Strategy Position changes for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith to wing.
Hendo to wing.
VB to wing.
Martin to wing.

All rotating through HBF and HFF with the rest of the mid rotation and Mackay to the 2's.

2 mids in fwd line to rotate through midfield, so Charlie will need to improve his tank or Lynch run through the wing rotations.

No genuine 3rd tall forward, I repeat, no genuine 3rd tall forward.

Reilly wasn't best 22 last year. And also no, VB not as good in the air as Radar.

Yep. Certainly not as good in the air. When I posted I was thinking in extension of the.... ' Walsh has 182 game VB primed to hold together the raw and inexperienced Adelaide defence'. Foolishly I took it as read that the journalist had some genuine inside information......now I notice that it was Rucci. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Hendo should be put on a wing, let him play his natural game instead of trying to become a one on one defender.

You like your Rat don't you Peter.
True - but I am trying to be objective based in 4 things

1. He played that role in the 2's with success last year

2. We know PW loves the lefties and feels it opens up different angles when transitioning out of defence

3. He's come from a successful defensive model at Port with Pittard ( exact same size player too) as a left foot distributor

4. From the precious little info we do have, it appears that Rat has had an excellent PS and is knocking on the door.

So there it is - the straws I'm clutching at to support my bias! :)

Edit: 5. We also know he's considered one of the best kicks on the list

Last edited:

2. We know PW loves the lefties and feels it opens up different angles when transitioning out of defence

3. He's come from a successful defensive model at Port with Pittard ( exact same size player too) as a left foot distributor

4. From the precious little info we do have, it appears that Rat has had an excellent PS and is knocking on the door.

Becoming more like pieces of Rio than straw! He has said there may be some new faces. Atkins must be up there.

Well for me it went from hope to expectation when Ogilvie tipped him as good supercoach smokey.
I'm an advocate for your point 2. I have no doubt this strategy has to be implemented hence Wigg being targeted.

I know im a critic of Hendo but looks like hes had a good PS

Could PW open him up for the M White type role.

I think they upgrade around the bye in the past.

Pretty sure clubs get an additional mid-season upgrade come round 11 (or around that time) regardless of how many players on the LTI. Correct me if im wrong anybody.

I'd be very keen on us using Kerridge as a HFF, good defensive work and hits the scoreboard, makes our forward line unpredictable. We need to use him on the oppositions quarterback ( for want of a better word) and make that person accountable.

Like Like Like! He did a very good job on Birchall back in 2013. Perfectly suited to this role imo with some stints through the middle

Hendo should be put on a wing, let him play his natural game instead of trying to become a one on one defender.

Hopefully the addition of Cheney can really free Hendo up to play as our on quarterback and then push up onto a wing, and remove the need for him to defend first and then rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the addition of Cheney can really free Hendo up to play as our on quarterback and then push up onto a wing, and remove the need for him to defend first and then rebound.
Not so sure I like that idea. Someone in the Reilly thread commented that one of the prerequisites for playing the spare man in defence (AKA the quarterback) is a willingness to place your body in front of an oncoming pack. I still have shudders remembering Henderson's response to hearing footsteps coming a few years back. Sorry, but I do NOT want Henderson to be placed in that position again. He has many strengths, but innate physical courage and the willingness to put his body on the line with a pack bearing down on him isn't one of them.

Not so sure I like that idea. Someone in the Reilly thread commented that one of the prerequisites for playing the spare man in defence (AKA the quarterback) is a willingness to place your body in front of an oncoming pack. I still have shudders remembering Henderson's response to hearing footsteps coming a few years back. Sorry, but I do NOT want Henderson to be placed in that position again. He has many strengths, but innate physical courage and the willingness to put his body on the line with a pack bearing down on him isn't one of them.

Im hoping to see him have to do as little defending as possible. Main focus is intercept possessions and rebounding. Think matt suckling type role, not a great defender by any means, but his kicking is elite and Hawks back 6 is good enough to carry an average defender within their unit.

Edit: 5. We also know he's considered one of the best kicks on the list
Looking forward to seeing him play, sounds like he has some class and swagger. How are his defensive skills ?

I want a tougher streak in defence which I think Cheney and even Sloane and Kelly might provide if given a role back there. More outside run in mid through smith and Hendo at times and love the idea of kerridge forward and getting dangerous yet accountable on the opposition's best ball users like malceski, hurn etc.

Can anyone recall VB's early career form in defence ??? (backed by evidence) I seem to recall people thinking he'd have the right tools to be a small defender but him struggling in the role and hence moving further up the ground with more success ?? Too long ago to remember with clarity

I want a tougher streak in defence which I think Cheney and even Sloane and Kelly might provide if given a role back there. More outside run in mid through smith and Hendo at times and love the idea of kerridge forward and getting dangerous yet accountable on the opposition's best ball users like malceski, hurn etc.

Can anyone recall VB's early career form in defence ??? (backed by evidence) I seem to recall people thinking he'd have the right tools to be a small defender but him struggling in the role and hence moving further up the ground with more success ?? Too long ago to remember with clarity
Vb played consistent footy in defence. Reads ball well, good overhead, provides run & generally good use of the ball. Will toughen up the defensive unit & provide needed experience.

I disagree with that. Henderson may not have the physical presence of Reilly (he doesn't lay the big tackles and bowl blokes over), but I have seen him put his body on the line on numerous occasions. He is also a good contested mark which is a very important ability to have as the loose defender.

I disagree with that. Henderson may not have the physical presence of Reilly (he doesn't lay the big tackles and bowl blokes over), but I have seen him put his body on the line on numerous occasions. He is also a good contested mark which is a very important ability to have as the loose defender.
I don't doubt that he has put his body on the line on numerous occasions, or that he is capable of taking a good contested mark. The question is whether or not he can be relied upon to do so every time he needs to, and we've seen him squib it far too many times in the past for him to be trusted. If you're going to be playing a role where you know you will be regularly in harms way, then you can't afford to pick & choose when to stand your ground.

Yep, 40 down to 30. Ramsey and kelly are the logical upgrades but traditionally we only do so if they're playing, so I don't expect any movement on it any time soon.

Reckon if anything Kelly would be the only one. Ramsey isnt going to play AFL. Kelly is almost a two birds with one stone. He can play a bit taller as a 3rd tall drop off defender (Otten), and can play on the medium and small forwards like Reilly.

I don't doubt that he has put his body on the line on numerous occasions, or that he is capable of taking a good contested mark. The question is whether or not he can be relied upon to do so every time he needs to, and we've seen him squib it far too many times in the past for him to be trusted. If you're going to be playing a role where you know you will be regularly in harms way, then you can't afford to pick & choose when to stand your ground.

My recollection is that he went through a dicey period after coming back from a serious injury--bad concussion I think. I don't think he is the squib you make him out to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back