Opinion Port's ruck strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Those announcing the end of Paddy Ryder are premature.

He is the perfect 2nd ruck/Forward. He has just been out of form but when on song takes marks around the ground and offers a mobile target up forward.

Conditions haven’t suited his style of play and, as I say, he’s been out of form. But he is too good a player to be down for too long.

When the sun comes out, watch out for Paddy.

He is the perfect 2nd ruck/Forward. He has just been out of form but when on song takes marks around the ground and offers a mobile target up forward.

Conditions haven’t suited his style of play and, as I say, he’s been out of form. But he is too good a player to be down for too long.

Pretty long time to be out of form.

Form doesn't account for his lack of work rate off the ball.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is his forward craft that is wanting.

I will give him to the end of the season to get his s**t together to give him another year but he had better hurry up, because he needs to improve a fair bit to get into the side, and stay in the best 22 if we play in September.

Hate to to bring it up as I would love to see Sam dominate as first ruck for us but can anyone remember a ruckman that left us for another club and ended up making us regret the trade?

Come to think of it not too many players in the Hinkley era have left and survived to take a step up.

Hate to to bring it up as I would love to see Sam dominate as first ruck for us but can anyone remember a ruckman that left us for another club and ended up making us regret the trade?

Come to think of it not too many players in the Hinkley era have left and survived to take a step up.
I don't know about regret, but I thought Ryder was destined for retirement by the end of 2020. He has done well getting a few extra years out of himself.

Although if he stayed with us, he'd probably be either rucking for us right now, or would have been sent into retirement 2 years ago.

Is it because of him, or our fitness staff? Who knows.

Brogan was playing in the 2012 GWS game.....

Context is important here. We gave St Kilda Paddy Ryder, one of their best players even now, for free.

I have no regrets about letting Ryder go. Possibly we wouldn’t regret Hayes leaving (more likely we would) but I’ve absolutely no doubt we’d be inadequately compensated either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah even Ladhams got shown up on the weekend by our part timers. Dougal really hasn’t taken the step up we all thought he was capable of, hell even the most infamous trade out, Wingard, is a master stroke in hindsight. Our talent identification is much under appreciated. Development however…..

Imagine Ryder instead of Lycett in the 2020 prelim. If we don't get smacked in the clearances in that game we win comfortably and go into the GF as favourites.

Imagine Ryder instead of Lycett in the 2020 prelim. If we don't get smacked in the clearances in that game we win comfortably and go into the GF as favourites.

ryders finals record and the 17 elimination final , tell a different story

Have to admit I was a big fan of Ryder and agree with a lot of posts above about him going.

Although given his run of injuries you can't blame the club for proposing the 1 year at a time extension which has been pretty standard for most of our players on the flip side of 30.

Likewise he got offered 2 years with the Saints so cant blame him for moving on either. End of 2019 we just finished 10th, again, so doubt Paddy would have seen us as potential grand finalists in a Covid affected season

Ryder played for Essendon and 2015-2019 Port Adelaide. I don't think his Finals record is on him. He was a big game player for us otherwise IMO

Got destroyed by Sam Jacobs bar the gray game in showdowns and under hinkley there our only big games

Not saying I wouldn't of taken Ryder over lycett in the last 2 prelims btw

Inside the game: How Port Adelaide's could change the game with their no-ruck approach

Venkmann on Hinkley: “It’s true Your Honour, this man has no ruck.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside the game: How Port Adelaide's could change the game with their no-ruck approach
Genuis Ken.

First no tall forwards, them no tall defenders, now no tall rucks.

What will he think of next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back