2nds Ports v Crows, qualifying final.

Remove this Banner Ad

We are still targeting the opposition's best player but we don't talk about it any more. Learned a lesson from the Neale debacle.

We worked over Walters in the Freo game and Wilson caught the treatment tonight. At least Billy didn't split him in half again.

Nah. Nothing special there.
Jones will be an excellent onballer for them, McHenry does all the things around the ground and is coming back from what 8 weeks without playing?
Fog kicked 6 only 3 weeks ago against the reigning premiers.

Crows haven't played the kids but they certainly aren't the mispicks the original claim was making

Hayes’ ruck work and Ladhams’ forward play and ground level work were big highlights, along with the all round games of Drew and McKenzie.

Cox finds it beautifully. Woodcock’s finishing excellent.

Farrell is still too lazy. He found enough of it but can do even better with a greater work ethic.

Billy didn’t compete anywhere near well enough against Otten.
Hayes could be a great ruckman. Watched him closely at the game and he has the know how with where to position himself around the ground which can't be taught, and his tap work was really good. I'm hoping he gets 5 or so AFL games next season cause I think he is nearly ready.

Frampton had a dog of a night. Otten blanketed him, and Billy needs to improve his second and third efforts. He'll get majorly shown up at AFL level dishing that up. To his credit he did a few nice things later in the game but that's what I noticed sitting behind the goals.

Ladhams...my god!!!

3 moments -
1) Taking the ball out of the ruck in defence in the second term, bursting through 3 tackles and bolting away from the pack like a startled okapi.
2) Roving a baubling ball on a half forward flank in the second term, turns inside, runs to 45 out and rams. it. home.
3) Galloping through congestion in the final term, picks up the loose ball at his ankles without breaking stride and distributes it to an outside runner.

Amazing, has he been doing this magic all year?

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 11.47.55 pm.png

That was the most enjoyable game of footy I've been to in years. Five years to be exact. Since 2014.

Nursing beers, I stood at the back, behind the cheer squad at the Riverbank end, and revelled in a real footy crowd, a true Port crowd. Tonight's few hundred faithful > 40,000 at Power home games. The atmosphere was awesome. Real passion, real emotion and I loved every minute of it.

Especially old mate holding up the "PAFC EST 1870" banner. He coached, commentated and umpired every passage of play at the top of his lungs, punctuating bad moments by kicking the fence in front of him - BAM! - while the lady sitting beside him simply called everyone a "F@%KHEAD!"

Umpires - F@%KHEAD
Crows players - F@%KHEAD
The security guard who came over to keep an eye on them - F@%KHEAD

Also: "You're a f@%ken franchise and Eddie Betts is going to the Gold Coast, suck sh!t!"

Going back to my spot after grabbing an exorbitantly overpriced Super-Hahn, I noticed everyone staring, gawking, whispering in my direction. WTF were they looking at? Me?

Nope. Turns out I was walking in front of Charlie Dixon. Everyone in the area lost their mother f@%king minds, especially the adults. Footy fans are the worst fanboys.

Ali. Pele. Jordan. Gretzky. Ladhams.

Pete was on some next level sh!t tonight. There was a buzz every time he went near it. Dat goal will (deservedly) get all the highlights. But I lurrrrrrved that ball-up in the Crows goalsquare when he just grabbed it and took off, fmd.

Before the game, and during breaks, I was re-reading Watchmen for the first time in thirty years. Nite Owl, a vigilante who wears an owl costume and flies an owl plane, features prominently at the moment. And rn all I can see is Ken Hinkley being his secret identity, ffs.

The crowd erupted when, after umpteen attempts, Tobin finally kicked that goal in the last quarter.

Disgruntled members. Cancelling auto-renewals in protest. Agitating for change at their beloved club. Crows or Port fans? Both, actually. One p!ssed off customer reckons he's pumped $50k into CrowsCorp. over the last 28 years. Easy. And he ain't pumping in another "brass razoo" until Roo does something, godammit!

Fifty grand? All I could think about was how many of the original twelve Star Wars figures I could buy with that kind of moolah. Mint condition, in their packets, hnnnnnnnng.

Crows fans seem pretty confident about beating Norwood. The SANFL would be hoping like hell it doesn't happen. They'd be dreaming of Port-Glenelg-Norwood in the last few weeks, just like the good ol' days.

Really hope it's another Port v Glenelg grand final and it follows a familiar script, Studley couldn't even, lmao...

Last edited:
I thought it was a good crowd. Best night I’ve had at the footy all year.
It was loud on the radio. It was easy to know who scored only by the roar from the crowd. We were way louder.

In fairness, if Ryder had just managed to qualify for the sanfl finals, being an afl player his whole career and only playing 10 or so sanfl games, given he is pretty much half way out the door already and had his final contract, a two year at that ready to go at another club. Id have no issue if he didn't play for the Maggies under the sane circumstances. Younger players, yes, but at their age and relevance to the comp, I'd say it's fair enough..
If he doesn't want to play, I would be happy he weren't playing; and happier he would be leaving!

Watched some of the first quarter and all of second half my thoughts:

Atley - looks like boak when he bursts out of stoppages but disposes like Kane Mitchell. Cant weigh his kicks at all, always goes for worm burning passes that either hits the deck or goes over the targets head. Its a pretty big deficiency to have and maybe a reason he didnt get an AFL game this year

Ladhams - Beast. Agile quick can mark in the air kick goals run all over the ground and outsmart his opponent. Took the ball our of the ruck in the centre square a few times when his opposing ruck lept into him was pretty funny. Were so lucky to have him resigned going to take the comp by storm in 2020

Woodcock - pls leave the finger twirls to Motlop but you did have a good game

Mayes - liked his game had a bit of class. Hopefully he breaks through in 2020
KEEP THE TWIRL, WOODY!

Do not listen to him!

Ladhams needs to learn the art of tapwork and hitting to our advantage.

We were markedly better with Hayes in ruck and Ladhams forward.
Hayes is easily the better ruckman and has been all year. It's the other things that make Ladhams special. That pick up on the half volley and lace out pass in the 3rd or 4th quarter was sex. Then there was the broken tackle and pass in the 2nd that was so good. Then that goal he kicked as well, * me. Ladhams has so much dexterity by foot for a big man. He has a lot of work to do on his ruck craft, but his tool kit is immense.

Crows fans seem pretty confident about beating Norwood. The SANFL would be hoping like hell it doesn't happen. They'd be dreaming of Port-Glenelg-Norwood in the last few weeks, just like the good ol' days.
The Crows are the worst team in this finals series.
We had 27 more I50s, 10 clearances, 32 more Hitouts, 68 more disposals, etc. That was a domination everywhere but on the scoreboard.

The Crows reserves will go out in straight sets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows are the worst team in this finals series.
We had 27 more I50s, 10 clearances, 32 more Hitouts, 68 more disposals, etc. That was a domination everywhere but on the scoreboard.

The Crows reserves will go out in straight sets.

Crows ruined what was otherwise a solid traditional SANFL finals series of Port, Norwood, Sturt and Glenelg. They've been cutting the sandwiches of them for nearly 30 years now so what's a future more?

Hayes could be a great ruckman. Watched him closely at the game and he has the know how with where to position himself around the ground which can't be taught, and his tap work was really good. I'm hoping he gets 5 or so AFL games next season cause I think he is nearly ready.

Frampton had a dog of a night. Otten blanketed him, and Billy needs to improve his second and third efforts. He'll get majorly shown up at AFL level dishing that up. To his credit he did a few nice things later in the game but that's what I noticed sitting behind the goals.

Spot on post.

Hayes is very clever and an excellent reader of overall play. I like his on-field demeanor. Unflustered, solid, subtle and brings others into the game.

Frampton on the other hand displayed a few traits that were disappointing to see again. Poor second effort, visibly frustrated and aloof. Otten, like most AFL defenders, wore him like a glove. Billy did some nice things and has an AFL future if he can address his effort when the chips are down.

Ladhams...my god!!!

3 moments -
1) Taking the ball out of the ruck in defence in the second term, bursting through 3 tackles and bolting away from the pack like a startled okapi.
2) Roving a baubling ball on a half forward flank in the second term, turns inside, runs to 45 out and rams. it. home.
3) Galloping through congestion in the final term, picks up the loose ball at his ankles without breaking stride and distributes it to an outside runner.

Amazing, has he been doing this magic all year?
And then that goal square mark in the third sandwiched between two Crows defenders. Calmly snaps it through after Cox had kicked four floaters in a row.

Brogan needs to teach Ladhams how to weight and direct his taps to our midfielders’ advantage. When he learns that, he will be ELITE at AFL level. The best part is that the second best ruck man in the competition will be his teammate wearing the #25.

Ladhams and Hayes.

Now to find a couple of A-grade centre square mids and an A-grade key forward.

I wouldn't overthink Cox's goal-kicking. He had a night to forget and kicked some absolute floaters which was completely unlike him. Either he had an injection or the fluky wind threw him. He is usually a very accurate kick. His defensive pressure was first rate too. Tobin stayed involved in the game, not always easy as a small forward.

Crows were lucky we were inaccurate and wasteful entering forward 50. If the game had been played in the mid afternoon that greeted Norwood and Sturt we would have sent them plucked as one back to West Lakes.

The camries look in disarray. Jacobs basically gave them the big * you and can't be blamed with the way he has been treated after being a warrior for them for years. They are trying to push so many players out the door, nobody could be feeling too loyal at the moment other than the little cabal of players who run the club. That camp is still resonating its after shocks. Norwood should smack them next week.

Crows had 8 non AFL players and some of those were div 6 standard.

Yeah, they've been hit a lot harder by the AFL eligibility rules than we have. Will be a straight sets exit for them next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back