- OA and Waterman
- Blooding Petch, and Cameron
- Francis Watson and Rotham
- Hickey a success

Negatives

- Inability to play four quarters
- Wasted opportunity by not finishing in the 4
- Rioli 😱🥴
- Big one for me was DV concussion. Huge hit. Really would have been a great development year from him. Increase stamina, strength and importantly learn to win ball
- Dom Sheed late form slump.
- Duggan and Coles patchy form

I'm bullish for next year if TK is on board and we get a decent run w injury. We can certainly finish in the four and challenge.

Ditto

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
Sorry but our fault we didn't flog them by 100 like the rest of the top 4 did.

Win by more than 23 points at home and we finish second.

😐

is it really our fault that we played them in the first half of the season, before they decided as a team to just completely give up?

The hawks loss is our fault though

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
is it really our fault that we played them in the first half of the season, before they decided as a team to just completely give up?

The hawks loss is our fault though

Yeah I guess every team we failed to belt when most other top teams did decided to not give up when we played them.

Like the floggings Melbourne were receiving and then they decided to not give up against us...
I see it now😒

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
Negatives:
  • A positives and negatives discussion this early in September.
  • Going on Big Footy during the off season wont be as much fun.
  • Willie.
  • Rosco being sacked.
  • Suma.
Positives:
  • Wont be spending as much time on Big Footy this off season.
  • Beat the Purple Muppets twice.
  • Suma provided categorical evidence why he's never made it past the interviews to senior coach.

Percentage.... Percentage.... PERCENTAGE 📉 🤦‍♂️

Our season was realistically curtains when we decided to wet the bed and blow our last 2 games, effectively allowing Collingwood to Bradbury a top 4 spot.

They leapfrogged us with 5.2% being the difference. They are likely about to play in the grand final, that's how important it was to them.

However that wouldn't have even happened if we had a killer instinct and put teams to the sword in games we were in complete control over.

Gold Coast in round 6: :crossmark:

After kicking 8.8 and leading by 39 points going into half time, in the second half we had 9 scoring shots and kicked 3.6 at a conversion rate of 33.3%
Fold Coast on the other hand DIDN'T put the cue in the rack, and ground out 10 more scoring shots and kicked 6.4 at a conversion rate of 60%

Effectively turned what could have been a 10+ goal win into a 23 point win

Saints in round 8: :crossmark:

In the final quarter we had 9 scoring shots for 1.8, at a conversion rate of 11.1%
Saints had 6 scoring shots and kicked 4.2 at a rate of 66.7%

Considering the game was well and truly done and dusted, we went to sleep and turned what could have been a 7+ goal win into an 18 point win.

On the other side of the coin, and example of us finishing a team off properly was (excluding the dockers game because that was too easy) -

Western Bulldogs in round 11: :whitecheck:

First half was an arm wrestle, with bulldogs failing to convert and us taking a 10 point lead into half time after kicking 7.3
Bulldogs struggled all day with our defense, particularly in the first half when they kicked 4.10 at a rate of 28.6%
Instead of going to sleep in the 2nd half like usual, we put the foot down and kicked 14.4 from 18 scoring shots at a conversion rate of 77.8%

Turned a slender lead into a powerful display.

Nuffies in the review threads after these games will go "Whoah stop melting, a wins a win, some fickle supporters are just never happy..." etc etc

Now i'm not expecting people to have a melt over percentage after each game, but i DO expect it to at least be acknowledged as important and a missed opportunity when it happens, as demonstrated by season 2019.

• It also works both ways. In games where we are getting smashed like Cats, Port, Sydney or Hawthorn, we won only ONE last quarter.

This suggests that the team is easy pickings when an opposition has us on the ropes, and we don't know how to grind out games properly :raisedhands: 🏳

Our AVG losing margin was 33.4 points this year. Our AVG win margin was 29 points (25 points if you take out the dockers game)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
5 for Sheed but 8.5s for both Shuey and Hurn.
Must've been watching a different West Coast team than you this year.
Very lenient on Shuey's meh year while super harsh on Sheed's year.
Shuey came 8th in the coaches votes and made the AA squad. Hardly a meh year. His last couple of games were definitely average though

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Dark Sharks going bang this offseason as the stats man
Count.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Percentage.... Percentage.... PERCENTAGE 📉 🤦‍♂️

snip

Gold Coast in round 6: :crossmark:

After kicking 8.8 and leading by 39 points going into half time, in the second half we had 9 scoring shots and kicked 3.6 at a conversion rate of 33.3%
Fold Coast on the other hand DIDN'T put the cue in the rack, and ground out 10 more scoring shots and kicked 6.4 at a conversion rate of 60%

Effectively turned what could have been a 10+ goal win into a 23 point win

Saints in round 8: :crossmark:

In the final quarter we had 9 scoring shots for 1.8, at a conversion rate of 11.1%
Saints had 6 scoring shots and kicked 4.2 at a rate of 66.7%

Considering the game was well and truly done and dusted, we went to sleep and turned what could have been a 7+ goal win into an 18 point win.

On the other side of the coin, and example of us finishing a team off properly was (excluding the dockers game because that was too easy) -

Western Bulldogs in round 11: :whitecheck:

First half was an arm wrestle, with bulldogs failing to convert and us taking a 10 point lead into half time after kicking 7.3
Bulldogs struggled all day with our defense, particularly in the first half when they kicked 4.10 at a rate of 28.6%
Instead of going to sleep in the 2nd half like usual, we put the foot down and kicked 14.4 from 18 scoring shots at a conversion rate of 77.8%

Turned a slender lead into a powerful display.
snip

Carlton game :crossmark: up by 7 goals and they kicked 3 in the final 2.5 mins to make it a 4 goal game.
Essendon game :crossmark: absolutely dominated them and couldn't kick straight for a 10 goal win to be a 5 goal win.

Both those games gave me the shits.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast

Not sure if this is a postive or a negative?
Clear roles for forwards, but lack of goals from midfield?

Probably part our gameplan and part had the same core playing most of the season. Our defenders don't burst forward to kick goals. Without looking, I'd say none of them goalled this year. Don't even think McGovern went forward much, if at all.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
A massive negative thats overlooked is the injuries from Optus Stadium. Oscar Allen forced out by it near end of the season killed our structure if you ask me. The Hickey/Naitanui combo isnt a good one.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
+ Our medical and strength/conditioning teams seemed to nail it this year. One of our better injury years in a long time. They dealt with the Optus lower leg nightmares much better than last year.

I know luck comes into it, but compare it with Freo and our management is streets ahead.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
What makes this season a waste is that we had a healthy list.. and we only made the semi finals. We had the most healthy list from the competing teams in the finals, and that hurts.

Healthy in appearances maybe, but as has been alluded to on here, I think a number of players were playing injured at the back end. Barrass and Gov already mentioned, JK too, and there would be others.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Healthy in appearances maybe, but as has been alluded to on here, I think a number of players were playing injured at the back end. Barrass and Gov already mentioned, JK too, and there would be others.
Yep - I think we may have miscalculated by having guys push through injury. A really tough call, as it may have cost us games mid-season if players were rested, but the team really ran out of steam by the end of the year.

Yep - I think we may have miscalculated by having guys push through injury. A really tough call, as it may have cost us games mid-season if players were rested, but the team really ran out of steam by the end of the year.

I think that is the disappointing thing. In 2018 we backed the guys to come in from the seconds and play their part. We could have easily got some exposure to Mallen, seen more of Brander and Rotham. Spelled JJK and a couple of the others along the way to hit the end of the year fresher in some of our match winners.

Oh well.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I know stats don’t always say everything..... but while it was well publicised that our post clearance numbers were ranked 18th in the comp, I did not realise just how far back we were.

Gold Coast (understandably) were ranked 17th in Post-Clearance Ground Ball wins with a -128 differential across the season.

We were ranked 18th, with a whopping -259 differential. Twice as poor as the next worst side. I doubt there’d be many other stats so lopsided against one team

The ground ball win deficiency is only going to get worse without Rioli in the side too.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

Yeo had a dodgy calf , Hurn nursed his hammy and ditto Hutchings. Sheed had a groin issue.. the list goes on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back