name their ruckman.. majority were plodders

Yea this is my concern. Perhaps I don’t appreciate the intricacies of a ruck contest but is the greater concern that we are unable to play without a A grade one not that we don’t have one? There are what 4 or 5 exceptional maybe win you a game every now and then ruckmen (Grundy, Gawn, Ryder, Goldstein, Nic Nat).

During their premierships, did Hawthorn, Sydney or Collingwood have A grade ruckmen? What did Geelong do when ottens was injured?

This year the side with the best overall structure won despite makeshift rucks. Only Collingwood, Melbourne, North and Port had ‘elite’ rucks in the top 12.

Paying lycett a lot for a long time will not correct anything. If we can’t win without an a grade ruck, bringing in a average ruck will not change that.

He's a free agent. Why does it matter what we pay him? It doesn't change his ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brogan has almost signed up on a deal to be Port’s part time ruck coach next year.
Good hope it happens. I wrote a couple of weeks ago in the assistant coaches thread that with being SA manager of IT company EFEX who are the official Technology Partner of the GWS, hopefully he could find some time to do a small part time gig with the club, or at very least maybe check out ruckmen we are interested in recruiting or potential basketball converts.

Sam Gray should be good to go from round 1 ;)
Adelaide played Trent Ormond-Allen(180cm) in the ruck on a few occasions. I recall a game against St Kilda in 1999 where Peter Everitt was winning most of the taps and Adelaide had about 6 or 7 players including him going in to provide some kind of contest. At least Sam Gray could bite the opposing ruckman's knees.

Adelaide played Trent Ormond-Allen(180cm) in the ruck on a few occasions. I recall a game against St Kilda in 1999 where Peter Everitt was winning most of the taps and Adelaide had about 6 or 7 players including him going in to provide some kind of contest. At least Sam Gray could bite the opposing ruckman's knees.
They played him once for a decent chunk of the game when Blight wanted to make one of his wacky point in that St Kilda game. He might have had the odd contest here and there in the next few games but he wasn't the long term designated ruck like Grigg has been.

Good hope it happens. I wrote a couple of weeks ago in the assistant coaches thread that with being SA manager of IT company EFEX who are the official Technology Partner of the GWS, hopefully he could find some time to do a small part time gig with the club, or at very least maybe check out ruckmen we are interested in recruiting or potential basketball converts.
Had Dean email me offering photocopiers blah blah

Should I reply and ask him if he's coaching at Port? lol

They played him once for a decent chunk of the game when Blight wanted to make one of his wacky point in that St Kilda game. He might have had the odd contest here and there in the next few games but he wasn't the long term designated ruck like Grigg has been.
Saints had a reasonable amount of success playing Jason Blake in that role. 189 cm so wasn't tiny, but significantly smaller than all other full time rucks. Even beat 201 cm Mike Pyke for HOs in a game in 2012 (31 to 29).

Saints had a reasonable amount of success playing Jason Blake in that role. 189 cm so wasn't tiny, but significantly smaller than all other full time rucks. Even beat 201 cm Mike Pyke for HOs in a game in 2012 (31 to 29).
Haha. Pyke played probably his best game ever in the 2012 GF. Might have been the kick up the arse he needed to improve that year.

How does Trengove as a ruck and ruck/forward compare with Lycett?

If Ryder is fit to play 80% of our games for 80% of those games, trengove would be a better fit

if Ryder's fitness is a risk, Lycett would be the perfect fit whilst we rebuild and wait for Hayes, Ladhams or Frampton to develop or recruit a better ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back