Game Day Ports vs Purple wiggles game day thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

PJ Power

Didn't see the game, as mentioned early in the thread, but just watched a few highlights. You've pointed out a few of Dixon's issues as a player, but I'd like to add as a leader and enforcer, if I was standing toe to toe with him I wouldn't be worried. His remonstration of the Gray tackle, being the first on the scene, was laughable for a fella of his size and power. The Freo player wasn't even dropped. I don't care if it reverses the free kick, a 50m, a report. There's no bark to his bite. He's not an enforcer.

We take shots about Walker's faux tough guy act but seriously, Dixon isn't far away. It's ******* disappointing. You've only gotta do it once to earn the reputation.

What are your thoughts on this?

Add to that, another game where Robbie Gray is taken out, a little bit of a melee happens, and we manage to lose against a shitheap. No pride in the club from players or coaches to do what it takes.

Look, I just want the guy to take marks and kick goals.

There was one thing he did today that was soft. Everyone who watched the game will know the incident that I'm talking about. It occurred in the second quarter, on the "outer" half-forward flank when we were kicking left of screen. He and a smaller opponent were running in opposite directions toward a loose ball, and he fell past the footy and the Freo defender kept his feet and cleared the ball.

Besides that, I'm not here to question Dixon's toughness. There have been many times during his career with us where I've been more annoyed by the soft frees he gives away when he gets frustrated during losses (see almost every Showdown loss since he's been with us).

My biggest issue with him, is that we target him with high balls all the time and he does not mark the footy often enough. People will point out justifiably that he is often multi-teamed. But the ones that piss me off are when we get it into our forward 50 from a clean centre clearance (Wingard on a couple of occasions today) and he gets out-pointed by his opponent while sitting under the high ball, or the ball gets spoilt away and the opposition clears it out of their defence easily.

I want Dixon to lead hard and directly to the ball carrier more often and to find himself in a position to jump at the high footy.

The fault is clearly not just his own. Our mids and general gamestyle make it very hard for a tall forward. But something has to give. We will not be a force to be reckoned with if Dixon doesn't recapture the marking and goal-kicking form that he showed in the last 6 weeks of the 2017 season.

FWIW, today is not the day that I should be singling out Dixon. I'm just pissed off that Cox and Jones down the other end are taking big marks against our defenders, and we didn't have any tall marking presence today (both because of lack of opportunities, and lack of making the most of the ones we did have).

I do think that the way we use Dixon, and his own lack of efficiency, is a significant part of our low scoring this year.

It is not good enough with the midfield and forward line players we have to be scoring an average of 86 points per game throughout 2018.

Look, I just want the guy to take marks and kick goals.

I was having random memories the other day of Fraser Gherig in his prime, prowling around behind the goals, on the fence, taking his man out the play and leaving plenty of room for him to lead in to. I'd love to see Dixon have a go at this but I get the feeling he'd be told off for being too deep.

There was an extra air of cockiness this week, and the selection of Amon over Trengove showed the coaches were arrogant about our chances too.

Perhaps it was because we got it done against Carlton and Saints despite playing like poo.

Our footy for a month now has been below par and today it was downright terrible. Winning patched over major problems.

I am sick of Dixon’s inability to impose himself on the scoreboard. No amount of rucking, or crashing packs, or tackling can wallpaper the fact he is there to kick goals. We target him constantly going into 50, and it has become the wrong option. In the first quarter our inability to impact the scoreboard with all of those inside 50s gave them a sniff. Dixon and Gray were useless standing under the long ball.

We have coached the art of leading out of this forward line. It was the same problem in 2016.

After quarter time, the midfield were culpable for not getting it forward.
I think it is time dixon started to get called out on his performances. I'm not sure if the club is in denial or burying its head in the sand but strangely it is as if they're happy with his output.

Right now his position in the side should be on the edge. Luckily for him Ryder has been injured and therefore we will need him in the ruck, and hopefully that helps wake him up from his 16 week slumber.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

PJ Power

Didn't see the game, as mentioned early in the thread, but just watched a few highlights. You've pointed out a few of Dixon's issues as a player, but I'd like to add as a leader and enforcer, if I was standing toe to toe with him I wouldn't be worried. His remonstration of the Gray tackle, being the first on the scene, was laughable for a fella of his size and power. The Freo player wasn't even dropped. I don't care if it reverses the free kick, a 50m, a report. There's no bark to his bite. He's not an enforcer.

We take shots about Walker's faux tough guy act but seriously, Dixon isn't far away. It's ******* disappointing. You've only gotta do it once to earn the reputation.

What are your thoughts on this?

Add to that, another game where Robbie Gray is taken out, a little bit of a melee happens, and we manage to lose against a shitheap. No pride in the club from players or coaches to do what it takes.

I got told i was an idiot for making the same point in the Dixon thread.

Its ok if our best player is taken out in a malicious incident, we'll cop it on the chin.

I got told i was an idiot for making the same point in the Dixon thread.

Its ok if our best player is taken out in a malicious incident, we'll cop it on the chin.

There's a few here still unprepared to admit thus far, Dixon is not living up to the hefty price we paid to get him here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing today highlighted to me, was that J Westhoff has been our most dangerous forward over the past five weeks. Take him out of that forward line as we did to stop the bleeding after quarter time, and to cover Ryder after half-time, and the agility and spontaneity of that forward line vanishes.

Mr Hoff has been a star in season 2018.

There's a few here still unprepared to admit thus far, Dixon is not living up to the hefty price we paid to get him here.
I reckon we are to blame though a Nick Riewoldt gazelle he ain't hopefully the mooted rule changes next year force Kerny to play him deep.

He's gone back to the iron dukes, drops everything. Mind you I wouldn't want to be a forward with our shizenhausen forward entries.

Schulz was better across 10 - 12 and the team as a whole was a lot worse. His form can't continually be deflected back to the rest of the team and the entries. They are limited and shithouse, but if he was good enough he'd be doing better regardless.

Another thing today highlighted to me, was that J Westhoff has been our most dangerous forward over the past five weeks. Take him out of that forward line as we did to stop the bleeding after quarter time, and to cover Ryder after half-time, and the agility and spontaneity of that forward line vanishes.

Mr Hoff has been a star in season 2018.

I think I said a few weeks ago when we started our winning run, it was no coincidence that it also happened to be when Hoff began to spend more time in the 50 again.

I hope so too, but you know it will be Robbie starting as our mandatory deep forward.

Dixon deep with Motlop crumbing was what I thought our forward line would look like mostly....instead we have Dixon on the wing and Mots at half back still kicking to a 2 on 1 Sam Gray.

Dixon deep with Motlop crumbing was what I thought our forward line would look like mostly....instead we have Dixon on the wing and Mots at half back still kicking to a 2 on 1 Sam Gray.

Why everyone else was fooled I've never know. Why did people expect anything different? Just cause we brought in more forwards? You guys honestly believed that we'd, you know, play them forward? Cause it would be a first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back