Analysis Positives and Negatives for Season 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I said this in the Geelong +/- thread and I'll say it again here. 15 wins ain't bad for a team that barely looked like they got out of second gear this year. Made games harder for ourselves against the bottom teams than they needed to be, and when we lost, we got smashed.

They got themselves a few extra weeks off this year, hope they get all the rest and recoup necessary and come back out smashing teams in 2020.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I said this in the Geelong +/- thread and I'll say it again here. 15 wins ain't bad for a team that barely looked like they got out of second gear this year. Made games harder for ourselves against the bottom teams than they needed to be, and when we lost, we got smashed.

They got themselves a few extra weeks off this year, hope they get all the rest and recoup necessary and come back out smashing teams in 2020.
I think that’s what hurts the most, at least for me. You can handle it when the team gives their all and you still fall short, ala Brisbane Lions. But when you know the full potential of the side it’s frustrating when we don’t get close to that often. Geelong were the better team last night but gave 100% and still only won by 20. Meanwhile we decide to only turn up for 2 quarters and think that’ll be enough. Had the chance to build something really memorable but blew it throughout the year.

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
Negative:

The Gov Barass Harry High Pants should have been a warning sign that a fair chunk of our side weren’t committed to doing what was required to go back to back.

Maybe internally there was some recriminations, but I suspect the Simpson love in approach falls short when you have reached the summit.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Strange season. We didn't play like a team that was percentage off top 4. Yet after round 21 we had the third best percentage in the competition. Realistically it all went wrong in that Hawthorn debacle.

Rotham, Watson and Cameron all made debuts. All three are worth keeping by far. Tick. Josh Smith, unless he gets another year, is a cross.

Waterman found his mojo again. Tick. I think he can be quite the player so I'm glad he's back in the frame.

Nelson to me was a dead set certainty to be delisted at the start of the year. Credit to him he's now holding Cole and Duggan out of the side. Tick.

Tom Hickey. Meh. Did enough to suggest he isn't useless and that he is more capable than Vardy at times. Tick.

Petrucelle got a good run at it. He'll be better in the long run. Tick.

Oscar Allen, future star. Massive tick.

Liam Ryan, amazing year. Defensive side to his game gives him potential to obtain genuine A grade status. Tick.

Venables, got concussed. Cross.

Willie, under investigation for being a tosser. Cross

Ah Chee. Should've played more. Hope he gets another contract and proper game time. Cross but not though any fault of his own.

So not a bad year for the young blokes and depth all things considered. Unfortunately the midfield dilemma still exists but we have young defenders and forwards aplenty so the future is still in good hands.

ThePuma #9

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
Going fwd for mine.. every game we lost we seem to have been out done at the contest.
Trade hard for Kelly and instead of picking up cheap speculative outside players, look at inside players who can't get a game elsewhere.
Even willing to give CEY a go!!

Ellis Yolman is exactly the type of player i want. Much prefer him than SPP.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives

Whilst it was clear we had a premiership hangover for most of the year, only played in spurts in most games compared to 2018, at least we didn't do a Bulldogs and miss the finals all together. Only time we put teams away was when they rolled over and it was an easy kill, the hunger was missing this year.

Negatives

We wasted a chance to go back to back mainly due to lack of hunger, we showed when we switched on we could beat anyone.

Players

So many players under performed over the whole of the year.

Player ratings for me for those who played during the year

Ryan- 7 Excellent season, can fade out of games, if he can be harder for longer will be scary for the other teams.
Waterman -6 - Gets a bad rap on here, but i love the gut running he does, got some great experience this year, and has an upside for me.
Gaff - 8 Normal Gaff season, runs his arse off and this year i thought he got a bit more involved in the contested ball, and put his body on the line.
Sheed - 5 Started ok, but is this generations Priddis, big accumulator, kicks around the corner and slow as treacle, great kick for goal though.
Sheppard - 9 Would have to be favourite with Yeo for F & B, played like he wanted the flag, unlike some of his mates.
Yeo- 9 Could win 3rd F & B in a row, tackling monster, only knock for me he can cruise at times during games.
Masten -4 Too many brain fades during games, time is up for him, get a youngster in his spot, Petch out there for me.
Redden -7 Reasonably consistent season for Jack, just didn't reach the heights of last years form.
Nic nat - 6 Showed what he brings, just hope he can string a full season together, not holding my breath on that.
Brander - 3 Didn't show a whole heap in games played, but can see him playing across half forward as the connection between backs and forwards
Oscar- 7.5 Going to be a star for a long time, we have our key forwards set up for the future with him and Waterman.
Shuey - 8.5 didn't reach the heights of GF day, but still a key mid,sometimes tries to do a bit to much, a full season with Nic feeding him would be nice.
Duggan - 6 Injuries didn't help, but like a lot of youngsters seemed to drop off after winning a flag so early in his career.
Cripps- 6.5 Was awesome in some games, and absolutely invisible in others, as a leader should be more consistent.
Hickey - 7.5 I think he was a very handy recruit, he is never going to be a No 1 ruckman, but his hands in close are very good.
JK - 5 Father time has got to JK sadly, should only play at home next year, have to look after him so if we have another finals tilt he is fresh.
Venables 3 Even before the injury seemed to suffering from the premiership hangover, big year for him next year if he is serious about being a very good AFL footballer, which he shows in glimpses.
Vardy - 4 Very poor after such a great GF, cross roads in his career next year, another poor season could end his AFL career.
McGovern 8 Not his usual season IMO and a touch lucky to be all Australian, still super important to our set ups.
Petch - 5.5 Not a bad season for someone very early in his career, would love to see him replace Masten on the wing and use his main asset his speed.
Jetta 7 Elite ball user, and generally sets up all our attacking moves from the back, only issue is can be a touch casual.
Hurn 8.5 the glue in the back line, seems to be getting better with age, should have been all Australian captain.
Darling 9 Super season, and the new leader of our forward line, should be top 5 in F&B.
Cole 4 Looked like he enjoyed the off season and premiership celebrations far too much, looked well off the pace of AFL football.
Nelson 6 Thought he was done, showed tagging might be his go, maybe take over Hutchy's role if he can get a bigger tank.
Will- 7 So important to our structure down back, hopefully we can get one more season out of him.
Hutch 6 If he can't tag , then he can't play, does not offer much else and maybe time to give a youngster a shot at this role.
Rotham 5 Did not look out of place, he could be a very good player, just hard to get a shot in our back line.
Barrass 5.5 Injuries and a very obvious premiership hangover which he admitted , meant a poor season for him, will expect a much better season next year.
Cameron- 6 The surprise packet for me , got some good game time and will much better for it, we got a good one here.
AhChee - 5 Shows he can play just never consistent enough, needs to be given a longer stretch of games to see what he can offer.
Rioli - 7 Could be absolute elite, his vision and foot skills are amazing, just hope we seem him next year, does not look good though.

F & B Top 5 in no order
Yeo
Sheppard
Darling
Shuey
Gaff

5 for Sheed but 8.5s for both Shuey and Hurn.
Must've been watching a different West Coast team than you this year.
Very lenient on Shuey's meh year while super harsh on Sheed's year.

Cameron is a big positive for me. With Rioli most likely not to feature next year we need a classy forward to take his place and Cameron has Willies skills, is probably a bit quicker by foot, and hopefully is pissing in all the right cups.

Oscar Allen will be JK's replacement. Got a great pair of hands and with a little extra muscle will be able to hold down FF 2020 and beyond.

Barrass is a huge disappointment for me. Needs to keep his nose clean and put in a big pre-season.

dazzla

Debutant
Jun 30, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Some great analysis on the year guys, however, what is up with the Nelson love from some? Just my opinion, but, he is the biggest liability in our backline/team. Gets caught with the ball too often, weak disposal by foot and hand, and he doesn't use what could be his biggest asset in his run and pace nearly enough.
Cole and Duggan were well down this year but would have preferred the MC giving gametime to Rotham over Jackson, just my 3 cents... (apologies, not in positives/negatives format)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
No more BS, excuses or apologies from our fitness staff next year: get Nic Nat capable of being able to play 80% of game time.

Get him lighter, fitter and able to cover more ground and get to more contests

Get him to the pre season and push him to the absolute limit. Have him drop 5-7kgs. Monitor his calories and diet

I don't care if they have to live in a tent in his front yard to be get it done, just do it.

If this happens, we will win the 2020 flag 👍
Agree and Guv also needs to lose some weight as he's starting to look a bit pudgy again.

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives

- Liam Ryans season
- Hurn is like a fine Barossa Shiraz
- Gaffs 2nd half of the season
- NN should be ready to go for next year. Needs to slim down
- Shep was Shep
- OA and Waterman
- Blooding Petch, and Cameron
- Francis Watson and Rotham
- Hickey a success

Negatives

- Inability to play four quarters
- Wasted opportunity by not finishing in the 4
- Rioli 😱🥴
- Big one for me was DV concussion. Huge hit. Really would have been a great development year from him. Increase stamina, strength and importantly learn to win ball
- Dom Sheed late form slump.
- Duggan and Coles patchy form

I'm bullish for next year if TK is on board and we get a decent run w injury. We can certainly finish in the four and challenge.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Some great analysis on the year guys, however, what is up with the Nelson love from some? Just my opinion, but, he is the biggest liability in our backline/team. Gets caught with the ball too often, weak disposal by foot and hand, and he doesn't use what could be his biggest asset in his run and pace nearly enough.
Cole and Duggan were well down this year but would have preferred the MC giving gametime to Rotham over Jackson, just my 3 cents... (apologies, not in positives/negatives format)
I still see something in Nelson, guess the selection panel do too. Good at ground level 1-on-1s, goes hard, has some pace and a decent kick (when making the right decision). However, his decision-making in general isn't quite at the required level of a set-22 player.

Bottom line is we need a tenacious 'small' defender, if it isn't Duggan or Cole. If Nelson matures well over the next season after some finals experience, and with Schofield's position in flux, he may find a more permanent spot. I guess we're hoping he can pull his assets together.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
All the best for 2020. Losing to you guys in the big one last year was made easier by the class and humility shown by the majority of the supporters.
And the same for you guys. You get a bad rap as Collingwood supporters but are less likely to bandstand than many other clubs and last year in the main, very classy. Hope you get this one

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I still see something in Nelson, guess the selection panel do too. Good at ground level 1-on-1s, goes hard, has some pace and a decent kick (when making the right decision). However, his decision-making in general isn't quite at the required level of a set-22 player.

Bottom line is we need a tenacious 'small' defender, if it isn't Duggan or Cole. If Nelson matures well over the next season after some finals experience, and with Schofield's position in flux, he may find a more permanent spot. I guess we're hoping he can pull his assets together.
I actually like Nelson as a Player but he seems frightened of making a mistake. I think he is better than that but he is the first one out when a change is made. I've always thought he should be in the midfield

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives
Rotham, Bailey, Cameron, Oscar Allen, Waterman and Petrucelle I could see all of them getting better next year.
Rarely played 4 quarters and still made 5th without our no 1 ruck for 19 out of 24 games.
Jack Darling 59 goals from 24 games his best season in his career.
Hickey did really well playing his first year at a completely different club.
Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Gaff and Sheed did really well bar the last month. Gaff was our best in the last final.
Negatives
Rioli situation is terrible for the individual and the team. The synergy between Ryan and Rioli and the brotherhood of Ryan, Rioli and Jetta was really great for the club.
Venables missing for concussion was really worrying.
NicNat never really getting a clean run at it with injury.
Barrass and Gov being uncharacteristically bad one on one at times wasn't great.
Cole and Vardy both went backwards this year.
Always hard to go B2B and we haven't done it yet. Hopefully we can get a full preseason into Kennedy and NicNat and both get a relatively injury free run at it in 2020. Also Tim Kelly would go alright in our midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back