Opinion Positional changes you would like to see in the NAB challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

mad4freo

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would like to see a few positional experiments made in the NAB challenge. The three I would like to see are de Boer tagging, Walters in Midfield and Hill or Pearce off half back. Don't know exactly how well they will work out would just like to see what happens.

theridge

Debutant
Dec 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agreey with our idea of Walters and think that it's likely with the way ross has spoken about him in the past. I also like the idea of hill in defence but think he'd only be good as a loose man which is a little too similar to what Duffield and ibo do at times. I'm assuming your talking about D Pearce? I don't think that he is good enough under pressure as it is and don't like the idea if him fumbling in our defence. But then again I'm not a huge fan of him in the first place.

mad4freo

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agreey with our idea of Walters and think that it's likely with the way ross has spoken about him in the past. I also like the idea of hill in defence but think he'd only be good as a loose man which is a little too similar to what Duffield and ibo do at times. I'm assuming your talking about D Pearce? I don't think that he is good enough under pressure as it is and don't like the idea if him fumbling in our defence. But then again I'm not a huge fan of him in the first place.
The more I think of it the more I am liking the idea of Hill playing halfback. He would break lines with ease and give us some pace and poise coming of halfback sort of like Hawthorn have when Hodge and Mitchell play half back and control the game. It also would also open up a spot in the side for someone else maybe Weller (if ready), Morabito, Sheridan, Crozier or Duffy.

theridge

Debutant
Dec 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I do like the I idea of hill breaking the lines out of defence. Kind of like a yarran for carlton. It does suit our style of play.

Could Sylvia play down back? Probably as the loose type. Playing down back filling the holes could help him get his touch.

mad4freo

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I do like the I idea of hill breaking the lines out of defence. Kind of like a yarran for carlton. It does suit our style of play.

Could Sylvia play down back? Probably as the loose type. Playing down back filling the holes could help him get his touch.
Maybe try some of our utilities on halfback in the NAB challenge. Like Sylvia, Morabito, Suban, C. Pearce.

Putting Hill at HB removes him from the I50 kick that he's stunning at. Sure he can link up from HB forward during a running transition, but his spot up kicks from the wing into the forward line are a thing of beauty

We need a Hill at HB kicking to a Hill on the wing delivering to a leading forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Nobody tags in the preseason. Be interesting to see what happens with De Boer as it looked like he was re - signed a bit reluctantly. If he gets decent game time then it is a positive and a credit to him.

MadDocker

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy to half back, DeBoer into Crowleys roll, Fyfe more forward, Crozier/Sheridan/Sylvia into the middle, Tabs/Ape in the forward line, SCOS/Pearce in the back line, Mora given a run wherever they see fit.

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alex Pearce tried in MJ's role as third tall up but somehow we use another distributor by foot mostly ( duff man )
Sheridan on the opposite wing to hill
Walters for a stint in the midfield
Crozier / Duffy to replace Walters forward

I think we need to test tanner smith out now to see if he's worth persisting with. Injuries have hidden his talent level so far IMO, if like to see some of him at nab cup level to see where he's at

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Mundy to half back, DeBoer into Crowleys roll, Fyfe more forward, Crozier/Sheridan/Sylvia into the middle, Tabs/Ape in the forward line, SCOS/Pearce in the back line, Mora given a run wherever they see fit.

Like these, only addition would be JDC in a pocket. I really want to see Pearce in particular.

mad4freo

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spurr Silvagni Ibo
Hill Smith Hughes
Weller Blakely D.Pearce
Morabito Taberner Duffy
Langdon Apeness Deluca

Clarke Ballard Walters

Sylvia Crozier Sheridan A.Pearce

This team would super exciting to watch even if we lose to the dees. Although some of C.Pearce, deBoer, Suban, Mzungu will probably play.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Morabito as an inside mid. His combination of speed and strength would be great.

Walters playing as a high half forward, I think getting the ball into his hands more would be great for us.

Mundy rotating through the back line, Fyfe playing forward more.
de Boer playing as a tagger and inside mid.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would only play guys at half back if they are good marks overhead and very good at executing the right decision by foot.
Exactly, a half back shouldn't be a taller back pocket or rangier key defender – they have to have the ability to get touches below the knee, to have a bit of rebound, to have the confidence to take a bounce up to the Toyota sign, and the ability to hit a pearler. Sutcliffe ticks most boxes there but for now I think Duff is a good asset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back