2nds Ports v Crows, qualifying final.

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess Drew would've known this but still would've jumped at the chance for another AFL game at the expense of a bush league finals appearance.

Yeah it's been another failed AFL season but it still ALWAYS has to take priority over SANFL, and at the time of selection we still had a legitimate chance to make AFL finals. We were hardly going to make calls with a B grade premiership as the number 1 priority.

Crows Players Qualified (17 allowed)
Matthew Wright
Myles Poholke
Tyson Stengle
Chayce Jones
Andy Otten
Shane Macadam
Sam Jacobs
Darcy Fogarty
Elliott Himmelberg
Will Hamill
Lachlan Sholl
Ben Davis
Patrick Wilson
Jordan Butts
Kieran Strachan

Then 6 top ups from
Hamish Latchford
Tom Hutcheson
Matthew Merrett
Jy Farrer
Jordan Boyle
Mitchell Johnson
Jackson Press
Billy Hayes
Lachlan Ryan
James Matthews
Corey Davey
Pierce Seymour
Sam Therdaldesn

HH after the game on 5AA said that Drew now wouldn't qualify, but that we'll probably lodge an appeal regarding that.

So literally everyone knows the situation, and the impact of playing him in 1 dead rubber, yet we still played Drew anyway.

fu**in this club. Horrendous management.
I thought we would have pulled him from the game as soon as we found out it was a dead rubber

I guess Drew would've known this but still would've jumped at the chance for another AFL game at the expense of a bush league finals appearance.

Yeah it's been another failed AFL season but it still ALWAYS has to take priority over SANFL, and at the time of selection we still had a legitimate chance to make AFL finals. We were hardly going to make calls with a B grade premiership as the number 1 priority.
We just needed to make him a late out for SPP.

Besides, I wouldn't undervalue the taste of winning a premiership, even if a SANFL one.

If we were a chance for finals (which I disagree that we were) then Powell-Pepper should have played instead of having a week off.

Although Drew played in a dead rubber where Freo didn't care, He now misses out on possibly 2-4 high pressure SANFL finals which would have been beneficial to his development.

With Marshall and McKenzie: There is no AFL games anymore so they are omitted from the AFL side. They should play.

Cox didn't play any AFL and was injured, he'll play.

Drew won't because our club is incompetent.

If we were a chance for finals (which I disagree that we were) then Powell-Pepper should have played instead of having a week off.

Although Drew played in a dead rubber where Freo didn't care, He now misses out on possibly 2-4 high pressure SANFL finals which would have been beneficial to his development.
Yeah this is all fair. And perhaps i was being a bit harsh on the SANFL finals but i just find it hard to get excited about them when the AFL season was such a disaster.

And the rules that are in place devalue it.

Plus we've been here before and had great SANFL seasons in 2014 and 2017 and the rules have worked against us when it mattered then and will no doubt happen again.

I think something must be up with SPP, and perhaps more reasons as to why he didn't play.

Personally I don't think there is a player in any league that wouldn't rather play in a Grand Final and possible premiership than a dead rubber against Freo, who were barely better than our reserves anyway.

Drew was never going to be the difference between a win and a loss. He should've just been sitting out as the emergency IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows Players Qualified (17 allowed)
Matthew Wright
Myles Poholke
Tyson Stengle
Chayce Jones
Andy Otten
Shane Macadam
Sam Jacobs
Darcy Fogarty
Elliott Himmelberg
Will Hamill
Lachlan Sholl
Ben Davis
Patrick Wilson
Jordan Butts
Kieran Strachan

Find it very hard to imagine Jacobs playing SANFL finals.

Whose your 3rd string ruck? Strachan?

Realisitically on paper our side should smash that one.

Plus we've been here before and had great SANFL seasons in 2014 and 2017 and the rules have worked against us when it mattered then and will no doubt happen again.
Glenelg and Sturt will undoubtedly be very tough to beat with our top ups, and a weakened core.

Personally I don't think there is a player in any league that wouldn't rather play in a Grand Final and possible premiership than a dead rubber against Freo, who were barely better than our reserves anyway.

Drew was never going to be the difference between a win and a loss. He should've just been sitting out as the emergency IMO.
Do you reckon they would've discussed this with Drew though? I doubt they were holding a gun to his head demanding that he play even if he had a preference to play in SANFL finals.

Premierships are amazing but i think it would be different for these AFL listed guys, their main priority would be getting into the AFL side.

Do you reckon they would've discussed this with Drew though? I doubt they were holding a gun to his head demanding that he play even if he had a preference to play in SANFL finals.

Premierships are amazing but i think it would be different for these AFL listed guys, their main priority would be getting into the AFL side.
Who would say "no" and risk never being called up again? It is not up to Drew to decide.

Predicted Maggies Side:
F: Hayes - Frampton - Cox
HF: Farrell - Marshall - Woodcock
C: Pudney - Atley - Mayes
HB: Frederick - Lienert - Elsworthy
B: Corcoran - McKenzie - Garner
R: Ladhams - Trengove - Sutcliffe
INT: Hewett - Davidson - Appleton
EMERG: Grundy - Strange
Pretty much how I'd have it. I don't think AJ plays even if not suspended. Grundy and AJ would my first 2 out of the side.

Also a bit harsh on Hewett lol, he starts HBF before Elsworthy.

I could see Hill possibly being used if Marshall can't play in the first game, and maybe Grundy might play if McKenzie is out.

Yep

Thats why Sauce has to play. Its finals. Wouldnt see Port rest someone from a SaNFl final. Himmelberg and Strachan will ruck as Hunter is injured.

Personally I think Drew would get more out of going up and testing himself against Nat Fyfe than Matthew Wright.

A side could be as below. Take Sauce, Fog and Jones out and replace with 3 more top ups may as well not turn up.

FHimmelbergStrachanStengle
HFMacadamFogartyWright
CJonesWilsonDavis
HBHamilButtsSholl
BDaveyOttenMerrett
RuckInter
JacobsLatchford
PoholkeHutcheson
BoyleJohnson

Personally I think Drew would get more out of going up and testing himself against Nat Fyfe than Matthew Wright.
It looked like Wines was with Fyfe yesterday. Also I'm comparing 1 dead rubber with up to 4 SANFL finals. That's more games under his belt.

Also SPP missed out on another AFL or SANFL game too last weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back