Autopsy Pos. & Neg. v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

EMac was good. Should keep his spot. Pridda was good, cept Wellingham the spud kicking it to him out of defense.

Bring in Sheed and Jetta. We need faster ball movement.

Potential positive, NicNat back next week? Giles was horrid, Lycett has been outclassed the last 2 weeks. Not up to being a no.1 ruckman.
Very harsh on Lycett, thought he broke even with Gawn up to 3 quarter time - pretty good effort considering Gawn is the form ruck of them competition and is used to playing the number 1 ruck role.

We won a close game that we had to win. We ground out a win, isn't that what people on this board want to see us do?

I am not saying it was pretty, pretty friggen ordinary in patches though, but I am hoping we will actually learn how to win the close ones from these type of games.

People sing Hawthorn's praises for doing exactly that.

1 minute to go and 6 points up, no-one had the sense to run down the clock or switch to possession football. Kicked to multiple contests and gave Melbourne every chance to snatch it from us. Was unbelievably dumb play. Luck was not on Melbourne's side today though at all. Collingwood next week, hope we're not 2 goals up with 2 minutes to go in that game because we'd be doing a Richmond strait up.

+ We are still winning games even though we are playing like s**t
+ The last time a team that got smashed with I50 against and won was the Hawks against Port last year (-33, worse than ours today). 3 peat confirmed!
+ Barrass is a gun (we just keep producing gun back men)

- Midfield is still rubbish, got smashed in all the stats that directly relate to the performance of the midfield.
- Wellers was trash
- Did Masten even play today?
- Redden needs to stay in teh 2's for the rest of the year. He is probably the worst senior transfer we have had in the clubs history?
- Bung is a s**t captain, should be JK, hes the only one that leads by example
- Even if we finish top 4 by some miracle, the genuine top 4 teams will smash us.

Seeing a lot of Masten hate, thought his performance was above most of his teammates.

I know wet weather footy and all but laziness/complacency cost us a few goals directly.

Mind you I think this midfield could really be something if they learn to work together like Melbourne did today. Occasionally they'll set up numbers behind the ball and if they get it run backwards through traffic where their mates are putting on block after block, hands off to someone else, rinse and repeat until a target opens up. I'm not a tactician but that seems so much more effective than get first hands -》 bomb.
Well then maybe the coaching staff aren't up to it. We appear to only have a Plan A which many have stated in earlier posts this year.

Went in too tall for the conditions. Sheed should've come in for giles/emac

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Sheed wasn't ready and somebody stated on the WAFL site that he does not look fit, so that would not have been the answer at this stage. Considering the conditions would have probably paid to either have kept McGinnitty or Hutchings in as think either one of them would have handled the wet better than some who played today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive. We won. Not sure how. Have to keep checking to make sure.

Negative. Wasting much bandwidth checking the score because I am sure all news sites are wrong in saying we won after playing like the biggest bunch of crabs ever.

Positive- Clearly the main board gameday thread is the high point. Melts as far as the eye can see.
We got the 4 points and were completely undeserving. Ugly win is better than ugly loss
The back six survived Emac coming back fairly well. They won plenty of ball. Gave it straight back mostly but won plenty of contests.

Negative- Yeesh...we are bad at the footballs and pretty much out of time to find our mojo. I had hoped that we would find some form after the bye but we just don't seem to have much in the way of desire, especially in the midfield.
We really look like a "just making up the numbers" finals side.

+ Won a tough game against a hardened midfield. (Which I totally underestimated)
+ Held on, backline again repelled everything considering the volume of I50's
+Priddis 1st qtr, immense.
+ Shuey
+Barrass.
+ Lycett battled hard v an inform Gawn.
+ Hometime umpiring. Suck s**t flogs from other boards, we got the rub of the green again. Suck my balls

- Yeo. Disappointing. Just hasn't got the goods to be a FT mid. Poor disposal
- Wellers kicking. Jesus man.
- Redden didn't do enough, but wasn't the devil as I had read earlier today
- Midfield is gross outside of Priddis, Gaff & Shuey.
- Not running in waves like 2015. Just nothing.

Our mids like Redden and Duggan dont get many touches as we just dont share it around. There issue is not just them, its also Yeo, Masten and Jetta when he plays. I wonder if it is a structure/game plan issue - it could be because we have good key forwards that we kick to from the midfield and we run and share through the middle less than other sides.
This x1000

Redden is not an amazing footballer but it simply makes no sense that he has dropped off so much. I hazard a guess that you put him in another midfield and he averages mid-20s possessions.

There's something seriously not right with our structures and the instructions for the midfielders. Duggan was getting 20+ touches last year. This year he doesn't look like getting 10. Yeo only looks likely to get a touch if he's flying for a pack mark. For a period in 2014 he was one of our best centre clearance mids.

What the * is happening with our team? It's worse than our drop off in 2013.

I'm hoping this will be a real wake up call. We're paying mediocre footy. Barrass put up a gutsy performance though.

Is it just me or are we just lacking intensity or speed or something? Especially to match it with the top 8.

+ we deserved to lose, by a lot, and somehow we didn't

- not getting behind the mark before kicking over the mark
- one step kicks
- flat footed ball receives
- calling for a kick whilst stationary
- weak tackling
- dropped chest marks
- can't get a clean shot at goal when outnumbering opposition forward of play on the fastbreak
- laconic captain

+ change of attitude can fix the negatives

-

Hurn is the absolute definition of fair weather captain this year. He is steering the ship in calm seas and sunny skies and then goes absolutely missing below deck when things get rough. He neither has the ability to marshall the troops or lead by example when the game is going against us.
Kennedy for captain next year.

Barass is a monster and a gun. I cannot recall a player with such a clean spoil - clears 10m each time.

Our mids like Redden and Duggan dont get many touches as we just dont share it around. There issue is not just them, its also Yeo, Masten and Jetta when he plays. I wonder if it is a structure/game plan issue - it could be because we have good key forwards that we kick to from the midfield and we run and share through the middle less than other sides.
WC also set up poorly at stoppages.

Under Pyke we seemed to screen better, work the ball at the back and attack with speed.

No NN and a change in coaching means rushed kicks, which are dpendant on gun forwards to convert. They do so.

I think we have adjusted to defend better, which has patched over the cracks of poor form. The getting numbers back and rebounding has worked well, given we cant relly on midfield dominance. It did come unstuck in the wet, however, our stoppage work could be way improved. Both in terms of setting, production and also educating and using Duggan, Redden and Jetta. Jetta especially gets burnt by players like Masto who try to do everything and need to be more team first

Remove this Banner Ad

Back