Opinion Positive outcomes of the saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope. He was good in that time; although a tad overrated due to really being the only player with line breaking speed. I'd say he's in the bottom 6; which is a very good thing for us.

Personally I think Trav is our Hills/Smith - cream on top of the hardworking inside mids. He is best 22 and will likely improve with a better side around him together with the zones teams implement and our current game style of running our of the back half and link up hand passes.

Can look very average in a poor team (aside from a flashy plays) but will respond to having better players along side him and if he is looking dangerous it's unlikely the opposition will pay much attention to him with the ilk of our other mids.

I see Walla being in forward 50, Raz splitting his time between mid/fwd and Trav playing on the wing and maybe HFF. This may change if Green plays in the pocket put I think the likely change would be Walla being the utility and shifting to HFF, HBF or a stint in the centre but I doubt Colyer will be dropped.

It might just be me, but I'm not sure if Dapperlong intended this thread to be hijacked into a long back and forth about Colyer's spot in the 22.

Because exactly the same discussion can be had in the best 22 thread, or Colyer's thread.

Got rid of Jake Carlisle.

Positives:
No longer a "job for the boys" club. (In important roles, not marketing gimmicks)
Made people wake up and realise just being Essendon isn't enough for success
Excellent recruiting made the blows feel much less hurtful.
Kept the majority of the playing group together.
Hopefully a wake up for the entire league to not be sloppy with sports science
Beat Carlton with our best 10 players suspended

Who did Patrick Smith barrack for previously? Please don't let it be us....
Yeah it was us.

Supported us for his entire life then jumped onto Richmond

The only real positive is list turnover.

I'd like to say that the AFL were exposed for being manipulative, unethical campaigners but it's only Essendon fans who seem to care.

This is a great thread idea. Possible my favourite thread ever. Always have to look at the positives of any situation even if outweighed by the negatives.

Correct me if i'm wrong on any of the below.

Positives I see are as follows approximately in order of most positive:

1. Number 1 draft pick i.e. Mcgrath. (also meant we got early second rounder, third rounder etc). Looks like Ridley and Begley will be great players, and hopefully Mutch and Clarke.

2. We wouldn't have been in a position to draft Parish (already a gun) or Francis (will be a gun). Logic being the saga affected our performance and caused us to finish near the bottom in 2015 + Carlisle left)

3. I don't think we would have had Laverde or Langford (although I'm not sure about that and still not convinced they will turn out to be great players).

4. We probably wouldn't have been able to play Walla in just about every game last year. We may not have drafted him at all.

5. We wouldn't have Kelly who is a great player and leader.

6. don't think we would have had Mitch Brown who is handy or Hartley who is a great player. And Matty Dea is handy - we may not have had him.

7. A possible positive is the mental and physical rest the banned players had. But this remains to be seen imo.

Arguably as a result of the above we may not have had the depth we look like having now if not for the SAGA.

Some of the above is based on the on field impact that the SAGA had - i.e. we may have performed better and not been able to draft some of the above players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives for me would be Raz, Hartley and Carlisle. While i don't see Hartley becoming as good as Carlisle, finding a ready made 10 yr KPD the same year as losing one was fantastic drafting by dodo. Meanwhile getting maximum value for Carlisle (ty stkilda & sydney) allowed us to get someone who i hope becomes a Chad Cornes like utility.

BACK ON TOPIC

I was living in Sydney for most of it. Positive that I didn't have people in my face about it. Instead it was "how bout dem sharks" and I'm like m8 NRL is the plebbyist sport on the face of the earth. Then the campaigner would glass me.

Better outcome than I expected.
I didn't know you'd been hanging out with Todd Carney

As a supporter base we are probably more closely connected/more of a * the rest mentality.

Club appears to be more professionally run looking from the outside. Not just a job for the boys show.

Recruiting seems to have been successful through the period.

Carlton, collingwood and richmond were also useless during the time.

Somehow players decided to stay (as a result of wanting to stick together)

Wish we never went through it though. Horrible 4 years.

It might just be me, but I'm not sure if Dapperlong intended this thread to be hijacked into a long back and forth about Colyer's spot in the 22.

Because exactly the same discussion can be had in the best 22 thread, or Colyer's thread.
Correct. I mean I did put a comment next to his name to appease both sides of the argument

Last edited:
This is a great thread idea. Possible my favourite thread ever.
raw

The huge amount of gainz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back