Positive COVID case at MCG for Collingwood vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The virus can linger longer and spread more in confined spaces with inadequate ventilation. I think there's less chances of that in open areas, even if there's crowding as people are generally moving quickly.

Thumbs up to wearing a mask a little further out.

So assuming you don't shake hands with anyone carrying the virus your low risk being outdoors.

I've always felt the mask at the game was a token effort, and main risk being outside as no one is wearing a mask, and social distancing goes out the door as we shuffle along for a few minutes walking as a crowded herd to and from the game, particularly post game with everyone leaving at the same time. Possibly the bars and restaurants before and after the game another potential risk.

Inside the stadium feels ok to me, most people keep their space, only risk I could see is the dunny run during the quarter time breaks that can get a bit tight.

As mentioned elsewhere chances are low, but collectively we should be doing everything we can to minimise the risk. I'd hate to think of the consequences if 3 or 4 separate people from separate families picked it up.

I suppose it's not until after the Geelong game that we'd know for sure 🤔

Haha what? That doesn't even make sense.

People who have been nowhere they could possibly get it, then others who have only attended the mcg and been nowhere near the one "case" can't go and are being put under harsher restrictions than people who live there. You lecture me about smart decisions and government overreach in the face of that, there's no science behind today's change for SA at 5pm for the majority of people.
Thanks Einstein

I'll preface this by saying everyone is entitled to make their own choices, but ...

Not going to the footy on Sunday because maybe a dozen of the couple of hundred supporters who were at the 'G on Sunday might ignore the advice and go anyway, when all have presumably tested negative to the virus and all were statistically extremely unlikely to have the virus to begin with, is pretty dumb. If you're going to act with that sort of caution then you might as well just lock yourself in your house forever because for all you know the latest breach of hotel quarantine in SA has already happened, the virus is already floating around the community and you won't know about it for a week.

I'll preface this by saying everyone is entitled to make their own choices, but ...

Not going to the footy on Sunday because maybe a dozen of the couple of hundred supporters who were at the 'G on Sunday might ignore the advice and go anyway, when all have presumably tested negative to the virus and all were statistically extremely unlikely to have the virus to begin with, is pretty dumb. If you're going to act with that sort of caution then you might as well just lock yourself in your house forever because for all you know the latest breach of hotel quarantine in SA has already happened, the virus is already floating around the community and you won't know about it for a week.

I have tested negative and will prob test negative again on Saturday (day 5 test), but I will do the right thing and not go Sunday.

I have tested negative and will prob test negative again on Saturday (day 5 test), but I will do the right thing and not go Sunday.
The two us of who were at the game tested negative as well. We asked the hotline this morning what day counts as day 1, was it the exposure day which was Sunday, our arrival back in sa which was Monday, or the date of our first covid test which was Wednesday. Our advice was that day 1 of isolation was Wednesday and that the 5 day test was on sunday. Which means we have to isolate for 14 days from Wednesday. Bizarrely though they have said that my wife and daughter, who are living with us, sharing the same house and rooms etc don’t need to stay home at all. They can go back to school and work. Obviously sa health think the likelihood of us having the virus is low enough to let them out, but not me.

The advice we are all getting seems to depend on who you ask.

I work for a public hospital and called the staff health team this morning for advice. They told me that having returned a negative I am no longer housebound, but I cannot attend any high risk sites (i.e. public hospitals, aged care facilities) or any major event site (i.e. the football) for 14 days after returning. So, whilst I am allowed to leave the house I cannot attend the footy.

It will be the first home game I've missed since 2010 (I attended all the games last season), so it will be super surreal not to be there, but this is the medical advice I've received and as frustrating as it will be not to be at the game I intend to follow the advice.

The two us of who were at the game tested negative as well. We asked the hotline this morning what day counts as day 1, was it the exposure day which was Sunday, our arrival back in sa which was Monday, or the date of our first covid test which was Wednesday. Our advice was that day 1 of isolation was Wednesday and that the 5 day test was on sunday. Which means we have to isolate for 14 days from Wednesday. Bizarrely though they have said that my wife and daughter, who are living with us, sharing the same house and rooms etc don’t need to stay home at all. They can go back to school and work. Obviously sa health think the likelihood of us having the virus is low enough to let them out, but not me.
Were you a tier 1 or tier 2 exposure? I was tier 3, so my timelines are the same as yours, but given i have had a negative result last night, i dont need to isolate anymore. I am just not permitted to go to events with Covid Management Plans or places like nursing homes etc. The way i have read it is i am free to do anything else.... if this is not correct - someone let me know :)

Already have 1 friend not going Sunday cos she is worried about covid... Which is fair enough but I'll be there... * Freo. (I didn't go to Collingwood game)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were you a tier 1 or tier 2 exposure? I was tier 3, so my timelines are the same as yours, but given i have had a negative result last night, i dont need to isolate anymore. I am just not permitted to go to events with Covid Management Plans or places like nursing homes etc. The way i have read it is i am free to do anything else.... if this is not correct - someone let me know :)
Tier 2, but if they can’t even get the info about the timelines the same what other info have they gotten confused? My father that was at the game with us was told that his second test was due Friday, because of his return date.

Tier 2, but if they can’t even get the info about the timelines the same what other info have they gotten confused? My father that was at the game with us was told that his second test was due Friday, because of his return date.

Yep, tier 3 means you haven't been exposed but were at an event where someone was positive, so you don't have to do anything post the first negative test.

Just got off a phone call from SA Health. We will all be quarantined at home until next Sunday. 14 days of home detention

Yeah, totally not the same. If there are no cases in SA, you can assume the risk is minimal or zero. If you are going to an event where you can be seated next to someone that has been in a virus hot spot, the risk is a lot higher. That's how these outbreaks start.

Yeah, totally not the same. If there are no cases in SA, you can assume the risk is minimal or zero. If you are going to an event where you can be seated next to someone that has been in a virus hot spot, the risk is a lot higher. That's how these outbreaks start.
Exactly this. My bay (123) is next to the cheer squad's bay. Is the chance of getting Covid at the Freo game low? Sure. But using the example of a few posters on here, even our supporter base has idiots who cannot be relied on to do the right thing by others.

The club needs to make it crystal clear that if you went to last weekends game, or were in the greater Melbourne or greater Bendigo area at all, you are not permitted to go to the Freo game on Sunday.

It only takes one person to go to the Collingwood game, catch the virus, not get tested and go to the Freo game to spread this.
How would you like it if your parents or kids sat next to that person at the game.

And yeh, assuming some level of stupidity in a pandemic is a wise call.

If they do that it will actually raise the level of confidence of those that are planning to go.

Interesting that looking at the SA Health Covid management plan events that every other SANFL ground is listed apart from Alberton, so someone who has been to vic and is banned from COVID management events can go to Alberton on Sat, but then not to Port v Freo..?

I was more worried I would catch stupid from Slappingtape tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back