Review Positives and Negatives against Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

There's also no current reason to believe the next few seasons will be nothing but brave losses due to missing personnel. If nothing was done to change this last season then why would anything change now. I really can't get excited anymore about how good our best 22 might be because it's never going to happen.
We changed the coach / some assistants last year. Fair to say that this year was giving the current SC team the benefit of the doubt which they have failed miserably. I assume the Freo Board will know this and will be looking for replacements now to completely revamp this side of the club for next year.

Not sure if COVID will hinder this process or provide opportunity for a massive coup with big guns wanted to move to a covid free place. If they decide that covid becomes a year extension of the SC team's last chance then I think they will lose a lot of members.

I know exactly what your talking about. He looked like c3po trying to pick the ball up and getting tackled a second later. Just an idiotic player with limited agility.

You expect to rebuild your entire list in 1 year? Its a new start. It will take 3-5 years at best and in all reality and as a Eagles fan too, I can honestly say year 1 is off to a very very good start

Cerra/Brayshaw having career best seasons. Young/Serong are two absolute jets. Tucker/Duman working into solid best 22 players finally. Frederics/Sturt/Schultz showing signs despite playing in a struggling forward line at present without much structure (which is fixable with more time).

This is opposed to last year when id say you had nothing good happen at all. Like literally nothing. Cannot for the life of me think of a positive from last year you had compared to what I mentioned in the above
I appreciate your positivity, and I too agree that the club is trending in an upward direction, but shouldn't the rebuilding of the list have been completed between the years of 2017 and 2020?

I appreciate your positivity, and I too agree that the club is trending in an upward direction, but shouldn't the rebuilding of the list have been completed between the years of 2017 and 2020?
Rebuilds take a long time -- even when you do them right.

Hodge & Mitchell drafted 2001. Franklin, Lewis, Roughhead: 2004. Hawks win flag in 2008 "ahead of schedule".

But I don't know whether we have done the rebuild right. There are no guarantees. Carlton are still rebuilding. Rebuilds are risky ideas decided on by footy club managers who don't have a lot of respect for their players or fans.

Rebuilds take a long time -- even when you do them right.

Hodge & Mitchell drafted 2001. Franklin, Lewis, Roughhead: 2004. Hawks win flag in 2008 "ahead of schedule".

But I don't know whether we have done the rebuild right. There are no guarantees. Carlton are still rebuilding. Rebuilds are risky ideas decided on by footy club managers who don't have a lot of respect for their players or fans.
This is correct. For the first time in the history of the club we have gone hard at the national draft for several years in a row, a proper rebuild. 2016-2019 - it will be 2023 to 2027 before we see proper dividends from this investment, but when we do it should be the most sustained period of competing at the pointy end in the clubs history. If we keep topping up at the draft over the next 2-3 years and leverage the NGA when we start to rise up the ladder, we will have long term success.
It took Richmond 10 years from drafting Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance to win a flag.
Need to be patient, keep our players fit and retain our higher end talent. The good times are coming I have no doubt.

I’m not impressed but I’m not depressed either.

Injuries suck - and the S&C team needs to be put under a very strong microscope, and then combed through with a very fine toothed metal nit-comb and anything/anyone that’s caught in between the teeth needs turfing.

Young players = very good.
Bit players (you know who) = very, very, very bad. GAGF and don’t come back.

Skills - uninspiring. But young and inexperienced and pissing down makes it difficult.

Darcy - inconsistency from game to game is frustrating, but still only 22. Not ready to s**t-can him just yet. Would be good to get a look at Meek, but debuting against Grundy is asking to have his confidence shot completely. But if Darcy is injured then there might not be a choice.

Game plan in the wet seemed to make very little sense, but this year is a learning and development year. We’re only going to win a couple more games, so getting them to try and pinpoint kicks and play a possession game might be dumb coaching for wet weather football, but the long game might be better served by playing like that.

We probably started at -3 goals with Maggetts umpiring, so in real terms we kicked 5 goals to their 6, so it was actually another fairly close game where we weren’t blown off the park. 👍🏽

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is largely from a North perspective following their game with Carlton, but there's some interesting stuff in here about watching games with a view to the longterm.

Basically:

1. Working out which of your younger players are going to be great based on their ability to break-out, and then to respond to greater focus from opposition teams when they realise how good they are.

2. How to get minutes into players that project to be longterm players

3. Different development pathways needed for players; those who can get thrown into the fire early and adapt, and those who need time in seconds to build.

4. Considering how many experienced players need to be in the team before you reach the tipping point.

Now I’ll tell you boyo, back in 2001 that was tough.

You’ve got luuuuuxury.
2001 we'd been a club for five years or so. We were Gold Coast 2016-17 without the concessions. There were legit reasons for being crap.
I'm of the opinion that looking holistically this may be worse, a club that's been in the league 25 years and is five years into a rebuld and dishing up this garbage

We changed the coach / some assistants last year. Fair to say that this year was giving the current SC team the benefit of the doubt which they have failed miserably. I assume the Freo Board will know this and will be looking for replacements now to completely revamp this side of the club for next year.

Not sure if COVID will hinder this process or provide opportunity for a massive coup with big guns wanted to move to a covid free place. If they decide that covid becomes a year extension of the SC team's last chance then I think they will lose a lot of members.

I don't see how the coach and assistants would have been relevant in the equation, and our injury management has been awful for four years not including 2020. Seems very silly to wag our finger and say "ok guys, this year is your super super last chance" and if we did we absolutely deserve to be in the position we are and finish bottom 4.

There seems to be an attitude around Freo fans of "oh well just bad luck, but look how hard our teenagers are trying" when luck cannot be blamed when you do literally nothing to prevent the worst case scenario from happening.

There seems to be an attitude around Freo fans of "oh well just bad luck, but look how hard our teenagers are trying"
I'm sorry, is there somewhere else I should be looking? I don't think I've spoken to or read from a single Freo fan who is not fed up with the club's mismanagement of injuries.

Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the growth of our teenagers.

No game sense. Ethan Hughes makes mistakes for the same basic reason. Tabs is similar. Its not a lack of desire to do the right thing. Just an inability to read where the game is at right in that moment.

I think that’s a big unfair on Hughes. He’s really reduced the number of brain farts this season and us playing mostly within his limitations. Personally, I’d rather have him in the back line than Conca, Wilson or Duman.

Negative is Taberner has kicked 3 of Freo’s 7 goals last two weeks. One more and it’s 50%. That’s just pathetic.
Where’s the smalls capitalising. Shows the quality of the group up forward. There’s competition for those spots yet the wrong combination is playing.
Put in McCarthy, Sturt and Henry.. the quality is better.
Cant stand Banfield Matera and Schulz any longer. Club is worser with them in.

I think that’s a big unfair on Hughes. He’s really reduced the number of brain farts this season and us playing mostly within his limitations. Personally, I’d rather have him in the back line than Conca, Wilson or Duman.
And same on Tabs. His decision making has improved. actually kicked well around the field
Hughes hardly does most wrong. Look at even the experienced, “do no wrong” types. Aish hasn’t had a great fortnight, nor has Conca.

Man, last night I saw Hughes take a decent contested mark at half back only to think kicking the ball 10m to a stationary target on a wet night with about 20 seconds to go in the Q was the right play.

2001 we'd been a club for five years or so. We were Gold Coast 2016-17 without the concessions. There were legit reasons for being crap.
I'm of the opinion that looking holistically this may be worse, a club that's been in the league 25 years and is five years into a rebuld and dishing up this garbage
I'd agree if we didn't have 16/22 out for TBA.

Longmuir is inheriting a list that's in its 4th year of a rebuild, there's a distinction. If anything longmuir has less excuses for failure 3 years from now.

He has 4 of his top 6 defenders out in Young/Hamling/Pearce and Logue. His CHF out in Hogan and his best midfielder out in Fyfe. If that isnt a excuse then what is :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back