Travel Positive Travel Experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Enough of the negative what are some of your favourite holiday travels? Home or abroad?

Me..............

Skydiving over Far North QLD.
White Water Rafting in Bali
Scuba in Thailand
WWR but with a boogie board in NZ
Glass tower in Macau
Roof top hotel in Vietnam

Beaches in Far South Coast NSW......................

Over to you.

Having my ex gf’s father pay for ALL of my Xmas trip in 2010

Staying in a French ski resort in a fully catered house, 10 days of skiing, delicious food and wine, and then 10 days in Barcelona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having my ex gf’s father pay for ALL of my Xmas trip in 2010

Staying in a French ski resort in a fully catered house, 10 days of skiing, delicious food and wine, and then 10 days in Barcelona

Also, year 10 camp. Hiking for a week in Karajini national park, sleeping under the stars, paddling down the river every day on our air mattresses we slept on

- Setting foot on the Antarctic Peninsula
- Scooting about on a zodiac just metres from leopard seals resting on icebergs and having Humpbacks diving all around you.
- Riding a bike down the Yungas Death Road outside of LaPaz Bolivia
- Your first glimpse of places like Machu Picchu, the Grand Canyon, Iguazu Falls, The Empire State Building, Teotichucan
-The Scottish Highlands, Cuba, The Andes, The Swiss Alps, The Atacama Desert.

Our world is amazing.
I’ve travelled a fair bit... but then I’ve never been to Africa, never to India/Nepal, never New Zealand, no Pacific Islands, no Japan/Korea/Hong Kong, no Russia, no Middle East, no Central Asia.
So there’s plenty left to see.

Last edited:
Just meeting up with random people from across the world and sharing a meal and a beer in general.

A personal favourite was in Salzburg in early January, its minus 6 outside I'm at a bar with some people from my hostel having a meal and a few beers to celebrate our last night in town before we all go our separate ways and I realise I'm out of Euros for more beer so I excuse myself, say I'm heading to the ATM and sprint 500m to it and get some cash. Only once the cash is in my hands does the cold hit me. In only jeans and a shirt (no gloves or jacket) the energy I had to get to the ATM has gone and boy was that the coldest I have ever been. But at least I have enough euros to enough the rest of what turns out to be a great night with what turned out be great people.

- the whole holiday in 2009 with my then bf on the gold coast. Was just perfect, including a skydive over Byron Bay. Such great memories, that one week.
- Pretty much all of my experiences in the States- no horror stories to report, each time I went over there was just a positive experience. Loved the cities of NYC, Chicago and my time as a camp counsellor in Michigan and Boca Raton FL. Went white water rafting (twice), horse riding, etc.
- Spending time with close friends in the north of England, staying in their house.
- Paragliding over gorgeous countryside of Austria.
- Getting off my tour, to relax (and remain in the one spot for more than a day!) in Santorini. 8 days in total, on my own, was ******* bliss.

1005173_10152956810705291_1803487932_n.jpg

1010643_10152956810955291_1467555151_n.jpg
580187_10152956800755291_708275592_n.jpg
25564_499724370290_2253337_n.jpg

Some pics of what I described above.

Great thread Run n Spread

Buying a Combi in London and spending nearly a year driving around Europe then selling it and buying a car in Florida and driving to California and a bus to Mexico for a month
Spending another year in Europe catching trains
Another round the world trip 2 months going to favourite places for a week
Home for 2 weeks and off to India for 5 weeks
A month in Thailand
A month in Thailand
A month in Nam going north to south
A month in Indonesia

and thats just the OS stuff

Snorkeling in Milne Bay PNG.
Hiking in New Zealand.
Kakadu.
2 week self drive around Tasmania.
Lord Howe Island.

Camping holidays as a kid in the 60s early 70s with the family.

* Swimming with the mrs in the great barrier reef by ourselves when a school of 1,000+ fish just swim right past us. Made me realize how insignificant we really are
* Spending a few hours on a balcony of an air bnb in the suburbs of Amsterdam watching kids play soccer in the streets and just watching the day to day life go by. P.S I was pretty stoned
* Being at Yas Waterworld in Abu Dhabi on a hot day where the park would have been lucky to have 500 people there. Could go on any ride/watersldie without waiting all day
* Basically the same as above again but this time at Busch Gardens in Tampa
* Going in a drinking tournament on the boat ride from Isla Mujeres to Cancun on NYE after we had spent the day swimming with dolphins
* Driving in a mercades A-class on the autobahn and getting up to almost 220km/hr
* A boat ride in the Melissani Cave in Kefalonia, Greece
* A day exploring all of the monuments and libraries around Washington DC
* Walking along the riverwalk in San Antonio, absolutely amzing
* Gardens by the bay at Singapore at night time is absolutely amazing
* Attending a premier league match at Liverpool and the NFL at San Francisco are high up the list too
* Helicopter flight over and to the bottom of the grand canyon
* Leaving Venice on a cruise ship at dusk. Being able to be high up and get a view back into venice was amazing!

Last edited:
- Scooting about on a zodiac just metres from leopard seals resting on icebergs and having Humpbacks diving all around you.
- Your first glimpse of places like Machu Picchu, the Grand Canyon, Iguazu Falls, The Empire State Building, Teotichucan

Our world is amazing.
I’ve travelled a fair bit... but then I’ve never been to Africa, never to India/Nepal, never New Zealand, no Pacific Islands, no Japan/Korea/Hong Kong, no Russia, no Middle East, no Central Asia.

At least you have some close(ish) options left if you only have a week or two to holiday somewhere.

Our world is amazing.
A couple of mine are Antarctica as well.
Those zodiac cruises are awesome. Hopped on an iceberg, maybe 50 metres across. And woke a couple of leopard seals when the ice crunched under foot.
Clear late night in Neko Harbour, sunset hit at close to midnight and the ice started getting just a hint of colour in it from the refraction.
Walking the edge of penguin colonies of a few thousand birds just going about their thing.

Surviving frescoes and detail of buildings in Pompeii and Herculaneum. Sure, you know before hand roughly what to expect (otherwise you wouldn't go) but some of it still beats expectation.

Peru's Colca Canyon, unexpectedly stunning. I basically just went to Aerquipa and from there the Colca purely for the condors. Both places were great additions in their own way.

And some times its the simple things. Finding some good food (even if everyone else already knows about it). Lomo saltado at a tiny place in Lima, and something else I had on my first night there that I never found again (I forgot the name, even when I went back to the same place I ordered what I thought I had before but it was different), pizza in Naples is really that much better than pizza.

Singapore's transport system. It just works, and is uncrowded and clean.

When you arrive in a country for the first time and you take a subway from the airport to your destination, The moments just before you are leaving the underground station and you see the light and are seconds away from seeing the place for the first time....Hmm i wish i could bottle that feeling!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Camping holidays as a kid in the 60s early 70s with the family.

Camping Holidays were great. The kids used to ride in the back of the trailer to collect firewood, you'd cut some branches, pick up the loose kindling load up the trailer, sit atop the wood pile and hold on for dear life. If there was no traffic around a kid would occasionally take the wheel.

Then the camp fire at night would be started with a s**t load of gum leaves and everyone would have a drink and chill. (No way you'd get away with it now besides the obvious bushfire risk).

When you arrive in a country for the first time and you take a subway from the airport to your destination, The moments just before you are leaving the underground station and you see the light and are seconds away from seeing the place for the first time....Hmm i wish i could bottle that feeling!
I got the train from Boston to New York. I had been to NY before but when that skyline came into view. I know exactly what you are talking about,

Not sure if srs.

One thing im so glad, is my parents never made us go camping. We just had a holiday house.
We had a holiday house,on the peninsula,best thing ever every weekend was a holiday,it just seemed magical and relaxed and "exotic".
If it was sunny you went for a swim in Port Phillip Bay and froze but loved it.

We had a holiday house,on the peninsula,best thing ever every weekend was a holiday,it just seemed magical and relaxed and "exotic".
If it was sunny you went for a swim in Port Phillip Bay and froze but loved it.

Same.which peninsula? ?? We were Bellarine- Portarlington/St Leos

Xmas dinner with a friend's family in Vienna
Paragliding in Austrian alps
Driving around Tasmania
Flying business class with Emirates from Sydney to Bangkok - 9 hours of pure joy
And many instances of being in a bit of trouble e.g. broken down motorbike, and being helped by locals passing by

- Paragliding over gorgeous countryside of Austria.

Did the same thing, was very fun!

Last edited:
The rain out reminds me of SE Asia during wet season. Nothing like sitting through a real storm. Can be quite spectacular. If we had rain like that we'd be out of action for a month.

Xmas dinner with a friend's family in Vienna
Paragliding in Austrian alps
Driving around Tasmania
And many instances of being in a bit of trouble e.g. broken down motorbike, and being helped by locals passing by

Did the same thing, was very fun!

Was so good. My guy was an absolute pisser, remember laughing, alot.

Skydiving out of a chopper in Switzerland would have been better tho if not for the s**t weather :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back