Positive covid test

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth noting on a PPG basis we are now 9th and could drop to 10th if the Suns win. Given there’s a real chance that the match isn’t made up before the finals it could be very important.

I feel relieved that we aren't playing this week now. Plus now we get two weeks to prepare for those scumbags Geelong. This is my final. Too many mates support those pricks. Goody would have been in the lab all last night, copy and pasting Carlton's game plan, the bloke's a genius. You don't go giving Goody two weeks to prepare, far too dangerous. I expect us to win by 47 points.

Last edited:
AFL were planning to provide the next 1-2 rounds of fixture early this week but that will be on hold until they know whether the Carlton Essendon can go ahead this week.

Everyone that’s come into contact with McKenna has to isolate for two weeks. We’re so lucky that this came out before the game.

Anyone that DHHS deems as a close contact which at this stage is at a minimum the 7 team mates he trained with on Friday

Also fixture is further complicated with round 5 ess vs pies on the Friday night which is 2 weeks from the positive test

Means McKenna and anyone deemed close contact would only be out of guarantee on the day of the game or 24 hours prior

Also fixture is further complicated with round 5 ess vs pies on the Friday night which is 2 weeks from the positive test

Means McKenna and anyone deemed close contact would only be out of guarantee on the day of the game or 24 hours prior
I assume that’s the least of their worries, can just shuffle games around.

Saturday > Friday: Carlton v Saints
Sunday > Saturday: Crows v Fremantle
Friday > Sunday: Essendon v Collingwood

Or even play it as a Monday night fixture if necessary. Greater issue is that they can even train together before then.

I assume that’s the least of their worries, can just shuffle games around.

Saturday > Friday: Carlton v Saints
Sunday > Saturday: Crows v Fremantle
Friday > Sunday: Essendon v Collingwood

Or even play it as a Monday night fixture if necessary. Greater issue is that they can even train together before then.

AFL have stated if they can field 22 plus emergencies then it’s play on then bad luck to Essendon on the back of advice from CMO

2020 season is done.

Melbourne and Essendon cannot just play a mid week game later on. You can't have 2 teams play 3 games within a 10 day period, while the rest of the comp have normal breaks. WA teams already have to isolate on return to Perth. The whole thing just wont work.

The AFL should bring out an Exhibition type fixture with no finals to keep a little bit of money rolling in.

Seems pretty easy to organise your list into groups of 8-9 for training where no group getting ruled out would significantly harm your gameday chances more than injuries to key players normally would.

Group 1: Lever, Oliver, Preuss, Pickett, J Smith, vandenBerg, Hunt, C Wagner
Group 2: May, Viney, Jackson, Langdon, ANB, Lockhart, Brown, K Chandler, Spargo
Group 3: Harmes, Gawn, Sparrow, Petty, Bedford, Hibberd, Fritsch, J Wagner, Baker
Group 4: T McDonald, Brayshaw, Salem, Tomlinson, Bennell, Jordon, Hore, K Dunkley,
Group 5: Petracca, Weideman, Rivers, Jones, Hannan, Melksham, O McDonald, Jetta, Bradtke

Bit of a stupid exercise and needs some tinkering but the point is that if one of these groups couldn't play for a week or two I don't think we'd be entirely screwed structurally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel relieved that we aren't playing this week now. Plus now we get two weeks to prepare for those scumbags Geelong. This is my final. Too many mates support those pricks. Goody would have been in the lab all last night, copy and pasting Carlton's game plan, the bloke's a genius. You don't go giving Goody two weeks to prepare, far too dangerous. I expect us to win by 47 points.
Terrific post

Apparently McKenna visited an open house inspection, and then visited friends and family. This is just days after another player (zerk- Thatcher) breached the rules and had Essendon officials warning their players not to break the rules further.

This blatant disregard from McKenna should see him punished, the club punished and a warning to clubs going forward that future disregard for the rules will result in forfeiting points. And I say this the same as I would Melbourne players did the same thing. Meanwhile clubs from S.A. and wa have effectively moved to qld to keep the season going, foregoing the chance to see their own friends and family for 5-6 weeks.

I can't see how this slides and Essendon aren't penalised. The fact they will have to play without their best players for 2 weeks is a good outcome for them, without a penalty. For a player breaching the rules like this and holding up a whole season, especially after being heavily warned by his club, should see harsh penalties handed down to both player and club.

Or am I overreacting cos I hate Essendon?

2020 season is done.

Melbourne and Essendon cannot just play a mid week game later on. You can't have 2 teams play 3 games within a 10 day period, while the rest of the comp have normal breaks. WA teams already have to isolate on return to Perth. The whole thing just wont work.

The AFL should bring out an Exhibition type fixture with no finals to keep a little bit of money rolling in.
It'll be tough, but with the staggered fixture they could have all teams play a few games in quick succession for it to be 'even'. Maybe once teams head back to WA/SA the whole comp moves west for a few weeks and they slam in 3-4 games each in a 2-3 weeks. All clubs will have quarantine times either side as 'byes' effectively. The league could hold games every night which could be tempting to broadcasters?

That's a bit of a ramble, but my point is there's ways they could who've in an extra game midweek and make it workable. Getting out of Victoria might be necessary anyway if cases continue rising steadily over the next couple of weeks.

Apparently McKenna visited an open house inspection, and then visited friends and family. This is just days after another player (zerk- Thatcher) breached the rules and had Essendon officials warning their players not to break the rules further.

This blatant disregard from McKenna should see him punished, the club punished and a warning to clubs going forward that future disregard for the rules will result in forfeiting points. And I say this the same as I would Melbourne players did the same thing. Meanwhile clubs from S.A. and wa have effectively moved to qld to keep the season going, foregoing the chance to see their own friends and family for 5-6 weeks.

I can't see how this slides and Essendon aren't penalised. The fact they will have to play without their best players for 2 weeks is a good outcome for them, without a penalty. For a player breaching the rules like this and holding up a whole season, especially after being heavily warned by his club, should see harsh penalties handed down to both player and club.

Don’t agree Essendon should be punished as a club unless they specifically broke rules

McKenna should face significant penalties if he is found guilty of breaching the rules

Your point around players in hubs not seeing family so the season can go ahead and McKenna disregards the rules. If played for wce freo pa or crows I’d be filthy

Seems pretty easy to organise your list into groups of 8-9 for training where no group getting ruled out would significantly harm your gameday chances more than injuries to key players normally would.

Group 1: Lever, Oliver, Preuss, Pickett, J Smith, vandenBerg, Hunt, C Wagner
Group 2: May, Viney, Jackson, Langdon, ANB, Lockhart, Brown, K Chandler, Spargo
Group 3: Harmes, Gawn, Sparrow, Petty, Bedford, Hibberd, Fritsch, J Wagner, Baker
Group 4: T McDonald, Brayshaw, Salem, Tomlinson, Bennell, Jordon, Hore, K Dunkley,
Group 5: Petracca, Weideman, Rivers, Jones, Hannan, Melksham, O McDonald, Jetta, Bradtke

Bit of a stupid exercise and needs some tinkering but the point is that if one of these groups couldn't play for a week or two I don't think we'd be entirely screwed structurally.

The club could of organised that from day one but preferred to have players train in their groups based on positions

Definitely risky but if players follow the rules chances of contracting covid are greatly reduced

The club could of organised that from day one but preferred to have players train in their groups based on positions

Definitely risky but if players follow the rules chances of contracting covid are greatly reduced
It's what the league advised. Essendon had Hurley, Hooker, Ridley, McKenna, Saad and Redman in one group. That's six defenders. It's on them.

It's what the league advised. Essendon had Hurley, Hooker, Ridley, McKenna, Saad and Redman in one group. That's six defenders. It's on them.

I’m not saying your wrong, but clubs are weighing up risk vs reward

Obviously much better having your groups of players from positions from a synergy point of view

If McKenna followed the rules the AFL wouldn’t be in this position

No you're not, couldn't agree more. He's brought the game/fixture into disrepute. I'd suspended McKenna for the remainder of the season and beyond if I was the AFL.

I'd also slap Essendon with a fine if we weren't in such dire times, but feel that would be going a bit overboard with how things currently stand. But to send a clear message McKenna needs a massively severe suspension.

Don’t agree Essendon should be punished as a club unless they specifically broke rules

McKenna should face significant penalties if he is found guilty of breaching the rules

Your point around players in hubs not seeing family so the season can go ahead and McKenna disregards the rules. If played for wce freo pa or crows I’d be filthy
They should forfeit the 4 points to us. Why should we be forced to squeeze in games at a later date because an Essendon player tests positive? As far as I'm concerned, any fairness or integrity left in this season has left the building. Essendon should have been all over McKenna on his return to make sure he was testing negative before training with a group - for their own protection if not everybody else's .

There has to be some penalty to the club. If one of our players derailed the season, I'd expect us to pay a price too.

Last edited:
They should forfeit the 4 points to us. Why should we be forced to squeeze in games at a later date because an Essendon player broke the rules? As far as I'm concerned, any fairness or integrity left in this season has left the building. Essendon should have been all over McKenna on his return to make sure he was complying with all rules - for their own protection if not everybody else's.(why wasn't he in full lockdown for 2 weeks anyway?)

There has to be some penalty to the club. This is not a random accident. It was preventable. If one of our players f**ked up, I'd expect us to pay a price too.

this has nothing to do with McKenna returning from overseas

he did quarantine for 2 weeks and tested negative 5 times since finishing his mandatory isolation

You seriously can’t expect the clubs to monitor all players 24/7 Nor should entire clubs pay the price of 4 points because of one player

AFL won’t force a forfeit they need to televise every game they can this year

this has nothing to do with McKenna returning from overseas

he did quarantine for 2 weeks and tested negative 5 times since finishing his mandatory isolation

You seriously can’t expect the clubs to monitor all players 24/7 Nor should entire clubs pay the price of 4 points because of one player

AFL won’t force a forfeit they need to televise every game they can this year
The thing that is s**t is we are getting penalised because of the actions of a player from another club. That just doesn't seem fair but I dont know what the punishment should be to be honest

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back