Opinion Positive outcomes of the saga

Remove this Banner Ad

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Okay we all know the bad that happened and we are finally passed it.

But may I say that this is probably the best state that the club has been in since 2004. We are actually assembling a talented side with a goal to achieve something. We have a proven coach that has experience in turning a club around quickly. We are close to breaking our record membership number before the season even starts. The returning players have regained their passion. The younger guys are competing hard for a spot in the side.

Prior to the saga, the club still looked like the team that lived off its past achievements with expectation that things will fall into place for us. Since the saga, they have woken up and realised how far behind we have fallen by being too complacent.

Just have a look at our drafting from 2009-2012 and compare it to 2013-2016.

Just as a reference, I'll post the position that we've finished in each of those years so that there is some context. Mind you, we had draft sanctions in 2013 and 2014.

2009 - 8th
2010 - 14th
2011 - 8th
2012 - 11th

2013 - 7th
2014 - 7th

2015 - 15th
2016 - 18th

So it is pretty similar. 2 top 8 finishes each, even though are draft position didn't really count
So this is our draft performance. For obvious reasons, 2016 is not included. I will write those that are still on an AFL list or look like they will make it IMO. Bolded are likely best 22 this year for whatever team they play for.

10 - Jake Melksham
24 - Jake Carlisle
26 - Travis Colyer (He'll start best 22, but I am not sure if he will be a start up every week)

Rookie:

Ben Howlett, Stewart Crameri

8 Dyson Heppell

Rookie: Michael Hibberd, Josh Jenkins

31 Jackson Merrett

Rookie:

Mark Baguley (debatable whether best 22 now, but certainly not a fail)

10 Joe Daniher F/S
53 Martin Gleeson

That is a shocking run to be honest, especially 2011/2012. Only 7 straight best 22, with only 3 of them still at the club. 2009 was okay, but the best two players we picked from that draft in Crameri and Carlisle are at other clubs now. In fact, I'd say the top 5 players (not including F/S in Daniher) are Heppell, Carlisle, Crameri, Jenkins and Hibberd from that period. Heppell is the only one left.

Now let's look at 2013-2015 (even with draft restrictions):

2013:
26 Zach Merrett
55 Orazio Fantasia

Rookie:

Patrick Ambrose (arguably pushing best 22. Gave Brown the spot).

17 Kyle Langford
20 Jayden Laverde

Rookie:

Shaun McKernan (expect him to be delisted in the next couple of years though)
Jake Long

5 Darcy Parish
6 Aaron Francis (Would be very close if he can stay on the park)
29 Alex Morgan
30 Mason Redman
54 Mitchell Brown
68 Michael Hartley

Rookie:

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

That is 8 players in 3 years with draft sanctions compared to 4 years for 7 without draft sanctions. And that is despite the 2015 draftees having only a year at the club. Now I didn't forget about the compromised drafts, but we've managed to find great players later in the draft recently, so that isn't much of an excuse.

It is amazing to see so many recent draftees playing senior football and stepping up without needing to spend much time in the VFL.

Another positive outcome of the saga is the fast-tracked development of the youth.

Even if we don't do too well this year, it does have me finally excited.

2016: Begley and McGrath are probably in the starting 22? It really goes to show that it takes time to become a good recruiter, I'm glad Dodoro was given time to become the Essendon man that he is now, he's one of the most crucial people at the club now, as far as our future goes. I hope we do everything we can to keep him.

Colyer will play more games than Langford, Laverde and Brown
Can't agree. I see Langverde playing 22 games; I expect Colyer to be out of the side by year's end honestly.

I think Laverde will play all season if he stays healthy. Langford might get dropped a few times, he kind of struggles to put it together at the moment for mine, however I think he eventually will. Colyer is best 15 IMO.

For me there are very few positives.

1. The club is probably now one of the best run clubs in the league with a clear org structure, appropriate governance at all levels and clear lines of responsibility.
  2. The returning players actually returned
  3. We've somehow retained and gained sponsors throughout
  4. The club actually survived
Other than that, there's bugger all. The last 4 years haven't been great for supporters, it's been worse for the club. Somehow we've come out the other end in reasonably strong shape all things considered, but I wouldn't wish what our club has been through upon anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colyer not best 22? Having a laff mate.
He is right now; however there's no guarantee he will be at years end.

There's no guarantee anyone will be at years end.

He's best 22.
I'd say Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Merrett, Daniher, Leuenberger, Fantasia, Parish all would be.

I'd say Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Merrett, Daniher, Leuenberger, Fantasia, Parish all would be.
So if Parish gets 8 touches a game all year he'll still be playing seniors?

Nobody is a lock for best 22. Everyone plays on form, some get more leeway than others due to past performances and name but nobody is guaranteed to be locked in.

As it stands right now, Colyer is best 22, quite easily might I add.

So if Parish gets 8 touches a game all year he'll still be playing seniors?

Nobody is a lock for best 22. Everyone plays on form, some get more leeway than others due to past performances and name but nobody is guaranteed to be locked in.

As it stands right now, Colyer is best 22, quite easily might I add.
Parish has shown that he'd be considered a lock. As much as I'd love that to be the case; there are definitely locks in the 22. It's just the way it is.

I wouldn't say "quite easily". For me he's in our bottom 6 of the 22, but again, wouldn't be surprised to see him out of it by the end of the year.

BACK ON TOPIC

I was living in Sydney for most of it. Positive that I didn't have people in my face about it. Instead it was "how bout dem sharks" and I'm like m8 NRL is the plebbyist sport on the face of the earth. Then the campaigner would glass me.

Better outcome than I expected.

Parish has shown that he'd be considered a lock. As much as I'd love that to be the case; there are definitely locks in the 22. It's just the way it is.

I wouldn't say "quite easily". For me he's in our bottom 6 of the 22, but again, wouldn't be surprised to see him out of it by the end of the year.
I think you are either forgetting the form he showed before suspensions went down. He's a line breaking goal kicking midfielder.

Bottom 6? If he's bottom 6 of our best 22, our best 22 is right up there and we'll be fighting for a flag this season.

I think you are either forgetting the form he showed before suspensions went down. He's a line breaking goal kicking midfielder.

Bottom 6? If he's bottom 6 of our best 22, our best 22 is right up there and we'll be fighting for a flag this season.
Nope. He was good in that time; although a tad overrated due to really being the only player with line breaking speed. I'd say he's in the bottom 6; which is a very good thing for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back